Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times

Advertisements

To all the people thinking that now is a good time to make a change in life,

This year is going to be an extremely difficult year economically for our country. In times like we have when everyone will feel some pain, the weak areas will falter and the strong areas will survive. If you are thinking about where would be a better place, let me tell you I believe that place to be the Triangle. We moved here from a decaying part of Massachusetts. We now live in the Triangle. Cary specifically. I cannot begin to tell you the overwhelming difference it has made in our lives. We are able to afford so much more here, day to day life is far superior, things are run better, taxes are much lower, the weather is amazing and there is an unlimited amount of things to do with all the choices here. My wife and I talk about our brilliant move a lot now. We didn't realize how good the move would end up being beforehand, but we sure realize it now. In these tough times, we are so grateful that we moved here. We haven't personally felt any economic pain here ourselves. Other than a slower housing market, with no mass depreciation happening, we wouldn't even realize the nation is in a recession. Life is the best it has ever been. I am sure anything can happen in the future, but we couldn't pick a better place to be in good times and bad. While no place is for everyone, I have to give the Triangle a big thumbs up.

There is no guarantee that it would be the same for you, but we have lived in both ends of the spectrum and it is clear to me that the Triangle is a winner. I suggest that if you are considering a move, you should spend some time in our wonderful neck of the woods to see how you like it. It might just do for you what it did for us.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:40 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times
Wow, you really think NC will survive after the new president brings corruption to our country that has been perfect for the last 8 years? I think the whole country will quite *obviously* collapse. What were we all thinking, voting for hope and change? (In other words: your status line distracts from any point you try to make. You're alienating 55% of the people who read your posts, including me.)

Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 PM

372 posts, read 808,444 times
What area exactly is the triangle? I might want to look into it for relocation from what you have to say about it, it sounds like a good place. I would be coming from NH.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:05 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
To all the people thinking that now is a good time to make a change in life,

This year is going to be an extremely difficult year economically for our country. In times like we have when everyone will feel some pain, the weak areas will falter and the strong areas will survive. If you are thinking about where would be a better place, let me tell you I believe that place to be the Triangle. We moved here from a decaying part of Massachusetts. We now live in the Triangle. Cary specifically. I cannot begin to tell you the overwhelming difference it has made in our lives. We are able to afford so much more here, day to day life is far superior, things are run better, taxes are much lower, the weather is amazing and there is an unlimited amount of things to do with all the choices here. My wife and I talk about our brilliant move a lot now. We didn't realize how good the move would end up being beforehand, but we sure realize it now. In these tough times, we are so grateful that we moved here. We haven't personally felt any economic pain here ourselves. Other than a slower housing market, with no mass depreciation happening, we wouldn't even realize the nation is in a recession. Life is the best it has ever been. I am sure anything can happen in the future, but we couldn't pick a better place to be in good times and bad. While no place is for everyone, I have to give the Triangle a big thumbs up.

There is no guarantee that it would be the same for you, but we have lived in both ends of the spectrum and it is clear to me that the Triangle is a winner. I suggest that if you are considering a move, you should spend some time in our wonderful neck of the woods to see how you like it. It might just do for you what it did for us.
Glad to hear that you like it in NC. It's good to hear positive comments about the area!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:07 PM

264 posts, read 907,240 times
Did a realtor pay you to write that ?

Many people are hurting in North Carolina and it is not recession proof as you make it out to be.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Are we REALLY going to start this again? Come on dude! Give it a rest!

As far as the person moving from NH .........WHAT?!?! lol

With the exception of having warmer weather I can't for the life if me figure out why someone would consider NC to have a higher QOL than NH! NH is so beautiful! Everything is well kept, low unemployment statewide, low crime statewide...closer to the ocean AND mountains, low taxes (these are things that everyone cites as their reasons for wanting to move to NC...but from what I've seen, they are even more true in NH). Unless you really really don't like cold winters, I can't imagine why you'd rather live in NC than NH. It would be my first choice to live if proximity to family wasn't my main reason for moving back to NY. I guess everyone has varying preferences though!

Last edited by just_sayin'; 01-09-2009 at 08:25 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 08:25 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Are we REALLY going to start this again? Come on dude! Give it a rest!

As far as the person moving from NH .........WHAT?!?!

With the exception of having warmer weather I can't for the life if me figure out why you would consider NC to have a higher QOL than NH! NH is so beautiful! Everything is well kept, low unemployment statewide, low crime statewide...closer to the ocean AND mountains, low taxes. Unless you really really don't like cold winters, I can't imagine why you'd rather live in NC than NH. It would be my first choice to live if proximity to family wasn't my main reason for moving back to NY.
I've actually lived in NH and I would take NC any day...

I also think the QOL is much higher here than in NH

Old 01-09-2009, 08:26 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times
Actually, we are looking at Raleigh, among other cities, to relocate to from West MI. I'm not sure how much doom and gloom currently exist in the Triangle, but it's really scary here. Double digit unemployment, crime increasing, police being laid off, every type of store, restaurant and what have you going out of business. I'm sure some of this is going on in the Triangle too, just like most places, but I'm curious how much.

Our first choice is Knoxville TN, but things are going down hill there. We like Raleigh due to the weather, proximity to the ocean, bible belt, low crime and friendly people. Though the OP painted a great picture of the area, are any of you seeing things going down the toilet like us in MI or is the OP fairly accurate?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:26 PM

38 posts, read 80,741 times
To Charlton Dude
A big WHATEVER to that
this area was flooded with people thinking it was some gold mine.
I remember reading Raleigh tops the list, Raleigh best place for business blah blah blah
So many people actually beleiving this false hype we are hurting like the rest of the nation just not as bad but we are still hurting
Now trying to find a job its nearly impossible

Old 01-09-2009, 08:33 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
(In other words: your status line distracts from any point you try to make. You're alienating 55% of the people who read your posts, including me.)

Then I suggest 55% not read my posts.

Last edited by Charlton Dude; 01-09-2009 at 08:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary