U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2007, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Northeast
10 posts, read 38,680 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hi everyone

I know there is a thread on Creedmoor already but it kinda went South so I thought I would start another one.

I currently live up North and I am looking for a house in the Creedmoor area. I currently saw 3 houses I really like via the internet. I would be working in Butner (would already have a job so that won't be an issue) so I thought this might be a good area to look. Anyone who has been to Creedmoor want to give me a heads up of the area? Are taxes typically cheaper here than in Durham or Raleigh area?

From what I found online it seems to have a couple gas stations, a grocery store, a subway, chinese food place but no real stores or anything. Is it really that far out of the way? I would like to be close to things but just out of the way. What about a Walmart/Target or even a Lowes/Home Depot? Stores like that around?? I am used to woods not neighbors right on top of me. How far is the actual ride to Raleigh or Durham? I did a mapquest but I don't always trust there driving times. The houses seem to be priced right for what I am looking for. Also from the realtor I talked to and from a friend who just relocated there he told me it is an up and coming area. Right or wrong here?

Any area's other than Creedmoor you can suggest to me that is near Butner? I would like a 20-25 min commute or less to work.

I would be looking for a price range around $130,000 if anyone was curious or if this helps with the advice I get.

Thanks for any replies I might get here
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Wake Forest
3,124 posts, read 12,179,762 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlife View Post
Hi everyone

I know there is a thread on Creedmoor already but it kinda went South so I thought I would start another one.

I currently live up North and I am looking for a house in the Creedmoor area. I currently saw 3 houses I really like via the internet. I would be working in Butner so I thought this might be a good area to look. Anyone who has been to Creedmoor want to give me a heads up of the area? Are taxes typically cheaper hear than in Durham or Raleigh area?

From what I found online it seems to have a couple gas stations, a grocery store, a subway, chinese food place but no real stores or anything. Is it really that far out of the way? I would like to be close to things but just out of the way. I am used to woods not neighbors right on top of me. How far is the actual ride to Raleigh or Durham? I did a mapquest but I don't always trust there driving times. The houses seem to be priced right for what I am looking for. Also from the realtor I talked to and from a friend who just relocated there he told me it is an up and coming area. Right or wrong here?

Any area's other than Creedmoor you can suggest to me that is near Butner? I would like a 20-25 min commute or less to work.

I would be looking for a price range around $130,000 if anyone was curious or if this helps with the advice I get.

Thanks for any replies I might get here
"...it seems to have a couple gas stations, a grocery store, a subway, chinese food place but no real stores or anything. Is it really that far out of the way? "

Yeah...that is pretty much it. There is a Sonic, (I love their diet cherry limeade, lol!). No stores, few resturants. (Try Pergamons in the little strip mall. Very good food and wonderful pizza though you'd never guess just looking at it.)

Up and coming? Maybe, the traffic out of town in the mornings is growing, but that remains to be seen yet. Depending on where you work, the commute is do-able. (We do the reverse, commute from WF to Butner.) The drive from Butner into downtown Raleigh is 45 mintues with no traffic, it can easily go over an hour if you hit anything and only one place to pass a slow moving car (of which there are plenty) on 50.

There just isn't a lot up there yet and other then plans for the next Wal-mart and currently taxes are cheaper.

You mention you want a 25 min commute...but where are you commuting to? That will influence suggustions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2007, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Northeast
10 posts, read 38,680 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post

You mention you want a 25 min commute...but where are you commuting to? That will influence suggustions.

As my original post states I will be working in Butner So that would be where I am commuting to.....

I guess I had the right idea about Creedmoor being pretty far out of the way of things..... What is the drive like to Durham and the mall down that way? You said there are plans in the works for a Walmart??

Thanks for the response.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2007, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Wake Forest
3,124 posts, read 12,179,762 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlife View Post
As my original post states I will be working in Butner

I guess I had the right idea about Creedmoor being pretty far out of the way of things..... What is the drive like to Durham and the mall down that way?
I thought that, but wasn't sure but thought I'd ask. (I gather that you may work at the prison, Polk, Umstead or Murdock? Those are the main reason's anyone works in Butner.)Northgate Mall? Easy drive except in rush hour, right down 85, it's maybe 20 minutes...a bit more if you go down Old 75 by the prison.

If you like urban life, Durham may be the best for you. Wake Forest is the other option, it puts you between Butner and Raleigh, about a half hour in either direction.

Last edited by Desdemona123; 03-07-2007 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: for clarity
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2007, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Northeast
10 posts, read 38,680 times
Reputation: 11
I thought about Wake Forest as an option. I heard the prices are going up on houses in the area though. Trying to get closer to work for less of a commute. I would rather drive 20 min to get to the mall than the reverse of living far from work and close to the mall/stores. Where I currently live it takes about 35 mins to get to the nearest mall. So 20 mins would be cake.

As for the local Walmart that is about 7 mins down the road here. I remember when we had nothing here. No Walmart, no K-Mart, no McDonalds, No Wendys. Nothing... just woods..... Now it is being built up.... Light after light...

How are the lakes around Creedmoor? Isn't there a nice one just Northwest of Creedmoor? Can't remember the name but I saw it on mapquest. What is the other big one? Falls Lake?

What do people do for fun around there? Laughs.... Any bars in Creedmoor/Butner? Bowling? Pool Halls? Anything???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2007, 10:35 PM
 
Location: Wake Forest
3,124 posts, read 12,179,762 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlife View Post
I thought about Wake Forest as an option. I heard the prices are going up on houses in the area though. Trying to get closer to work for less of a commute. I would rather drive 20 min to get to the mall than the reverse of living far from work and close to the mall/stores. Where I currently live it takes about 35 mins to get to the nearest mall. So 20 mins would be cake.

As for the local Walmart that is about 7 mins down the road here. I remember when we had nothing here. No Walmart, no K-Mart, no McDonalds, No Wendys. Nothing... just woods..... Now it is being built up.... Light after light...

How are the lakes around Creedmoor? Isn't there a nice one just Northwest of Creedmoor? Can't remember the name but I saw it on mapquest. What is the other big one? Falls Lake?

What do people do for fun around there? Laughs.... Any bars in Creedmoor/Butner? Bowling? Pool Halls? Anything???
There is a nice, large mall (TriangleTown) from Wake Forest, and yes, prices are going up here. but they are slowly raising everywhere. Still, you can find deals if you shop wisely. Lots of resturants and bars, things to do.

Kerr Lake is north of Creedmoor, nice as it goes and good fishing I am told. Falls Lake is all around it, some places are off limits to boats with engines (as it is also the drinking water for much of Raleigh).

There is one dive pool hall (Randy's - behind Pergamons, not a bad place as dive bars go), bowling? ROTFLMAO....bowling is not a big sport down here in general, a small town like Butner/Creedmoor would not have a bowling alley like every other small down does up North. There is the Main Street Cafe in Creedmoor (used to be Van & John's but I hear Van and John had a fight and the partners broke up), it's okay, nicer then Randy's, but nothing special and the food is average at best. No movie theatres.

To be honest, I'd rather have less house in Wake Forest or Durham then live up there, there just isn't much there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2007, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Northeast
10 posts, read 38,680 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
There is a nice, large mall (TriangleTown) from Wake Forest, and yes, prices are going up here. but they are slowly raising everywhere. Still, you can find deals if you shop wisely. Lots of resturants and bars, things to do.

Kerr Lake is north of Creedmoor, nice as it goes and good fishing I am told. Falls Lake is all around it, some places are off limits to boats with engines (as it is also the drinking water for much of Raleigh).

There is one dive pool hall (Randy's - behind Pergamons, not a bad place as dive bars go), bowling? ROTFLMAO....bowling is not a big sport down here in general, a small town like Butner/Creedmoor would not have a bowling alley like every other small down does up North. There is the Main Street Cafe in Creedmoor (used to be Van & John's but I hear Van and John had a fight and the partners broke up), it's okay, nicer then Randy's, but nothing special and the food is average at best. No movie theatres.

To be honest, I'd rather have less house in Wake Forest or Durham then live up there, there just isn't much there.
Thank You for all the info. I will keep everything in mind when searching around NC for a place to plant myself
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2007, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Northeast
10 posts, read 38,680 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
oceanlife,

If your interested contact me through pm or email me. I have the perfect person that knows the Creedmoor area like the back of his hand, and can be a great help to you. Born and raised in Durham area, and now an agent can really help you. Was also a policeman in the Raleigh and Durham area also. I have sent you a pm with some further info.

Regards,
Debbie

Thank You Debbie
I got your pm and responded back to you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2007, 09:38 PM
 
251 posts, read 1,100,460 times
Reputation: 167
There are at least three nice neighborhoods in your price range a little north of highway 96. They're between Creedmoor and Franklinton, if my memory serves me correctly. They're new homes on acre lots. I'm sorry I can't remember the names of the neighborhoods offhand as it was several months ago when I happened upon them. But if you PM me I'll share the name of the real estate company that works with those builders.

If you located there I think the closest Walmart/Target and so forth would be in Wake Forest. You would have to drive a few miles to get to any kind of shopping, but you'd have a nice quiet place in the country with land.

There may be some nice areas in Durham or north of there towards Roxboro, but if you check closer to Durham, be sure and do your homework on crime statistics. To me the rolling land up towards Roxboro is really beautiful and they have a nice Walmart there, but no Target or much else. At least not that I'm aware of.

With gas costs rising, I think I'd try to find something as close to Creedmoor as possible because at least you've got some fast food restaurants and one really good fish restaurant too. There's a nice new Food Lion and there's a sense of community.

But I've been told Creedmoor is growing slowly right now because the city wants it that way. In a way I think that's kinda nice. It's becoming unheard of in the Triangle area. Creedmoor may be one of the last hold-outs!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2007, 09:54 PM
 
Location: Northeast
10 posts, read 38,680 times
Reputation: 11
Thank You Skipstone for your input I think Roxboro is too far out of the way. I want to be close to Raleigh/Durham area's.

I think Creedmoor would be good for now. Buy a house and settle down. If later on down the line I want something different I will sell and move. Of course I will be visiting the area before I do anything drastic

Anyone else want to chime in?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top