Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:06 PM

215 posts, read 605,188 times

Advertisements

I've decided to go ahead and move out of my parents house. They're splitting up and I wont no part in it so I'm moving. I've tried to get em to stay together for my brother's sake but now I don't care, so I'm out.

I found an apartment for $640 a month that includes Gas, Water, Trash Pickup and is Cable Ready with a Washer/Dryer in the unit. Is this a good deal or no? The deposit is $200.

I hate sharing my income, but I feel I have to to get the best advice I can. I make around $2200 a month. I don't get paid monthly though, I get paid every 2 weeks, which I'm thinking of switching it to monthly so I can better plan/save for expenses/bills/etc.

I'm currently making a list of expenses/bills that I would have to pay monthly and need some thoughts on em.

Monthly Income: $2200

Rent: $640
Deposit: $200 (one-time)
Heat/AC: $50 (realistic?)
Car Insurance: $150
Cable/Internet/Phone: $180 (the Time Warner bundle, job requires it)
Food: $130
Gas: $110 (~$25/week)

That comes to about $1200 a month leaving me with like $900 leftover each month. It'd be nice to get some advice asap as I'm looking to move mid-Feb. of this year or is that to soon you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 12:12 PM

26 posts, read 80,303 times
Do you have other things or are you setting up shop on milk crates in the living room?? Will you hire movers? How reliable is your job.

How old are you? $50 a month for heat/a/c is a little low. We have a 2100 sq. ft. house and ours runs anywhere from 180-300 depending on the weather.

Most importantly, trust me, if your parents are splitting up, it's better to have the apart and happy than miserable together.

K

Old 01-12-2009, 12:14 PM

103 posts, read 413,313 times
it looks pretty realistic to me, though its been a long time since i was in an apartment. also to consider is renters insurance-- your insurance co. probably offers it, protects your stuff in case something get stolen, you have a water leak, the building burns down, etc.

best wishes- first apartment is a big move!!

Old 01-12-2009, 12:15 PM

451 posts, read 1,649,406 times
Best of luck, Dude. Take care of your Bro.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:32 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,377,774 times
I think your allocation for food is a bit unrealistic. You allotted 130/month = $4.30 per day....highly doubtful. I would guess it to be at least $70/week.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdknw View Post
Do you have other things or are you setting up shop on milk crates in the living room?? Will you hire movers? How reliable is your job.

How old are you? $50 a month for heat/a/c is a little low. We have a 2100 sq. ft. house and ours runs anywhere from 180-300 depending on the weather.

Most importantly, trust me, if your parents are splitting up, it's better to have the apart and happy than miserable together.

K
My father can move things for me, he's got the truck for that type of job. My job as of right now is guarnateed for at least 5 years. I'm currently in the process of opening up a design company as I have experience in web design and development to help with expenses and such. I don't have much furniture, but I have stuff for the bedroom and office (most important things). My father and grandfather both have tons of experience in building furniture, so I figured that'd save me a ton of cash by building it ourselves instead of buying. The apartment I'm looking at is ~800sq. ft. I'm 20 years old now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I think your allocation for food is a bit unrealistic. You allotted 130/month = $4.30 per day....highly doubtful. I would guess it to be at least $70/week.
I usually eat out 3-4 times a day, which would defiantly change once I move out, currently I'm spending probably $110 a week on food eatting out. I'm thinking $80 a week for groceries and then cooking at home would be good.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:44 PM

746 posts, read 2,241,103 times
I agree that the food number is too low. Also - what about repairs, scheduled maintenance on your car? Entertainment? (movies, bars, girlfriend?) and savings? I think the heat/AC might be OK if it's a well-insulated place. You may want to put together a number that goes into a emergency fund too - lose your job, car needs a new muffler, need to take a trip etc.

I'm also a little concerned that the $2200 is a gross not net number? That would make the net much smaller. If I'm wrong on that, sorry.

Good luck! Sorry about your parents.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:45 PM

3,500 posts, read 6,141,068 times
I agree that your food estimates are too low, along with your heating/AC estimates. You said you currently spend $440 a month on food (eating out). Your revised estimate of $80 a week for groceries is probably reasonable, but remember that you will still wind up eating out some so be sure to budget for it.

What about clothes, entertainment (movies, for example), furniture? Health care (deductibles, co-pays)?

You definitely need a slush fund that can be used for routine car maintenance and car repairs, etc.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:50 PM

26 posts, read 80,303 times
You better make sure that you can rent an apartment. Some will not rent to people under 21, and some that will are in a bad part of town.

I too think that the food allowance and gas allowance is low. what if gas goes back up significantly? I moved out when I was 18 and got the shock of my life. Will your dad be willing to help, since seemingly you could be leaving on bad terms?

K

Old 01-12-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
I agree that the food number is too low. Also - what about repairs, scheduled maintenance on your car? Entertainment? (movies, bars, girlfriend?) and savings? I think the heat/AC might be OK if it's a well-insulated place. You may want to put together a number that goes into a emergency fund too - lose your job, car needs a new muffler, need to take a trip etc.

I'm also a little concerned that the $2200 is a gross not net number? That would make the net much smaller. If I'm wrong on that, sorry.

Good luck! Sorry about your parents.
It's $2,225 a month for income. I'm figuring:

Rent - $640
Car Ins - $150
Heat/AC - $60
Cable/Internet/Phone - $180 (needed for work)
Food - $200
Gas - $130
Savings Fund/Emergency Fund - $100 in it every paycheck, so every 2 weeks as of right now)

Deposit - $200
Utilities Deposits - $100?

Monthly Total - $1560
One-Time Fees (deposits, etc) - $300
Leftover Monthly Income - $665 (first month would leave 335 since I'd have to pay the deposits)

Entertainment, what's this you speak of? Entertainment for me is sitting at the computer playing games, working, watching movies at home. Girlfriend, what? Don't have one does that make me weird -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
I agree that your food estimates are too low, along with your heating/AC estimates. You said you currently spend $440 a month on food (eating out). Your revised estimate of $80 a week for groceries is probably reasonable, but remember that you will still wind up eating out some so be sure to budget for it.

What about clothes, entertainment (movies, for example), furniture? Health care (deductibles, co-pays)?

You definitely need a slush fund that can be used for routine car maintenance and car repairs, etc.
I've got Medicaid and that right now pays the co-pays, etc. I'm in pretty good shape health wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdknw View Post
You better make sure that you can rent an apartment. Some will not rent to people under 21, and some that will are in a bad part of town.

I too think that the food allowance and gas allowance is low. what if gas goes back up significantly? I moved out when I was 18 and got the shock of my life. Will your dad be willing to help, since seemingly you could be leaving on bad terms?

K
I've checked with about 20 different apartment complexes around the area I am looking and they all will rent to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary