Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Things to do when visiting Raleigh and Cary, North Carolina, California natives, parks in Cary, Backyard BBQ Pit, UNC campus, performing arts, Koka Booth amphitheater, NC Zoo in Asheboro

Old 01-12-2009, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 23,828 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Cary, NC. I have done some research and the area seems wonderful. We are going there late March/early April to visit and see what Cary has to offer in person.

We really want to get a good idea of what life is like in North Carolina, and Cary in particular. We’re both California natives, so this move would be a big change for us. Any suggestions as to what we should see/do while there? And also, any local advice about the area?

Any information is welcome!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:44 PM

43,283 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissA&M View Post

Any information is welcome!!!
You'd better be careful with that line...

What sort of things interest you?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:39 AM

746 posts, read 2,247,810 times
and, do you have or are you planning to have, kids?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:13 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,962 times
Where in Cali? We were in the Irvine area for a few years.

It's not clear why you singled out just Cary. Do yourself a favor and also check out parts of Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. Wake forest too if it's not to far (I find WF to be really pretty and charming, just a bit far away for me). Take a week off to explore the area. It will take three days - if you're really organized - to do a whirlwind tour of the Triangle. And then if you do like Cary (or specific parts of Durham or Raleigh), another 2 days to explore neighborhoods and things in that area. Then you have 2 days for "fun".

If you have more info, like job location (RTP?), or kids (give age range), and how long your visit will be, price range for home, etc., we really can help you out more. This is a fairly dysfunctional group of people, but I think they mean well.

I like Cary, and live in the Eastern part, so I have no knowledge of this beige, cookie cutter Cary that people speak of. The western side is fairly new, with subdivisions and apartment complexes that will remind you of SoCal (if you're familiar with it).

Check out the BBQ - pork (or possum, the other, other white meat). I like Backyard BBQ Pit on the 55 in Durham, and Olde Time BBQ in E.Cary/W.Raleigh on Hillsborough St.

Parks in Cary: Bond park is great. If kids, Children Together park is fantastic (but they may have renamed it in the last month or so?). Lots of parks in Cary.

Umstead park in Raleigh/Cary is great - lots of walking trails. Two entrances, one in Raleigh off glenwood and one in Cary off Harrison (?). I'm bad with names, so Google it.

Here's a newspaper article on local parks that I saw the other day:
Five parks that pass the 20-minute test - Lifestyles - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/1362477.html - broken link)

If you like shopping, I can't imagine flying 3000 miles to go shopping, but The Streets at Southpoint in Durham has everything you need (and the surrounding area). In Cary, or maybe it's in Raleigh (I'm not sre where the city line is), the Crossroads area has tons of shopping too.

Lots of museums in Raleigh and Durham - Museum of Natural Sciences, Museum of Art, NC Museum of Life and Sciences, Marble Museum, etc.

There are various farmers markets. The one in Raleigh is open all year, every day. In march/April it should be more lively - though all the winter veggies are out now, Kales, potatoes, sweet potatoes ($10 for 30 pounds!). In the spring they should have all the plants out. Definitely check it out. Carrboro and Durham also have farmers markets, but just on Saturdays.

UNC has a great campus. If you plan your trip around their spring break, it won't be so crammed, and you can check out the arboretums and planetarium and museums. There's also Duke, but I don't know what they have to offer (same as UNC I imagine). NC State is in Raleigh, close to Cary. All of these schools have their own productions (plays, etc).

Lots of performing arts - Koka Booth ampitheter in Cary gets some great shows (mostly in the summer, obviously). The Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC) just opened and some people like it, but it's not on the same scale as some venues in Cali (according to a co-worker who saw a show there and also lived in SoCal) - Looks gorgeous to me. Raleigh also has a performing arts center somewhere.

The NC zoo in Asheboro is actually quite nice. Nothing - nothing - like the SD Zoo or Wild Animal Park, but for it's size, it's nice. A family pass is very reasonable, and it's only ~75 minutes away from Cary, and an easy drive through the country.

There's plenty of everything if you're open minded and focus on what the area has, not what it lacks. Enjoy your trip and future move!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:03 AM

43,283 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Visit Pullen Park, Apex Community Park, Lake Johnson Park, Bond Park.
Raleigh, Apex, Raleigh, Cary, respectively.

These parks should be just beautiful at the end of March/early April.

In Raleigh, visit the State Capitol grounds, and walk around the immediate area for a taste of downtown. And get over to Glenwood South, Cameron Village, and the State Farmers' Market.

Visit Symphony Lake in Cary, and if there is an event or concert, consider taking it in.
There are also many other venues in the Triangle. See the recent thread on the DPAC, Durham Performing Arts Center.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:43 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
A movie at the Galaxy Theater (shows mostly foreign and Indie films), a fresh sandwich or pastry at Blue Moon bakery, a Beer at the Hibernian, if you have kids, Kids together Park on Cary Parkway is awesome, grab tickets to a Carolina Hurricanes hockey game, visit multiple museums in the greater triangle area (if you have kids, they will especially love the Durham science museum), there is ice Skating at the Cary Ice House.
Unfortunately since it's winter there won't be a lot of outdoor concerts and activities, but if you come in the late spring or summer, you'll find plenty of outdoor performing arts in all of the triangle areas.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 23,828 times
Thanks for all the information!!

So my husband and I are San Diego natives. I graduated college last year and he is finishing up his last sememster. We're newlyweds so we don't have any kids. Since were pretty young (both 23) we do want kids, but not for another couple of years.
I actually found Cary when I was searching money.com and they listed it as one of the best places in America to live. My husband is getting his degree in electrical engineering so being close to the triangle is important and is a big reason why Cary is so appealing to us. I want to get my teaching credential, so I can go just about anywhere. We are not looking for cookie cutter sub-divisions- that just about everything out here in San Diego! We're looking for a life style change- "slower" pace of life, more family friendly and community involvement but still close enough to a metropolitan area so there are good job opportunities. We're hoping Cary, or a nearby town can provide that. Our price range for a home is between $350,000 and $250,000. We'd like a nice size house- but nothing too big- but what we really want is a nice large back yard with mature trees.
Can anyone tell me a bit more about the research triangle area? Is it mainly large companies or are there smaller, more personal companies? My husband currently works part-time for a smaller (15 employees) electrical engineering consulting firm and would like to find a similar company- he doesn’t want to be just another number.
In terms of interests, we're pretty outdoorsy. We like to walk, hike and go bike riding. I know it will be too cold to go in the water, but we also like to go wake boarding- so I’d love to know of any good lakes so we could check them out. We also like to golf- any good courses out there? My husband also loves to go 4 wheeling- out in San Diego, we go to the desert to do this. Can anyone tell me if this is popular to do out in NC? I looked online and found some trails… but anymore detailed information about 4 wheeling would be great.
Also, any good restaurants or places to grab a drink and hang out?
Again, thanks everyone

Last edited by MissA&M; 01-13-2009 at 10:10 AM..

Old 01-13-2009, 11:26 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,656,638 times
Because I am lazy I will juts post a link to this article. It has a nice summary of Cary: Cary: The charm of a fast-growing small town: A Sousa march, a milkshake and a sunset by the lake: Special Issues: Best of the Triangle: Independent Weekly: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill

Old 01-13-2009, 12:35 PM

451 posts, read 1,653,962 times
RTP has companies of all shapes and sizes. Landing a job here can be tough, though. Get a job first, then move. Not all tech companies are located in RTP though - there's plenty in Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and elsewhere in the triangle.

Cary would have what you're looking for in that price range - large home, 1/3 acre lots, mature trees, as would parts of Durham and North Raleigh (but I like Cary).

I see quads, but mostly by people that look like they hunt. There's really not a lot of "open" land, like there is in SD and SoCal. Wakeboarding doesn't seem as big here as it is in SoCal, either. There aren't any mountains close to here, just hills, No Mt. Baldy's (if you've done that). And the terrain is very different. We really miss Joshua Tree.

Life is a little "slower", but by that I mean people will actually go out of their way to talk to you, not like in Cali, where it seems people only talk to you if they think they can make some money off of you. There are a lot of transplants here, and quite a bit of diversity. Culture is just different here, not bad, and it doesn't take getting used to, it's just different, for lack of a better word. Don't expect any good mexican food - if you need a fix, go to Javier's in Laguna Beach before you move.

Drivers are actually worse here than in SoCal, if you can believe that.

Definitely come out for a visit first and see if it's for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissA&M View Post
Thanks for all the information!!

So my husband and I are San Diego natives. I graduated college last year and he is finishing up his last sememster. We're newlyweds so we don't have any kids. Since were pretty young (both 23) we do want kids, but not for another couple of years.
I actually found Cary when I was searching money.com and they listed it as one of the best places in America to live. My husband is getting his degree in electrical engineering so being close to the triangle is important and is a big reason why Cary is so appealing to us. I want to get my teaching credential, so I can go just about anywhere. We are not looking for cookie cutter sub-divisions- that just about everything out here in San Diego! We're looking for a life style change- "slower" pace of life, more family friendly and community involvement but still close enough to a metropolitan area so there are good job opportunities. We're hoping Cary, or a nearby town can provide that. Our price range for a home is between $350,000 and $250,000. We'd like a nice size house- but nothing too big- but what we really want is a nice large back yard with mature trees.
Can anyone tell me a bit more about the research triangle area? Is it mainly large companies or are there smaller, more personal companies? My husband currently works part-time for a smaller (15 employees) electrical engineering consulting firm and would like to find a similar company- he doesn’t want to be just another number.
In terms of interests, we're pretty outdoorsy. We like to walk, hike and go bike riding. I know it will be too cold to go in the water, but we also like to go wake boarding- so I’d love to know of any good lakes so we could check them out. We also like to golf- any good courses out there? My husband also loves to go 4 wheeling- out in San Diego, we go to the desert to do this. Can anyone tell me if this is popular to do out in NC? I looked online and found some trails… but anymore detailed information about 4 wheeling would be great.
Also, any good restaurants or places to grab a drink and hang out?
Again, thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary