Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 03:03 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,792 times

Advertisements

You know I really tried this year. I tried to pretend that the circus really could be a cool thing to bring my kids to. We LOVED the Cirque du Soleil shows we've seen.
But again..a little research goes a long way. This is a chance to teach kids about respect for all living things and sacrifices to assure the right thing is being done. Even R and B's own website under " Animal Care FAQ" heading has a copy of the official lawsuit brought against them for animal cruelty to elephants, including 2 that died under 4y that were a result of their care.
It is so sad. It is sad that people will go anyway. I still believe the circus could be just as incredible with people performing only. Now I know there must be plenty of trainers that are wonderful. But, honestly, common sense should tell you that no animal really wants to perform on demand. No animal that naturally wanders miles a day could happily be chained or contained. If they are trained why do those sticks even need to be in the hands of the trainer?
Now I'm ranting...but to me it's a grand opportunity to teach our next generation about treating all things with compassion. Could you possibly imagine how people would treat and respect others if we really could instill a value like 'compassion' toward things weaker than us? I really think it could help humans treat other humans kinder. As neat as it is to see, it's just not right to make an animal do that "cuz we want them to".
I can't imagine my rant would change what NC folks called "best show" in Carolina Parent Mag. I'm not gonna run out and start some "ban the circus" parade.
Just something to think about.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 03:11 PM

140 posts, read 419,503 times
My MIL got us tickets.. So, we will be going soon, I am not a circus person myself, and I always thought about the way they treat animals there..Thank you for the info.. But there is a lot to say about other unethical treatment of animals.....So, in this case its better not knowing I will be paying attention to clowns and acrobats.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:13 PM

185 posts, read 575,763 times
Get a refund.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:18 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
I won't go to any circus that involves animals.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:47 PM

185 posts, read 575,763 times
What about a circus that involves vertically challenged people?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM

546 posts, read 2,417,601 times
We stopped going because I was tired of leaving feeling scammed. It was fun (I agree with the animal treatment part- not a fan of zoos either) but so $$. The shaved ice in a clown cup was $12!!! Forget it.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:25 AM

484 posts, read 1,367,502 times
Default circus

I had a similar conversation with someone about this yesterday. I never knew until about 12 years ago about the cruely to the circus animals, and i have refused to go every since. i just cant go there. to me its like saying if i go its okay for them to do this awful things to those poor animals. its no wonder that some of these animals turn around and try to maul their trainers. if i was a big tiger or lion, elephant ect and took on beatings for years to be made to do tricks, i would gobble up all the trainers and spit them out. sorry i feel very strongly about this issue. my daughter is going to be 12 years old next month and has never been to the circus and she knows why. she loves animals and when i had explained to her why a long time ago why we dont go and she agrees.

i knew someone who had inside info about the goings on with the training of animals, she explained and showed me proof of someone going under cover to work at the circus, with a camera and what i saw was animals getting the **** beaten out of them.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclover View Post
(I agree with the animal treatment part- not a fan of zoos either)

North Carolina Zoo is better option and one of the better options in zoos.
This zoo has made efforts in giving these animals large spaces and good mimics of where they came from the animals are cared for with people who are trained in ethical treatment

Of course we do have zoos I cant comment on the treatment except it not natural but it a blast to experience like this recent trip

Old 01-15-2009, 01:52 PM

446 posts, read 1,394,500 times
Circus + animals = bad.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:29 PM

546 posts, read 2,417,601 times
I agree that the NC zoo is trying hard to give the animals as much of a natural habitat as possible. I just don't think penquins or polar bears would choose NC as their permanent residence! Most zoos these days are a whole lot better than the zoos of my childhood but they are still wild animals in captivity. I don't mean to sound strident. I go to the zoo. I'm just not crazy about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary