Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times

Advertisements

Filed this morning, lots of folks could feel this in cary area. Nortel files for bankruptcy protection in U.S. - World business- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 11:05 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Filed this morning, lots of folks could feel this in cary area. Nortel files for bankruptcy protection in U.S. - World business- msnbc.com
You know, I was just about to post this story but something told me to check to see if you already had.

FWIW, I think should this result in layoffs down the road it would affect more than just people in "the cary area" as I am sure there are people throughout the entire Triangle area who are employed there in one capacity or another.

Sorry to hear this news either way. I wonder if this was expected or a complete shock to those who work for Nortel.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:16 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
I'm sorry for the employees but getting rid of Nortel would be a positive experience for me.

Let me tell my story which happened quite a few years ago.

Back before landline phones were modular, I purchased a phone made by Nortel that was advertised as a wall/desk phone. The cord was way too short for wall use and, since not modular, wasn't user replaceable.

I contacted Nortel's support and Nortel agreed the phone was misrepresented. Nortel, however, would not waive the labor charge of $25 to do the job if I paid for the proper cord. The BBB complaint I filed got the same result.

Well, I found a tech to do the cord for me. Since I worked at a multi-national Fortune 100 corporation in HQ, I told everyone that Nortel didn't treat me very well and this should be considered for purchases of telecom equipment.

Guess what. Many years later, an acquaintance attended an IT seminar and met some Nortel folks. The Nortel crew wondered why my ex-employer never even asked Nortel to bid on some work they were doing.

Can't be sure why, but perhaps Nortel's service came back to bite them. Constantly hear how this company staffs up then lays off.

I hope the employees affected find new slots quickly at a company that values them.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Sorry to rant but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Filed this morning, lots of folks could feel this in cary area.
What about the folks in Raleigh, or Durham, or Orange County, or just about anywhere else? When did Cary become the center of the universe??

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
I'm sorry for the employees but getting rid of Nortel would be a positive experience for me.

Let me tell my story which happened quite a few years ago.

Back before landline phones were modular, I purchased a phone made by Nortel that was advertised as a wall/desk phone. The cord was way too short for wall use and, since not modular, wasn't user replaceable.
So you think it's positive for a multi-billion dollar multinational corporation employing thousands of people to go under, and for many people to lose their jobs, because you got the wrong phone cord a few years ago??

Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 AM

502 posts, read 1,654,376 times
I left Nortel after having my first child a few years ago. The constant wondering about whether I'd have a job in six months made me too nervous since we had a little person to support, so I left before I could be laid off and amongst the masses searching for a new job. I stay in touch with several of my former co-workers and really feel for the ones still there.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Sorry to rant but:

What about the folks in Raleigh, or Durham, or Orange County, or just about anywhere else? When did Cary become the center of the universe??

So you think it's positive for a multi-billion dollar multinational corporation employing thousands of people to go under, and for many people to lose their jobs, because you got the wrong phone cord a few years ago??
No, I think that a corporation that provides pitiful, arrogant service needs to go away.

As I said, I feel for the employees since I was laid off by a large utility in 1989 and wound up in Chapter 7. However, moving from New Orleans to Raleigh had a very positive effect on our family in bringing us to a, lower paying, but much more wholesome place.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeHuntress View Post
I left Nortel after having my first child a few years ago. The constant wondering about whether I'd have a job in six months made me too nervous since we had a little person to support, so I left before I could be laid off and amongst the masses searching for a new job. I stay in touch with several of my former co-workers and really feel for the ones still there.
Glad you were proactive. There was plenty of warning that Nortel was struggling.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:47 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
[quote=CHTransplant;6992718]Sorry to rant but:

Its not , but a large number of people due to it location moved to and live in Cary. I could have also listed Canada Ny NJ CA WI, sheeesh....

Old 01-14-2009, 11:49 AM

[quote=NC man;6992998]
Quote:
Sorry to rant but:

Its not , but a large number of people due to it location moved to and live in Cary. I could have also listed Canada Ny NJ CA WI, sheeesh....
Shame recent hires weren't aware of Nortel's financial problems and layoff history.

The stability is why I chose government. My kids too.

You won't get rich but are likely to have job security.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Now that was funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary