Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 03:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,860,609 times

Advertisements

There are divorce laws, estate laws, and real property laws that all have a say in defining who has what interest in property. Citing one provision of one law should not be confused with good and correct legal advice that takes all of the laws into account. Please, consult an attorney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 1 hour ago)

43,046 posts, read 76,581,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
There are divorce laws, estate laws, and real property laws that all have a say in defining who has what interest in property. Citing one provision of one law should not be confused with good and correct legal advice that takes all of the laws into account. Please, consult an attorney.
I, for one, fully intend to consult a professional bartender!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,037,910 times
Default reply

what i bring into the marriage does not become my wifes unless I want it to. That is the law I believe. My friends all consulted attorneys before they bought their homes.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:25 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,093,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
what i bring into the marriage does not become my wifes unless I want it to. That is the law I believe. My friends all consulted attorneys before they bought their homes.
If you die intestate (no will - not genitally mutilated LOL), NC law does give your spouse a part of your real and personal property.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,860,609 times
And if you die with a will, your wife may have a right of election against the will.

I'm not saying your wife "owns" part of the real estate by virtue of the marriage, but in various circumstances the law does give her an interest in it. It's not a substitute by any means for putting her name on the title.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:43 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,037,910 times
Default reply

If you purchase it after marriage, she would not need to be on the deed. She owns half of it regardless. I had my wife added after closing because she was not on the loan as she does not work outside the home. My attorney told me it really did not matter, beacuse by law the house was half hers anyway. If I had owned my home prior, it would always be my home unless I added her to the deed and or will.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:44 PM

3,500 posts, read 6,141,592 times
Ya know, this thread reminds me of why I LOVE my pre-nup!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:00 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,330,709 times
My parents want to add me to the deed on their house. Is there a way we can do this ourselves simply and cheaply like go to the courthouse or do we really have to go through a lawyer and pay him/her.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:01 PM

137 posts, read 551,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Agreed! Additionally, there is the issue that if a house is purchased before marriage, but is mortgaged, and payments are made throughout the marriage what is the share of each.

The statute was not intended as legal advice, it was in response to something earlier posted!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 1 hour ago)

43,046 posts, read 76,581,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
My parents want to add me to the deed on their house. Is there a way we can do this ourselves simply and cheaply like go to the courthouse or do we really have to go through a lawyer and pay him/her.
Go to an attorney. It isn't that expensive to get it done right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary