Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 07:47 AM

35 posts, read 224,022 times

Advertisements

How is the entertainment/night life in ralegh/durham compared to atlanta or even nyc,vegas,LA,DC or any other major cities. I am single, self employed and looking for a low cost city to call home. You will probably find my post all over other citys as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 08:02 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happenstance View Post
How is the entertainment/night life in ralegh/durham compared to atlanta or even nyc,vegas,LA,DC or any other major cities. I am single, self employed and looking for a low cost city to call home. You will probably find my post all over other citys as well.
Well, I don't live in Raleigh-Durham as of yet, but the first I would not do is to try and compare much larger metro areas to smaller areas. DC, NYC and the ATL are much larger than Raliegh-Durham and as a result they're likely to have more options. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Compare Raliegh-Durham to Charlotte, Memphis or Cashville (Nashville). Secondly, what I would ask is how tame and lame is the nightlife. Vegas is a city filled with ultra lounges and both Vegas and Miami can be freak shows, which is good for some and not for others. Phoenix and LA have good night life but it's not anything that would be considered wild.

Another you want to do is to look at the number of colleges in the area. The more colleges, the more lame the nightlife can get. Not saying that Raleigh-Durham has lame nightlife, b/c I don't know. I'm just going on my experience. But there are advantages to the multiple "College Night" that clubs in a college area will have. I'll let you figure what those advantages are.

Also consider the number of young adults in the area and why they might move to the area. I know for a fact, b/c I know and have meet people that have done this, there are certain states and cities within those states that young people move to just to party. No job, no money, just partying. Florida is one of those states. You'll see people in their 50s and 60s out at the clubs and lounges partying like it's nothing. You'll hear multiple clubs advertising on the radio Sun-Sun about what will be going on at their clubs on various nights. Clubs are also staying open until 4 maybe 5 in the morning. Partying is done Sun-Sun. It's not a low cost state, but it is what it is. I hope that I've given you enough to think about.

Cheers,

Old 12-14-2006, 08:08 AM

35 posts, read 224,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
Well, I don't live in Raleigh-Durham as of yet, but the first I would not do is to try and compare much larger metro areas to smaller areas. DC, NYC and the ATL are much larger than Raliegh-Durham and as a result they're likely to have more options. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Compare Raliegh-Durham to Charlotte, Memphis or Cashville (Nashville). Secondly, what I would ask is how tame and lame is the nightlife. Vegas is a city filled with ultra lounges and both Vegas and Miami can be freak shows, which is good for some and not for others. Phoenix and LA have good night life but it's not anything that would be considered wild.

Another you want to do is to look at the number of colleges in the area. The more colleges, the more lame the nightlife can get. Not saying that Raleigh-Durham has lame nightlife, b/c I don't know. I'm just going on my experience. But there are advantages to the multiple "College Night" that clubs in a college area will have. I'll let you figure what those advantages are.

Also consider the number of young adults in the area and why they might move to the area. I know for a fact, b/c I know and have meet people that have done this, there are certain states and cities within those states that young people move to just to party. No job, no money, just partying. Florida is one of those states. You'll see people in their 50s and 60s out at the clubs and lounges partying like it's nothing. You'll hear multiple clubs advertising on the radio Sun-Sun about what will be going on at their clubs on various nights. Clubs are also staying open until 4 maybe 5 in the morning. Partying is done Sun-Sun. It's not a low cost state, but it is what it is. I hope that I've given you enough to think about.

Cheers,

**** good advice sir...I will do just that.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:08 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
Yeah, please don't compare the Triangle to larger cities, otherwise you'll be disappointed. Suffice to say though, for our population, it's a good decent amount of choices.

One thing to notice, though, is that it's not all concentrated in just one city...instead the nightlife is split among three major areas: Downtown Raleigh, Downtown Durham, and central Chapel Hill/Carrboro.

With the renewed focus here on reviving and building up the downtown urban cores of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, the restaurant/cafe/bar/nightclub scenes have very much benefited. And will continue to do so, as well, as more urban/downtown housing becomes available. (The ability to walk instead of worry about designated drivers really helps the bars and clubs for obvious reasons.)
Having several large colleges in the area helps alot as well.

You should find something for everyone I think. At least one major nightspot for every possible scene or music genre.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:59 PM

137 posts, read 606,987 times
I've found nightlife experience in Raleigh to be fair - not bad, but it does leave me yearning for maybe a little more. There seems to be something for everyone though, depending on what type of fun you're looking for in the late evening hours.

I think one of the things perhaps hindering the nightlife options in Raleigh - and North Carolina in general - are the liquor laws that just simply confuse and mystify me. Some of the clubs are just that - they are very literally "clubs", in that you just can't walk up to the door, present an ID and pay cover to get in.

I'll use The Office nightclub in the Warehouse district as an example. Great place with a nice crowd, but you can't just show up one night and expect to get in and check the place out. You have to fill out a membership application and pay a membership fee for the calender year - I think it's something like 20 or 30 bucks. And even then, I can't remember if you can get in the same night or not, or if there's a waiting period involved. I'm not sure what the stipulations are with the places that enforce this, and those that don't... although sometimes there are signs out front that will indicate "members only" or "private club." No doubt it's that old "bible belt philosophy" that put those laws in place to begin with, and regardless of the favorable points for them being there - it just plain and simple drives me nuts.

I should know more about this, but I don't, and I let it get to me because it frustrates me so... LOL anyone else here that has the ability to explain it clearer, please jump on in!

Old 12-14-2006, 08:17 PM

^ I wish there was an easy answer to it. Interestingly, many of the places I've gone to over the years hardly enforce that at all. Or if they do, it's very slack.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:02 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
Does anyone know the exact laws in NC on liquor licenses?
I was amazed at how early the bars closed in Charlotte. they turned the lights on at 1:30 and stopped serving alcohol. I guess it's the same in Virginia, but that never really affects me because I just go to D.C. for nightlife.

That's the problem with NC. When you live in NC, NC is it. You can't just drive 20 minutes and get to another state or district with more relaxed laws like we can here in Northern Virginia. At least you guys allow strip clubs (topless only). Here in VA they are completely illegal (the only state in the U.S. other than Utah with such a law!)

Old 12-15-2006, 05:31 AM

The liquor law depends on the city. Most cities have a policy where liquor can not be served past 12:00am but it varies by city and sometime, even by certain districts or zones within a city.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Does anyone know the exact laws in NC on liquor licenses?
I was amazed at how early the bars closed in Charlotte. they turned the lights on at 1:30 and stopped serving alcohol.
It's probably just that one club you went to b/c I can't imagine a place shutting down at 1:30am. I've never been clubbing in the NC, but the standard in most cities has been 2:00am, but b/c of competition, most clubs are staying open until 3 and even 4:00am.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:48 AM

Most bars/clubs I've been to around the Triangle stop serving alcohol at 2am, and make you finish whatever drink you have by 2:30.
Many clubs that have dance floors (or music stages) will stay open well past that, though...a few as late as 4am. They just will serve soft drinks (overpriced of course) and bottled water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary