Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:35 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,966,372 times

Advertisements

Now that they're liquidating and closing all stores (breaking news), does anyone know how many employees in the area are affected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:02 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,124 times
This is terrible news! Looking at their website there are about 9 stores within a 75 mile radius of the triangle and if each store had 40 employees you are looking at 360 people. Now its down to HHGreat and BiggestBuy for electronic sales. More competition is always better for consumers! Just look at your TWC bill this past months if you're not sure!

Old 01-16-2009, 10:09 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,144,769 times
I'm wondering about the effect on retail space in the area too, and how it will affect development around Crabtree.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:09 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Not sure about the number of employees but my experience with a number of the big box electronic stores is that they needed to go out of business and their employees were part of the problem. I have shopped at and purchase much electronic products over the years and Circuit City did not have a good reputation. Depending on the store and the area their service ranged from ok to terrible. The higher the income level the better the employees. The store in Cary was one of the best. Others in other states have been terrible. Best Buys is becoming like Circuit City. Depending on the income level they are located in the better the quality of service and how you are treated. Again the one in Cary is better then the one in Garner by a long shot. The same is true with stores in other states and I have discussed that with their management and they have agreed. If a Best Buy has a Magnolia Stereo that is where you want to shop. If it doesn't oh well. The Tweeter bit the dust and use to be a quality high end store. It began to have problems with employee indifference when a store like that should have the highest level of employee response. They did at one time but again it had diminished in some stores. What is the moral of this? The younger workforce that is being hired in retail stores is often the worse enemy of those retail stores. With the economy tanking and jobs becoming harder to come by then hopefully we will see a more professional workforce returning. Oh yeah if you want great service along with prices and customer support do what the folks in video forums suggest and shop Amazon. If you have a problem the folks on the phone in India are awesome and oh so helpful.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:30 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,692,858 times
Default My guess

250 (5 stores w/ approximately 50 employees per store). I base that on the headline the 567 stores will close w/ approximately 30,000 employees.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:34 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
At least a good number of those employees are probably part-time, so hopefully they have other jobs, too.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:35 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
I'm wondering about the effect on retail space in the area too, and how it will affect development around Crabtree.
The articles being written are mentioning just this. Another big box vacancy at a mall. I am sure we can think of malls around the country or where we came from that will be impacted big time. They had expansions over the last 5-7 years and now the chickens of cheap credit are coming home to roost. Even the Cheesecake Factory is have a rough way to go. It is heading back to basics time and you need to be able to justify atmosphere etc that translates into increased cost. How are 42nd St photo and Abes of Maine doing these days?

Old 01-16-2009, 11:27 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,220,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
This is terrible news! Looking at their website there are about 9 stores within a 75 mile radius of the triangle and if each store had 40 employees you are looking at 360 people. Now its down to HHGreat and BiggestBuy for electronic sales. More competition is always better for consumers! Just look at your TWC bill this past months if you're not sure!
Competition won't be affected...

If anything, competition and poor customer service helped lead to Circuit City's downfall.

According to one article I read, 50% of all electronic sales are done online now anyway.

I know I buy most of my electronics online, I have never bought a computer from a big box retailer, either Gateway or Dell over the years.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:29 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Competition won't be affected...

If anything, competition and poor customer service helped lead to Circuit City's downfall.

According to one article I read, 50% of all electronic sales are done online now anyway.

I know I buy most of my electronics online, I have never bought a computer from a big box retailer, either Gateway or Dell over the years.
Circuit City has been trying to die for about 8 years.
It amazes me how long a company can hang on without apparent financial justification.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,732,481 times
One of CC's big mistakes was basically firing all of the "expensive" floor employees are hiring cheaper guys on commission. Really gutted the place, and made it a much worse shopping experience, from what I hear. I rarely went into the stores and never talked to anyone when I did because I never bought anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary