Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 PM

492 posts, read 1,152,390 times

Advertisements

9yrs ago we were living here, in this very house in North Raleigh. We went to bed thinking an inch or 2, woke up at 7am and there was already about 10" then it continued on and by noonish my neighborhood had 24" of snow! It t
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 01:34 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,981 times
During the big snowfall my husband and I weren't yet engaged, and were living in the Dominion Courtney Place Apartments off of Capital Blvd. We got cabin fever and walked to the store. It was a lot of fun. We met a lot of our neighbors that week. Too bad that neighborhood went down so quickly right after that and we moved. My 3 year old has never seen accumulation, I'd love for it to dump on us!

Old 01-19-2009, 01:37 PM

492 posts, read 1,152,390 times
My family was here, this same house in North Raleigh. We ended up with 24" of snow in my neighborhood. It was incredible. Quite fun for the kids for about 3 days, but then the peanut butter/bread was running out, their Poptart stash was gone, and Mom and Dad were getting a bit grumpy. It took 5 days before we could drive one of our cars out of this neighborhood, the frontwheel drive sedan made it out. We were able to get to a grocery store. Kids had 8 snowdays if I recall correctly? Yeah, fun times

Old 01-19-2009, 01:40 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,808 times
We moved to North Carolina last Summer but are born and raised in Michigan. 9 years ago snow wasn't a surprise it just was.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:08 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
My son (6 at the time) and I went riding around the neighborhood on his brand new go cart. We sledded, made snowmen, had snoball fights and sat around with friends and neighbors while boots dried by the fireplace and mitten and pants dried in the dryer. The next week we all went out and got sleds.... which are now sitting in the shed... waiting.... anticipating.....

Old 01-19-2009, 02:23 PM

214 posts, read 1,002,461 times
I was a junior at Cary Academy, and we all woke up at like 5am to hear school was canceled. We bundled up and hiked over to the Preston Golf course where we sledded and tubed down some of the really big hills, it was a mob scene over there with tons of kids and parents.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Headhuntress, I grew up in Eastern NC too. But I've got a few years on you. I remember the year (sometime in the early 80s .... maybe 80 or 81) when we got a couple feet of snow. The snow drift was up to the top of our sliding glass door. We had to tunnel out! It was great!

Oh, 9 years ago, I was in Portland, pregnant with my 1st child, enjoying that "honeymoon" phase of pregnancy. No snow in Portland, just rain.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:49 PM

140 posts, read 441,024 times
Ha! I was just thinking about that snowstorm as I was running (and getting rained on!). Specifically I remember that a 24 to 36 hours before the storm there wasn't even any snow in the forecast and then by the night before the storm the forecast was for 3 to 5 inches. And then when I woke up Monday morning I remember looking out the window and telling my husband it was the highest 3 to 5 inches I had ever seen. My younger one was 4 at the time and the snow was up to his chest. It was his first real snow storm (if you don't count the one the day after he was born). Of course I will always remember that snowstorm too -- it came a day after my son was born and I got to spend some extra time at Durham Regional because my New Englander husband could come get me. We were new to NC then so I couldn't understand how a New Englander couldn't drive in snow ......... I've since learned.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:02 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Husband and I took the rarely used sled (brought years earlier from NY) and trudged to the store, about a mile away, to get groceries.

On the way, there was a somewhat steep hill that is always closed for sledding (when it snows, which is rarely). We stood at the top of the hill and watched the kids go down. One kid, in jeans, ski jacket, and cap, yelped with joy as he raced down the hill on his sled.

We walked down the hill, and imagine our surprise to see the "kid" was about 65! I blurted, "I thought you were a kid!" He replied, "I feel like a kid, but those are my grandkids!" (And he pointed to the other kids on sleds).

Snow once every several years is a lot of fun.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:08 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,415 times
I was probably going to work on another boring sunny day in CA. I am so excited about this snow falling...probably more so than my kids! I really like the seasons now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary