Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but things are DIFFERENT here. Get used to it. It's a snow day and people aren't prepared for it considering it only happens about every 5 years. Just enjoy it and stop yer bitchin! I'm sure if a hurricane hit Illinios or Minnesota, they'd all be in school. Cause you know, it's not THAT big of a deal. You *should* have trucks and emergency crews standing by and prepared for that at all times.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Ridiculous! You guys get a slight dusting of snow and life stops? ......
Pure nonsense! It's just a little frozen, fluffy precipitation, life will go on! I have never been anywhere in my life where people got so worked up over a little snow falling.
well I just heard on the 10pm News that 46 flights at RDU were cancelled and 60 delayed due to the snow - just as well it was only a slight dusting

Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Anyone that was here in Feb 05 remembers and enough said about the amount of snow that causes gridlock! My back and bones still feels the the floor of the over crowded Hotel Lobby I was fortunate enough to find at 12:30AM in route to get home. Left work in N. Raleigh @4:30PM in route to Wake Forest and never made it. And for those that were not here for that fun filled weather event....all we had was 1/2" of snow that turned to ice as the sun set......

Old 01-20-2009, 08:30 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
After living in New York and New England most of my life, I am glad that snow is a novelty around here. I'm glad that I'm not forced to get in my car and drive to work no matter what the weather only to have some clown ask what took me so long when I get there. I'm glad that driving on dangerous roads is discouraged, especially given the inexperience of most local drivers and the tendency to drive vehicles that are not exactly snow-friendly (2WD Pickup Truck, anyone?). I'm glad that my neighbors and I can laugh about the inconvenience and watch our kids enjoy a special day.

It's all good from where I stand.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:32 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
After living in New York and New England most of my life, I am glad that snow is a novelty around here. I'm glad that I'm not forced to get in my car and drive to work no matter what the weather only to have some clown ask what took me so long when I get there. I'm glad that driving on dangerous roads is discouraged, especially given the inexperience of most local drivers and the tendency to drive vehicles that are not exactly snow-friendly (2WD Pickup Truck, anyone?). I'm glad that my neighbors and I can laugh about the inconvenience and watch our kids enjoy a special day.

It's all good from where I stand.
Yesssssssssss. And I love my 2WD truck.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:35 PM

171 posts, read 452,012 times
I confess that I was surprised that by 5pm today they had called off school tomorrow, but I trust their judgement on this one. North Carolina is not going to make nearly as big an investment in snow removal equipment as is made in the north. And why would they? North Carolina doesn't get near the frequency or amount of snow to justify much more than a minor investment. I was actually surprised to hear that NCDOT was 'pretreating' the major highways. So given the limited physical resources available to remove snow, I can understand and appreciate it being a bigger deal here when it does snow.

And to dansdrive's point - I fear ice far more than I fear snow. I don't care if it's in the north or the south, icy roads are a bad thing.

and amen to what Funky Chicken said.

Last edited by NedB; 01-20-2009 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: 'cause I felt like it

Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 PM

920 posts, read 2,813,645 times
It wasn't just a dusting. It was half a foot of snow, and around here that counts as a big deal.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Garnermom touched on this and is right on. Wake County is pretty spread out with some schools in downtown areas that probably got plowed and some way out in Zebulon that probably aren't going to be plowed. Durham County is similar, some urban and rural areas. Both have county school systems, thus they have to keep in mind the safety of all the kids....especially those with the most rural and longest bus routes.

Durham had a teachers work day today and no school tomorrow because of the weather.

The kids have to make up the day so it's not like the tax payers aren't getting their monies worth. We plan on relaxing and enjoying the winter weather. Because before you know it we'll all (or at least me) will be complaining about the heat.

EDIT: so Mike I knew people in Oregon who trained and competed in the Iditarod. Are you one of those that sleeps with the dogs so they can keep ya' warm? And if so, what does the misses think of the dog smell?

Old 01-20-2009, 09:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
The news reported that in this area, there was HUNDREDS of accidents. Must have been those people that THINK they knew how to drive in snow! Couldn't have been the southerners cuz we made a "big deal" out of the snow and we "hibernate"!

Next week, my car WON'T be at the body shop!

Vicki

Old 01-20-2009, 09:25 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
Even if kids were not at risk going to school in it, I am glad they get the day off to enjoy it. It just does not happen much around here. I grew up in Cary and it turns me into a kid again when I see it and I think the little ones should have the opportunity to enjoy it as well. I bet I have not seen a 6" plus snow fall a dozen times in my life. Too many times it is just a dusting which, aside from looking nice, is pretty worthless for fun lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary