Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:39 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times

Advertisements

The rates quoted on the websites are usually a day or two old.

The rates quoted on the websites do not take into account your credit score (which drives the rate you get).

The rates quoted on the websites do not tell you the fees that lenders charge. Some are junk fees and some are the normal fees.

Start with the website but you'll really need more than that to get an accurate rate.

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:55 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I just went to Coastal. For 30 year/20% down, the fixed rate is 4.75% with no points. I asked about first time homeowner program. He said the first time homeowner program is fixed rate at 30 year at 5.25% and you can borrow up to 100% (up to no money down) and he "thinks" they waive the PMI. So I asked him how about 30 year/10% down, is there a better rate than 5.25%? And that's when he wasn't sure and directed me to the mortgage department.

Wells Fargo is 5.25% no points. Suntrust is 5.0% no points.
But what about fees? Doesn't do any good to get this info but not ask about fees. What if there is a 1% origination fee? That's huge.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:10 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,967 times
Just curious, did you work directly with the bank or a broker? Thanks.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:33 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,826 times
Default Junk Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
The rates quoted on the websites are usually a day or two old.

The rates quoted on the websites do not take into account your credit score (which drives the rate you get).

The rates quoted on the websites do not tell you the fees that lenders charge. Some are junk fees and some are the normal fees.

Start with the website but you'll really need more than that to get an accurate rate.

Vicki
Vicki,

When you say junk fees, exactly what type of fees are you referring for example? How would I identify these "so called" junk fees, and can I tell that particular lender that I will not pay such fees and still get the loan?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:51 AM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
It's so true you have to look at all the various things you'll be charged for and yes, they do add up! Things like fees to Fed-Ex you documents, title search...they nickle & dime you on many things. Always get it in writing GFE (good faith estimate) where you can see the various things you'll be charged that manage to drive your closing costs up.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,555 times
If you are trying to avoid PMI I would advise you to do the numbers before you do a 2nd mortgage in lieu of PMI.

In my situation a 2nd mortgage looked good because it saved me about 50-75 a month but over the course of the loans I would of paid approx 100% more to the 2nd mortgage company than in PMI.

Of course you can get that 2nd mortgage rate lower if you go adjustable but I wasn't will to take on that addition risk. The fixed rate for a 2nd was about 8-9% and the adjustable was 5-6%

I got 4.85% on a 20 year fixed.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Vicki,

When you say junk fees, exactly what type of fees are you referring for example? How would I identify these "so called" junk fees, and can I tell that particular lender that I will not pay such fees and still get the loan?
When I say "junk fees", I refer to some lenders that charge extra fees that are not customary in this area. For example...you may have an application fee that is $350. This is customary. However, if you have an application fee that is $350 and a processing fee that is $400 and a committment fee that is $200, I'd say a couple of those are junk fees!

Fees are negotiable with most lenders IF you have excellent credit and you have a job and some money to put down. In that case, you are the buyer/borrower that lenders want. However, if you are buying a $75,000 condo and become demanding versus a guy buying a $500,000 house, the lender may decide that he doesn't even want your business.

Vicki

Old 01-23-2009, 12:47 PM

228 posts, read 802,564 times
We also went with wells fargo. My exerience led me to believe that pretty much any major lender would be competitive (with the likely exception of bank of america, again with my exp). We tried WF, Wachovia, and Suntrust. Bank interest rates are/were fluctuating drastically. We ended up getting a bad rate just due to timing (5.625). My advice is not be in a rush to close, ie i have to have a house by X date, then when that date comes and the rates are bad you have no choice. (Then again its not like if you wait a month rates will be better). Rates are a crap shot and your mortgage lender has absolutely no reason to try to get you a lower rate once you are already committed to using that lender. You may get lucky, you may not. You can pay them more money for the insurance that if the rate changes during the few weeks between offer and closing you'll get the lower rate.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbie99 View Post
We also went with wells fargo. My exerience led me to believe that pretty much any major lender would be competitive (with the likely exception of bank of america, again with my exp). We tried WF, Wachovia, and Suntrust. Bank interest rates are/were fluctuating drastically. We ended up getting a bad rate just due to timing (5.625). My advice is not be in a rush to close, ie i have to have a house by X date, then when that date comes and the rates are bad you have no choice. (Then again its not like if you wait a month rates will be better). Rates are a crap shot and your mortgage lender has absolutely no reason to try to get you a lower rate once you are already committed to using that lender. You may get lucky, you may not. You can pay them more money for the insurance that if the rate changes during the few weeks between offer and closing you'll get the lower rate.
Most reputable lenders will give you one "float down". That means that there is a window of opportunity, that if rates go down at least l/8% or l/4%, they will allow you to have the lower rate.

Vicki

Old 01-27-2009, 09:20 PM

12 posts, read 41,096 times
I got mine at 5.25% today for 30yrs fixed conventional with 0% origination/discount points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary