Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:42 AM

273 posts, read 911,596 times

Advertisements

I went to the Ren Faire as well. The rain was created challenges but it felt very medieval!

The fair will be awesome as it grows over time even though the opening weekend wasn't as grand as it could have been. That said, there were racing dogs, jousting, knights in armor, live steel, food, beverages, mead, smithing, weaving, and more. There was the Queen's court, a pirate ship, indoor and outdoor vendors, AND plenty of space for parking. They are planning permanent buildings and exhibits--can't wait for those to arrive! Probably the entry fee paid for such mundane items as security, insurance, future operating expenses, advertising, mowing, electricity, janitorial, mortgage interest, etc. Remember, they just bought a golf course and country club!

They have 4 events planned for 2009 I think that is a great accomplishment for a very small group of dedicated volunteers! Let's all support the Ren Faire and all of the other events they plan. I would love to see music concerts, more permanent buildings, and gardens. In general, a great future is ahead of the Ren Faire and I plan to support all of their activities so that they will grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 12:28 PM

569 posts, read 1,977,621 times
Quote:
Remember, they just bought a golf course and country club!
I live in Wake Forest and have seen nothing that says the golf course was sold. I believe they are just renting it for this event. The way the homeowners living along the golf course feel, there would certainly have been a huge uproar if it had been sold for a permanant renaissance faire.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:58 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnraleigh View Post
My wife and I decided to check this out last Saturday the 28th. I was a huge fan of the NY Renaissance Fair back when I lived up North. I must say however, I was disappointed in the Wake Forest fair. It was definitely lacking in the amount of 'events' that were available to see. You pay $12 to enter and are met by an almost endless amount of vendors... which is expected to a certain degree, but the disparity to events/shows were greatly unbalanced. The energy wasn't there for us, it was way too geared towards young children.

I do hope that the fair continues to grow so that it may be enjoyable one day, but currently I don't see myself returning next year.
Thanks for the review. I was wondering whether to go but it sounds like I should skip it.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,007 times
PLEASE tell me they are just renting for this event and not sold for a permanent site!!!

Old 03-31-2009, 01:28 PM

158 posts, read 472,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristic View Post
PLEASE tell me they are just renting for this event and not sold for a permanent site!!!
"Varner-Sheaves said the fair hopes to find a permanent home in the Wake Forest area.

"I think it would be premature at this point to say that we're buying the golf course," she said. "But we are looking for property.""

Source (http://www.newsobserver.com/1253/story/1427904.html - broken link)

Nothing has been sold to my knowledge.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
Thanks for the review. I was wondering whether to go but it sounds like I should skip it.
I am a volunteer, and have been to some other faires, and we are by far the smallest I have been to, but not the worst. I am not saying that because I am biased, but we are still very young as faires go. I think you would be missing something great by not attending.

Quote:
My wife and I decided to check this out last Saturday the 28th. I was a huge fan of the NY Renaissance Fair back when I lived up North.
I agree that there can be no comparison between us and New York, but we are a smaller, younger, and less funded faire. Everyone who works gates to the townsfolk are volunteers and we do the best we can. To compare us is unfair, but I think we offer somethings they do not.

Quote:
I must say however, I was disappointed in the Wake Forest fair. It was definitely lacking in the amount of 'events' that were available to see. You pay $12 to enter and are met by an almost endless amount of vendors... which is expected to a certain degree, but the disparity to events/shows were greatly unbalanced.
The building you have to walk through to get to the greater part of the faire is the only one we have, so all of the vendors that need to be inside (such as chainmail, that rusts, or books, which can be damaged by the slightest moisture) are crammed in there. If you can get past the gauntlet of vendors you will make it into the wide open space that is our Shire. That building is also the only source of water and power, so there are some vendors dependant on those things right outside, but this is temporary because we are just renting this site.

Quote:
The energy wasn't there for us, it was way too geared towards young children.
We do try hard to be an educational, family freindly faire, but if you want some funny bawdy songs, you should check out the Interpreters in the pub, or Capt. Moon in the same place. All the not-so-G-rated acts have to preform there. Teatro and Excentric (spelled wrong) are both great groups performing throught the day, with plenty of energy for all. Please don't write off our faire simply becasue we do not measure up to NY.

However, if you are interested in some good faires closer to NC, you should try Carolina Reniassance Festivle and, a bit further, but worth the drive, Maryland Reniassance Festivle. They might be more to your taste. Please have fun wherever you choose to step back in time.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 AM

158 posts, read 472,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mberry View Post
We do try hard to be an educational, family freindly faire, but if you want some funny bawdy songs, you should check out the Interpreters in the pub, or Capt. Moon in the same place. All the not-so-G-rated acts have to preform there. Teatro and Excentric (spelled wrong) are both great groups performing throught the day, with plenty of energy for all. Please don't write off our faire simply becasue we do not measure up to NY.
I was able to check out the pub and spent a good amount of time there. That definitely felt like it could be fun if I brought a few friends with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mberry View Post
However, if you are interested in some good faires closer to NC, you should try Carolina Reniassance Festivle and, a bit further, but worth the drive, Maryland Reniassance Festivle. They might be more to your taste. Please have fun wherever you choose to step back in time.
I appreciate the advice. In all honesty, I had a hard time writing that review because I do wish that our local fair will grow. I grew up going to renaissance fairs and always loved them. If there is a place to donate, I may see myself doing that next year

Old 04-02-2009, 09:35 AM

60 posts, read 221,254 times
The way I understand it, the Raleigh/Wake Forest Faire is a nonprofit volunteer organization, where as the Charlotte Faire and others are for-profit businesses. At least that's what I think; I could be wrong. So, it would be understandable why there is such a difference in things. As mberry points out, the R-WF faire is really young and for the first time is not at the state fairgrounds. So, I would expect it to be a little more "raw" than previous years.

I had a blast at the faire this past weekend, apart from the rain and wind. I agree that patrons do get hit with the vendors first thing, which can be a turn-off, but once you get into the Shire, there is a lot to see and do.

I don't have kids; I went by myself and spent the whole day watching shows, fighting a knight for charity, listening to the acts in the pub, drooling over the beautiful costumes, etc. and I was exhausted when I got home - be prepared to do a lot of walking! I saw lots of things that were kid-oriented, too, but I felt there was plenty to entertain me. But, I've not been to some larger faires, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing out on...

Old 04-13-2009, 12:18 PM

11 posts, read 30,398 times
I have a bunch of images like these below at this link...

http://www.lusterstudios.com/renaiss...aissance-faire

Last edited by lusterstudios; 04-13-2009 at 12:38 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 01:36 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lusterstudios View Post
I have a bunch of images like these below at this link...

Renaissance Fair North Carolina - Wake Forest Renaissance Faire » Luster Studios

Your photos are amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary