Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:54 AM

228 posts, read 802,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
BINGO.

I will definitely avoid a grocery store when I get rude or blatantly inattentive service by the checkers, but I also contact mgmt to let them know, to give them a chance to rectify it by training or downsizing.
Agreed with all this. I've found awesome service at Harris Teater though, but Kroger and Food Lion are definitely lower in service. I think you just have to know what to expect, and if you dont like it, vote with your wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 01:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
kjchess, as a restaurant manager, when is an appropriate time to provide (negative) feedback about one's dining experience? I'm not talking about simple being inattentive or being overwhelmed with a neighboring 10-up, but when I'm taking my party our for a special occasion and we're having/had a really horrible dining experience. I've always felt that is was appropriate to vote with my money, that is, to not return to the restaurant, but then feel like nobody would every know we were upset. People say to take it out of the tip, but having worked in a restaurant, I don't feel that's appropriate either. Furthermore, there are plenty of people that receive good service and still leave a crappy tip. So, what to do?

And no, I haven't felt that there are *way* more bad servers at restaurants lately. If anything, with dining rooms appearing less busy, I've felt I've gotten more personalized attention at the restaurants I'm frequenting.
We make it a point to tell management about extra good or extra bad service.

Their response governs whether we return.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:44 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
Heard on the radio this morning that restaurants are nixing bus boys (to save money) and expecting the servers to take on that responsibility. Is that happening here in the Triangle?
When I wanted tables over 20 years ago (in Raleigh), we didn't have busboys and had to bus and set our own tables (at one restaurant), so this isn't necessarily anything new.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:33 PM

147 posts, read 427,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielChang View Post
kjchess, as a restaurant manager, when is an appropriate time to provide (negative) feedback about one's dining experience? I'm not talking about simple being inattentive or being overwhelmed with a neighboring 10-up, but when I'm taking my party our for a special occasion and we're having/had a really horrible dining experience. I've always felt that is was appropriate to vote with my money, that is, to not return to the restaurant, but then feel like nobody would every know we were upset. People say to take it out of the tip, but having worked in a restaurant, I don't feel that's appropriate either. Furthermore, there are plenty of people that receive good service and still leave a crappy tip. So, what to do?

And no, I haven't felt that there are *way* more bad servers at restaurants lately. If anything, with dining rooms appearing less busy, I've felt I've gotten more personalized attention at the restaurants I'm frequenting.
I am very picky about the service I receive when I goe out...very picky. I will let the manager know as I am leaving and as other mentioned judge my returning to the establiment on the managers response to my complaint. If I am with a group I will typically call back at a later time and speak with the manager. I am also quite blunt with the server if I felt the problem was there. I want them to understand exactly why I didn't tip them generously.

I tip 25% for great service, 20% for good/fair service, and 10-15% FOR substandard service. (With an explanation of what I was not happy about) My wife gets upset because I will literally turn the slip over and leave a bullet list of things that could have been improved. Call me an a-hole but the servers who have had me and did well, remember me and give me good service. I have seen servers run over and whisper to a server waiting on us, and we more times than not get great service.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:47 PM

114 posts, read 207,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It is not just Raleigh, it is all around. If one more server comes to the table where my husband and I are sitting and asks, "What would you GUYS like," I think I will say, "To eat at a place where ladies are not called GUYS" and get up and leave. I hate the word GUYS and think no one serving the public should ever address ladies and gentlemen in that way. It is a very bad habbit and should be stopped.

Shortened meaning of the word "Guy." A person of grotesque appearance. Fellow. It is really a demeaning term meant to lower the status of the person being addressed. If I am going to be paying someone to serve me, I don't want to be addressed as "someone who plotted to blow up the English House of Parliament."
I do not like being called a guy either. Some people may make fun of southerners saying y’all but at least it is gender neutral.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:50 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
yeesh. I tip the standard 15% for service unless it was esp good (or esp bad).

I also know someone who was infamous for complaining about meals....the mgr comes out, she (in a doe-eyed soft cell kind of way) explains how the meal or service or something was substandard, and regularly got free meals out of it. I started to wonder if she ever paid for a meal out in her life.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:42 AM

121 posts, read 381,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbie99 View Post
Agreed with all this. I've found awesome service at Harris Teater though, but Kroger and Food Lion are definitely lower in service. I think you just have to know what to expect, and if you dont like it, vote with your wallet.
My in-laws came down from Michigan and were shocked to find out that around here it is commonplace for (if not expected that) grocery store baggers will offer to carry a large order of groceries out to your car.

Having lived most of my life in the south, I really didn't know any other way. When I worked at the Winn-Dixie in high school every old woman expected you to carry her bag out.

Standards change, though, especially as labor gets more expensive and profit margins become more thin.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 AM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times
I haven't noticed it at all. Compared to Portland, service in the Triangle is great.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If one more server comes to the table where my husband and I are sitting and asks, "What would you GUYS like," I think I will say, "To eat at a place where ladies are not called GUYS" and get up and leave.
Oooh, I hate that! It's especially bad at a nicer place, where you're not paying "you guys" prices.

Another pet peeve is the overuse of the word "awesome." Why do servers feel compelled to squeal, "AWESOME!" after I place my order?

Old 01-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjchess View Post
I tip 25% for great service, 20% for good/fair service, and 10-15% FOR substandard service.
I tip well, too, unless the service is arrogant and rude.

I still like to eat out a couple times a week, but to save money I'm cutting back on what I order. Instead of full dinners, I usually just get a salad or pasta, and a simple cocktail or glass of wine. The servers still have to work, though, so I try to compensate for the less expensive food by tipping 25% - 30%. I imagine if people are spending less, that their overall tips are decreasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary