Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2007, 09:03 AM

117 posts, read 384,141 times

Advertisements

Attention Realtors or anyone else with the answer to my question:
I would like to know how the resale value is looking in southeast raleigh, particulary the chastain or battle ridge at chastain community. I'm looking to purchase a brand new home out there that will cost 175,000. My goal is to stay in at for about 5 years and then sell. Do you all think this is a smart way to go? Please help me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 09:16 AM

43,015 posts, read 76,519,527 times
Your appreciation will be linked to new construction costs, pricing, and inventory.
Like someone said on an earlier thread, Raleigh is running out of development land and SE Raleigh will increase in value due to that fact alone, since there is still land available.
I would think you would do all right. Not as well as closer into the city, but all right in five years.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:25 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,134,244 times
Hard to say...if only the darn crystal ball was working today!

In the past...anything around Poole Road had a stigma attached to it. It does seem that alot of new construction is going on out there. It does seem like the developers and builders think it will be the next area to grow.

Only time will tell.

Don't you just hate it when people tell you that "it depends"!!!

If only we all knew which area would appreciate faster and best...

Vicki

Old 03-12-2007, 02:39 PM

207 posts, read 1,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighBound View Post
Attention Realtors or anyone else with the answer to my question:
I would like to know how the resale value is looking in southeast raleigh, particulary the chastain or battle ridge at chastain community. I'm looking to purchase a brand new home out there that will cost 175,000. My goal is to stay in at for about 5 years and then sell. Do you all think this is a smart way to go? Please help me out!
I don't see that area increasing in value that much over a five-year period. The location isn't that great of a selling point right now (although they are building grocery stores, etc... in the area) and the roads are terrible in the area (two lane roads getting to those areas that get backed up now). The homes themselves are ok but none of those neighborhoods has that “wow” factor that excites people. Cookie cutter, not much land and not a lot of pizzazz or upgrades. You can try to improve your house yourself but many people in that area are first time working class buyers who aren't looking for something that extravagant anyway.

SE raleigh and the whole 27610 zip code does have a stigma attached to it. The areas you are looking aren't deserving of this stigma, they're still relatively new and aren't in the historically bad parts of SE raleigh. However the thing with SE raleigh is that even though many new subdivisions/communities/shopping are being built the homes all seem to be geared toward people looking to spend less than $200k. Where are the $250k and up neighborhoods? Where are the million dollar homes? What does the area have in the way of housing for the upper middle class? If builders in SE raleigh offered neighborhoods like these the area might be able to take off because it would be more attractive to a wider range of people.

You will have no problem selling the home in five years, there are plenty of people looking for homes like these. I feel you will have a problem if you buy in that area and think you can flip it and make a profit. Look at the resale value of other subdivisions in that area that have been around a few years (Maybrook crossing area comes to mind). The homes are not selling for much more than when they were built.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:39 PM

401 posts, read 1,618,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT-X View Post
Where are the $250k and up neighborhoods? Where are the million dollar homes? What does the area have in the way of housing for the upper middle class? If builders in SE raleigh offered neighborhoods like these the area might be able to take off because it would be more attractive to a wider range of people.
They are in the process of building a golf course development (Olde Towne Raleigh) that is supposed to have 3,000+/- single famile homes, And 350,000 s.f. of retail space at the corner of Rock Quarry Rd. and New Hope Rd..I think this, along with the Wal-Mart that will be built near the Alltell pavillion and some other projects getting under way will help jumpstart the "bigger", "nicer" homes that are missing in the area.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:54 PM

207 posts, read 1,085,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cary native View Post
They are in the process of building a golf course development (Olde Towne Raleigh) that is supposed to have 3,000+/- single famile homes, And 350,000 s.f. of retail space at the corner of Rock Quarry Rd. and New Hope Rd..I think this, along with the Wal-Mart that will be built near the Alltell pavillion and some other projects getting under way will help jumpstart the "bigger", "nicer" homes that are missing in the area.
That will be nice, I hadn't heard anything about the project. The area definitely needs some upscale homes/neighborhoods to attract a wider range of buyers...

Old 03-14-2007, 04:39 AM

583 posts, read 2,796,895 times
They're also building that huge development at the corner of Tryon and 401and Wilmington Street. I think it's called something like Tryon Palace. It may be considered Garner, but it's still on the edge of SE Raleigh. From driving by it looks like it'll border RGA golf course some too. They've built the club house first, so it may primarily be town houses?

Old 09-16-2010, 04:02 PM

10 posts, read 20,424 times
Old Town if not going to be built. The land is now owned by a bank in Ohio, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary