Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,388 times

Advertisements

Hi, been lurking here for a while now.....am thinking of relocating to your area, as we now live in West Michigan, and between the economy (many parts of the country have a cold, we have cancer!) and REALLY being over the winter thing (anyone heard of "Lake Effect"?) We're ready to pack it in! Have looked at the country, and weather wise this area appeals to us the most as both the summers and winters seem within our tolerances. Have no kids left at home and can be somewhat footloose.
So, for my ???, I am an expert floorcovering Installer with over 30 yrs. experience with Vinyls, Laminates, Hardwood and Carpet.......this being said, I am aware that New Construction has taken a heavy hit, however I not only enjoy but am thrilled with "remodel" work....need to know who are the Quality stores to inquire at, any contacts would also be appreciated as to whom to talk to.
We intend to come down for a week or so, check things out, and perhaps do some "sample" work, as everyone SAYS they're great, but the proof is in the pudding (or on the floor!)
Also, we will need a place to stay in the area (up to 30 mi. radius), some type of "residence inn" or somesuch with weekly rates, in a safe area.
Thank you in advance for your help! Feel free to post, or PM me.
-Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 AM

48 posts, read 158,742 times
Can't help you with the work angle but you need to be prepared for the summers. The humidity can be so bad it can take your breath away. I'm from Flint so I know that the differences between here and there are extreme. Just use the same mind set to summers as you do with winners and you'll be fine.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,195 times
I would stay at RTP. There are a handful of hotels right off of I-40 and you will be within driving distance of Durham, Raleigh, Cary and Chapel Hill.

hotels loc: Niehs Research Triangle Park Dam, North Carolina 27560 - Google Maps

As for flooring goes, the best I can come up with is Home Depot or Lowes. I am sure there are others, but that is who I have used (or did it myself).

Cheers!
Matt

Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 PM

Default Ummmmmmm

Thanks for the replies........I believe there's a large difference between Flint and the Lake Michigan coastline, just saying that we're no stranger to 85-98% humidity levels here....... As far as Home Depot or Lowes, unless things are very different in the triangle than they are here, I'll just say that I'm really looking for a more professional setting.
EDIT.......OOOps.....Didn't realize I hadn't put my location in my profile.......my bad......West MI has plenty of humidity due to Lake MI, and also plenty of snow for the same reason......

Old 01-27-2009, 12:19 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
You might try the hotels on Wake Forest Road, in Raleigh, such as Amerisuites. I personally wouldn't want to stay in RTP; it's a big office park. Grass. Trees. Cement. Cars. Office buildings. Hotels might be less expensive in Raleigh, I dunno. You can also try hotwire and see what comes up.

I think there is less need for floor installers than there used to be because a lot of people do it themselves. (I used to work for a major laminated floor company, and that was the general consensus.) As far as carpet laying, you may be competing against foreign workers. (We had a whole house carpeted, and they were the least expensive by far. Did a great job.)

Home Depot is also laying off a lot of people nationally; I don't know how that will affect local stores.

I would guess that people are probably putting off home remodeling or doing it themselves.

And yes, many of us here are quite familiar with "lake effect." You should visit here in July and see if you can stand the humidity. It's wicked.

I'm just a ray of sunshine today.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 PM

128 posts, read 412,838 times
There are a number of professional flooring installers here - Brentwood Carpets and Floors, Virginia Flooring, and many others. Check the Home Builders Association website Home Builders Association of Raleigh-Wake County, North Carolina to get some more names. There are many others who aren't members, but these are USUALLY more reputable.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:13 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taconis View Post
Can't help you with the work angle but you need to be prepared for the summers. The humidity can be so bad it can take your breath away. I'm from Flint so I know that the differences between here and there are extreme. Just use the same mind set to summers as you do with winners and you'll be fine.
My boss at USPS was from Flint and adapted well to the heat.

I came here from New Orleans in 1989 and it felt like Alaska.

Immigrants both legal and other have dominated construction for some time. If there's no job lined up and you are stable in MI, consider waiting until the economy rebounds.

I hate cold weather and love Raleigh.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 PM

Thanks saturnfan, don't really think the summer weather will be a bother...no job lined up.....that is why we're headed down for a week or so......to check possibilities.....there's usually opportunities if one posesses better than average skills.....if not, oh well, maybe later and we'll still escape winter for a bit! And BTW, NOTHING is stable in MI right now, except the snow.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:36 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
Thanks saturnfan, don't really think the summer weather will be a bother...no job lined up.....that is why we're headed down for a week or so......to check possibilities.....there's usually opportunities if one posesses better than average skills.....if not, oh well, maybe later and we'll still escape winter for a bit! And BTW, NOTHING is stable in MI right now, except the snow.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary