Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:15 PM

959 posts, read 4,484,229 times

Advertisements

My hubby got a great offer so we're finally moving to the triangle

This weekend we visited family down there and there was so much socializing and catching up going on that we barely had time to drive around to check out areas. I figured someone out there might be interested in hearing our impressions of a few neighborhoods.

We didn't have time to look at Cary neighborhoods, but I've driven around it a lot in the past, and done some shopping there (including picking up some ADC map books in Borders on Sat). It's neat and tidy. The epitome of suburbia

We drove through Chapel Hill. It's VERY hilly It's out of our price range for the sq footage we want so we didn't go into any subdivisions. What I saw reminded me of Charlottesville, VA. Pretty town

APEX

Apex has an adorable downtown and historic area, as well as several new and newer subdivisions. I was able to see the historic train bridge that forces 55 to be one lane each way for a while and causes some traffic issues for those in south Apex and Holly Springs. Apparently the biggest issue with widening it (aside from $$$ and its historic value) is that a major Amtrak route depends on it being there.

We have some family that lives in the Lexington subdivision in Apex. I saw a mix of townhouses, ranches, and two story homes. There's nothing for sale right now but I would guess them to be in the 100s - 200s. The lots are small but they left trees up all around the perimeter. I saw a lot of young families.

We drove through the Dogwood Ridge and Amherst subdivisions, which look to be in the 200s-400s. It was a bit hilly so several of the homes were yardless The homes were close together, but not on top of each other. It was a pretty subdivision. Relaxing.

Next we went to the Haddon Hall subdivision. It's right across 55 from the Beaver Creek shopping which looked reeeeeeeally nice to me It has (or will have): SuperTarget, Lowe's, Linens N Things, Dick's Sporting Goods, Borders bookstore, Circuit City, Old Navy, TJ Maxx and HomeGoods.

So back to Haddon Hall. My husband said it didn't feel home-y/welcoming to him but he couldn't put his finger on why. The yards are all insanely green and immaculate. They either have a really overactive gardening club, really strict HOA rules, or can all afford lawn services I would guess it's 300s on up? Next door is a more expensive-looking subdivision called Haddon Place. The location had me excited b/c of the shopping right there. For some reason my husband didn't think that was a plus

HOLLY SPRINGS

This was our favorite area. All of North Carolina is beautiful - very green with gorgeous trees and rivers, yada yada. But there was something especially pretty about Holly Springs. I really wanted to spend a lot of time here but we had family waiting with KFC so we had to rush through.

There's a LOT of building going on. We saw some strip mall looking construction in the middle of town, as well as subdivisions popping up everywhere. Holly Springs Elementary is possibly the cutest elementary school I've ever seen. I really regretted not bringing a camera. Will try to pack it this wknd when we go scout for houses.

The only subdivision we had time to drive through was Sunset Ridge. My husband said it was his favorite of everything we saw. A lot of beautiful homes with a lot of trees. It's a pity about their outrageous HOA fees.

PITTSBORO

This area was way too rural for us but we checked it out anyway since it's so central to everything (15-25 miles gets you just about everywhere in the triangle), and there is a new subdivision that intrigued me called Potterstone Village. The downtown area is very cute and quaint. We saw a huge Lowe's, but I think that's the only modern shopping in town. Downtown has bed and breakfasts, antique stores, and restaurants. But as soon as you leave the tiny downtown you're in farmland. I got directions to the subdivision at a convenience store that involved turning left at the chicken factory I thought that was very amusing but my husband accused me of being a snob As an aside, does anyone know what happens at a chicken factory? I'm picturing feathers being separated from deceased chickens We actually never did see the chicken factory so either it's in a very innocuous looking small building, or the person was mistaken about where it was located. I was picturing a huge industrial-ish building with "CHICKEN FACTORY" on a sign out front. Anyway...onto the subdivision.

Potterstone Village (www.potterstonevillage.com) is very pretty. They've left trees up all over, and some of the lots are partially wooded. It was really hopping. There were people all over checking it out, and lots of sold signs. It looks about 1/2 complete with still some empty lots, and several homes in mid construction. The homes all looked unique and next to Sunset Ridge, was the prettiest subdivision we saw. Beautiful country location, gorgeous homes. The community pool is pretty small but then the subdivision doesn't have that many homes in it.

HILLSBOROUGH

We barely went through a little of the downtown area and some of the older homes in the outskirts. It's a pretty town but I barely saw it. We beelined for a subdivision called Burkes Meadow. It was very nice, with custom homes. It got rural very fast as soon as you left subdivision and got on highways heading out. I wish I'd had more time to explore and to see how long it would take to get to Burlington as that would be a shopping destination. It took us 20 mins to get from the tippy top of Chapel Hill to the subdivision in the north of Hillsborough.

If I'd had more time I would have checked out SW Durham, Morrisville, and Cary. Possibly Burlington. My husband's job is in Chapel Hill.

All right I'm done rambling for now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 04:30 PM

83 posts, read 351,499 times
I live on the edge of Cary. I have an Apex mailing address. My son goes to school in Holly Springs. This week I really like Holly Springs! They have opened a new library and Cultural Arts Center near the Town Hall. The Cultural Arts Center has a mix of shows with tickets ranging from free to maybe $10. Holly Springs is very focused on community. They have community events all the time! Holly Springs is growing really fast. The Mayor is watching the growth and trying to keep his community quaint while it grows.
Now the advantage of living just outside of Cary, Apex and Holly Springs is that they all have Christmas Parades at different times and I can go to at least 5 different Christmas Parades every year (I love the holidays!). They all have their spring craft shows and 4th of July celebrations - all within a short distance from my house! Fuquay Varina is just down the road so I can make it to their community events in just a short drive also.
The start point of deciding where to live is according to your price range for your home. Cary is neat, clean and also has great events but the price of housing is going up fast!
Get with a real estate agent so you can find the best home and community for you and your family (they also know the backroads to Chapel Hill!)
Good Luck!

Old 03-12-2007, 07:38 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,146,671 times
Indigoblue, I enjoyed reading your "ramblings"!

I love hearing different people's perspective on the different areas.

Vicki

Old 03-12-2007, 07:46 PM

68 posts, read 271,686 times
Indigoblue,
I also enjoyed your post. You sound just like me and my husband. The "Chicken Factory" sign was especially funny. That's exactly what I would be thinking. Anyway Sunset Ridge is one of our favorites so far as well. Good luck with your house hunting. Melissa

Old 03-12-2007, 11:59 PM

359 posts, read 1,834,253 times
Indigoblue,
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. We will not be able to visit before we move there, so it was really nice to get your impressions. In fact, it was so nice that you left me hungry for more. Feel free to post your tours when you go scouting for houses, if you have time.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:09 AM

12 posts, read 41,121 times
Default great post!

Your post made me realize all over again why we'll be renting instead of buying for a while. We're visiting in a few weeks, and even though we know we'll be renting in Chapel Hill (b/c my husband wants our kid in the school system there), I will be doing some driving around for sure.

If I find out what happens in the chicken factory, I'll be sure to post and let you know!

Old 05-17-2010, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,389 times
We're moving down from NY this summer. I did 2 tours of house hunting once at the end of last summer and once in March. I spent up to 12 full hours in the rental car going from one area to another. I liked Holly Springs and Fuquay Varina - but it was a little too far from the suburban feel...a bit too rural for me. Clearly I'm still a city girl and have to break in a little at a time, so we are settling in Apex/Cary. It feels more like home to me. I really liked Apex High School for my son. We will be renting for the first year so we don't jump into buying something we're not happy with and it really gives us time to aclimate to the area.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:49 PM

213 posts, read 209,948 times
So glad to read your ideas of the areas. We are looking as retired empty nesters and to be closeer to our kids and grandkids in Cary and Elon.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:00 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,223,630 times
Pinehurstcharlie, you might like Hillsborough. It would be about halfway between your kids.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:23 AM

100 posts, read 110,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinx View Post
If I find out what happens in the chicken factory, I'll be sure to post and let you know!
North Carolina makes a lot of money raising chickens & hogs. Guess what happens to them before they get to the grocery store shelves. THAT'S what goes on in the chicken factories. Unfortunately, they hire a lot of undocumented immigrants and the working conditions are very poor. Every time I think about it, I want to be a vegetarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary