Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:19 PM

57 posts, read 168,006 times

Advertisements

Give me a break, I took it as TIC - maybe you should too.

I am not for specific breed bannings, but I would support licensing requirements to own certain breeds.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:24 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Our apt community will not allow certain breeds because of their greater propensity to cause serious injury.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:28 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonswoods View Post
Some Great Dane bloodlines can be quite aggressive. You obviously know very little about Great Dane bloodlines. I bred Great Danes for show many years ago and I do know that some can be not the gentle giant we love to believe most are and most responsible breeders breed for. There are thousands of irresponsible backyard breeders of all breeds, including the Great Dane, Pit and others...often inbred, often poorly socialized and worst of all, poorly placed into new homes with no contracts, no screening... just hand over the cash. It is THOSE dogs I am talking about most. But because you cannot discern by the naked eye...which dogs come from what breeding... there should be a blanket law to protect the community.
Based on the above logic, then labs and goldens should be banned by a blanket law as well. They are large dogs capable of vicious attacks, and as popular pets, they've been overbred by back yard breeders and puppy mills for years. Even labs and goldens have lines that are known to be aggressive and have poor unstable temperment. And they look just as cute and friendly as the next lab.

Back yard breeders are a problem for any breed. They destroy the temperment and health of animals and introduce bad dogs into the breeding stock. Personally, I would like to see legislation that bans back yard breeding (and puppy mills too), period, and leave breeding to responsible reputable hobby breeders that test for health and temperment.

Regarding the OP, I would call animal control for the following reasons:
1) To report that the dogs remain chained outside (depending on local legislation, this could be against the law).
2) Dogs are breeding and puppies are running amuck.
3) Report each and every time the dogs are loose.

Hopefully this will result in fines and the owner will consider putting a fence around their property, or otherwise being a more responsible owner.

I would do this regardless of the breed of dog, whether it be labs, chihuahuas, or pit bulls. The dogs may not be aggressive, but they are being a menace and a nuisance.

p.s. For the poster who laughed at the idea of a toy breed causing a viscous attack, even dachshunds are hunting breeds bred to kill badgers and other animals. There have been numerous incidents of attacks by toy breeds such as dachshunds, yorkshire terriers, and even pomeranians resulting in death (mainly in children). The can-do-no-wrong labs have also been reported for causing deadly attacks.

Any and every dog is capable of biting. Poor socialization, abuse, and lack of training will increase the likelihood of a dog biting. Banning one breed will only lead to the targetting of a new "problem breed." In the end, this problem won't be fixed until we have harsher punishments for animal abuse, restrict irresponsible breeding, and and have steeper penalties for irresponsibel owners.

Last edited by vemureaux; 01-28-2009 at 02:00 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 01:29 PM

57 posts, read 168,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyouknow View Post
It was, but the rest of his post wasn't. It was an irresponsible post that gave many mistruths about pit bulls.

Licensing to own certain breeds - I'm not against it necessarily, but the actual offenders who have created this nightmare for pit bulls wouldn't bother.
Well, that is a matter of opinion. I don't care for the dogs either but I have no dog in this fight (heh heh heh).

As far as licensing requirements to own these dogs, sure the fighters and jerks wouldn't bother but think of the ramifications that could be imposed when they get caught. It'll catch on. There has to be some other way than idiots owning potential time bombs. Without the proper care and training I personally believe these dogs are disasters in the making.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:33 PM

7 posts, read 14,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial Mom View Post
There has to be some other way than idiots owning potential time bombs. Without the proper care and training I personally believe these dogs are disasters in the making.
Without the proper care and training, ANY dog is a disaster in the making. Take a look at "It's me or the Dog" on Animal Planet sometime - little fluffy dogs are big trouble too...their jaws are just not as strong.

Pits are not "potential time bombs" by nature. They're just not. Petey on Little Rascals was a pit bull. It's the idiots who have created the problem...

Old 01-28-2009, 01:39 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
In the interest of keeping this LOCAL to the RDU area, I will agree with those who say to call authorities if the dogs are loose and appear threatening. Also, I'd call the SPCA about the fact that they are chained up outside for long periods, too.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:41 PM

553 posts, read 1,271,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
How many people have been mauled and killed by a dachshund?
Actually, there is a Lab-Dachshund in my neighborhood that is quite viscous.

It's the owner of the breed....not the breed itself that's the problem.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:45 PM

553 posts, read 1,271,685 times
Quote:
It was, but the rest of his post wasn't. It was an irresponsible post that gave many mistruths about pit bulls.

Licensing to own certain breeds - I'm not against it necessarily, but the actual offenders who have created this nightmare for pit bulls wouldn't bother.
Absoluely true! People need to understand that it is the idiots out there who are irresponsible owners are the problem. Adding more laws and restrictions will not stop the problem.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:53 PM

158 posts, read 472,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
With pit bulls it is not a matter of "if" but "when".
I'm sorry but this statement is ignorant and promotes fear. This isn't meant to be a personal attack, so I apologize if it's offensive... I'm more interested in addressing this stereotypical fear mongering misconception.

I'm not going to try to lecture anyone here or defend a particular dog breed, I'm simply trying to make the point that you should never make generalized sweeping statements. They're extremely regressive at this point in history.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:59 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:

True. But that sort of rule would make removing the pit bulls from bad owners much easier and faster. No license or permit to own one, the dog is immediately removed and evaluated, and depending on the evaluation, neutered and rehomed or put to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary