Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:32 PM

4 posts, read 20,125 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I qualify for 350k mortgage and there are two plans i have with it:
Plan A:
I buy two small townhomes each worth 170K, one for my residence and one for renting out.

Plan B:
buy one big single family home for 340K and bank on its appreciation.

there are pros and cons for both the plans ,,

a discussion on this would be greatly appreciated
thanks,
andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 07:43 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,032,472 times
I think a lot of it is going to depend on where you are planning to buy. Is a townhouse going to be where you are planning in living for 5 years? Some townhouses appreciate more than others, some get very little appreciation.

A home, in a new community in a great location might get more appreciation. But again, it all depends on where you will live in the triangle, where will you need to commute to work, etc.

I could discuss more if I knew more about the location you were thinking about buying in the triangle (north raleigh versus knightdale versus cay, etc)

Leigh

Old 03-12-2007, 07:48 PM

207 posts, read 1,088,711 times
The way you worded this makes it seem like you aren't looking for a permanent home/residence. It appears like you are only interested in buying something to reap monetary benefit in the future. Nothing wrong with that, although I'd rather spend the money knowing I was getting something I'd be happy with for a long time. If you are simply buying for financial reasons there is nothing to discuss, your success will depend on many different variables that none of us can predict... If you are buying something because you really like the property and see yourself being there a long time then you can't forget about appreciation and investing in an additional townhome and just choose the property that satifies your needs the best...

Old 03-12-2007, 08:28 PM

Hi leigh,

thanks for the response.
I am looking in western cary and morrisville.

I currently live in an apartment and my need for space is very limited as of now. ( its me and my wife ... and i would not be having a child for atleast 5 years to come ) so a 1400 sq ft townhome would be enough for me.

thanks,
andy

Old 03-12-2007, 08:51 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,032,472 times
Well..........that is an interesting dilemma! I think there are definitely some good townhome communities in morrisville, and I do think that finding a person to rent wouldn't be too difficult because people want to live close to the park. If you buy in a new neighborhood you will probably see more return on your investment, than if you buy a resale property in morrisville. The downside to morrisville is the airport noise, and you also need to find out where 540 would come through and steer clear of that!

Anyhow, PM me if you want more thoughts.

Leigh

Old 03-12-2007, 09:24 PM

HI Leigh,

still i am not clear which would be better idea:

buy a single family home worth 350k in a new community in western cary or morrisville. ( bank on the appreciation )

or buy two small townhomes in a new community and rent one out.

andy

Old 03-13-2007, 05:52 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,618,413 times
Well, I can say I had to be a landlord for about 10 years. I bought a condo in 1988 (to live in) that depreciated more 50% in value, so I was stuck renting it out when I wanted to live somewhere else. Let's just say that is the LAST time I want to be a landlord - between the people I had to evict, and the guy who refused to pay his rent because their was a water leak from the unit above - ugh!

The Triangle seems to have very modest home appreciation overall - an average of 5% a year or so. I've never bought new, but I don't think I'd buy a more expensive/larger house than I really wanted, just for the potential future appreciation.

My advice would be buy the house you need/want, and invest the rest of the money. Unless you've been a landlord in the past and like the whole "tenants and toilets" bit!

Old 03-13-2007, 06:41 AM

50 posts, read 273,053 times
Buying two townhouses and renting one out would most likely be the better investment. But this all depends on the tenants if you get someone that parties all the time or just doesn't help take care of the place you may have all kinds or repairs to pay for. You may not be able to find people to rent it or may have tenants that you have to evict which can be a long process even if they aren't paying rent. Also I notice you say you qualified for 350K but usually if you buy a house at the max that you qualify for then your going to end up being house poor because all you money goes just to mortgage payments. I qualified for a 250k loan but in reality I really could only buy a 170k house and have the money to enjoy it. It really just depends on what you want to do I think to many people forget that a house isn't just an investment its where your going to live.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:34 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,076 times
Where's the townhouse? If it's in a suburban area (like North Raleigh or Cary) then don't bother....from what I see on craigslist and other rental sites, townhouse rentals in those areas are a dime a dozen! You'd have to put it out there pretty cheap to hook in anyone probably.
Now if it's in like central Raleigh, or another "downtown" area in the Triangle, or next to a college area, then you could very well make some good rental money from it....those type of townhome rentals are pretty high in demand.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:23 AM

653 posts, read 2,986,711 times
I would add another question: when you did your loan approval, did you tell them about your plan? Qualifying for $350k for your primary residence is very different from qualifying to purchase investment property.

Just keep in mind, if you haven't already checked in to it, that for the investment purchase, you'll need minimum 20% downpayment, and the qualifications are much tighter than for your primary residence. To the bank, the risk is higher that if you fall on tough times, you'll let the payments slide on the rental long before you'll risk your own home. It may not be as simple as $350 for one or $175 each for two on your pre-qual.

I also agree w/ pp - finding a townhouse that will appreciate in this area takes some good research - some townhomes near Brier Creek have done quite well, some nice condos near NCSU haven't gone up at all in 5 years.

They're increasingly tough to find in a good area in your price range, but if you're patient, you may want to look for a small single family residence as a rental instead of a townhouse. The demand for entry level housing, especially in an area with good schools and low crime, makes this a rising segment in the market. But, you need the time to wait for the right property, then you need to be ready to move on it quickly!

Consider a third option: For your own residence, find a nice single family home in the mid 200s, and put the extra money into a cd or savings account (some online banks are paying 5% interest, not bad!), putting aside your monthly savings on payments until you have the 20% for your investment property. In the meantime, research your neighborhoods - one without too many other rentals, good schools, low crime, etc. Once you've got your downpayment, wait and pounce, so to speak. When you're more in control of the timing, you'll have a better chance of making a good investment decision than if you just buy whatever's available now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary