U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,365 times

Advertisements

Can anyone who has kids or had kids at Woods Charter School tell me what is good about it and what they would like to see change? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
K
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 12,191 times
Default Feeback on Woods Charter School

Woods Charter was an excellent school for my daughter for grades 5-7. During 7th grade things have changed and it seems to be moving from an emphasis in family involvement, recognition of diverse learning styles, and balance of strong academics with social skills and balancing life to trying to be a copy of the Chapel Hill Schools which we left. We originally moved to Woods because Chapel HIll Schools seemed to focus on test scores and gifted kids to exclusion of the average A-B student and kids that may have special needs. My daughter has some learning issues and I was told at Chapel HIll Schools not to expect her ever to make As. She's now making A's and B's but the pressure is now equivalent to ridiculous pressure put on kids at Chapel Hill Schools. We have a doctor who tells me, parents in Chapel Hill try to get their kids diagnosed with ADHD so they can get amphetamines so that their kids can study all night. That seems a bit sick to me.

Anyway, we've loved Woods until the past year and 1/2. Listening to parents has diminished, I believe, and I'm afraid ts becoming a Chapel Hill School wanna be. We will be making decisions ourselves soon about what to do. I 'd love stay and help move the school back to the balanced and inclusive school it used to be. The teachers are excellent by the way.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 12,191 times
Default Feeback on Woods Charter School

Woods Charter was an excellent school for my daughter for grades 5-7. During 7th grade the administration changed and it seems to be moving from an emphasis in family involvement, recognition of diverse learning styles, and balance of strong academics with social skills and balancing life to trying to be a copy of the Chapel Hill Schools which we left. We originally moved to Woods because Chapel HIll Schools seemed to focus on test scores and gifted kids to exclusion of the average A-B student and kids that may have special needs. My daughter has some learning issues and I was told at Chapel HIll Schools not to expect her ever to make As. She's now making A's and B's but the pressure is now equivalent to ridiculous pressure put on kids at Chapel Hill Schools. We have a doctor who tells me, parents in Chapel Hill try to get their kids diagnosed with ADHD so they can get amphetamines so that their kids can study all night. That seems a bit sick to me.

Anyway, we've loved Woods until the past year and 1/2.

I've recently been told they want to focus on the elite gifted kids -- what a thing to say and admit as a publicly funded school. The teachers are still fantastic, by the way.

Disappointed

Last edited by melodydmoore; 08-21-2009 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: clarify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary