Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 12:36 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Haven't you also stated that rental prices are low here?

Also, home prices have not ballooned here at all like other places. Prices have pretty much had a nice steady slow appreciation overall. What you are seeing more of are bigger homes being built, that cost more. That is not what one would consider rising home prices. The older, smaller homes are still much cheaper.
The newer rental buildings all aim at the yuppies with glitzy amenities and high prices plus ripoff fees offered up by carpetbagging developers frothing at the idea of yuppie money. This will hurt as many older complexes reach the end of their useful life.

Homes too. McMansion infill on Millbrook Road is plain nauseating and out of context.

We need the traffic and pollution from overcrowding like a dog needs fleas.

Politicians sold out to "growth is good" left us in a bind for infrastructure demands not funded by impact fees because of the political clout of the real estate industry.

Remember the word "Californication" used to identify damage from migration in the Pacific Northwest. That's what happened here.

Perhaps it will reverse itself but a lot of damage was already done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 02:44 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
The newer rental buildings all aim at the yuppies with glitzy amenities and high prices plus ripoff fees offered up by carpetbagging developers frothing at the idea of yuppie money. This will hurt as many older complexes reach the end of their useful life.

Homes too. McMansion infill on Millbrook Road is plain nauseating and out of context.

We need the traffic and pollution from overcrowding like a dog needs fleas.

Politicians sold out to "growth is good" left us in a bind for infrastructure demands not funded by impact fees because of the political clout of the real estate industry.

Remember the word "Californication" used to identify damage from migration in the Pacific Northwest. That's what happened here.

Perhaps it will reverse itself but a lot of damage was already done.
Well even though I cannot afford some of what is around me, I am not jealous over those that have what they have. There is plenty that is affordable and I really love how the Triangle continues to improve. As far as I am concerned, they cannot rip down the old crap and replace it with new & shiny stuff fast enough. I say keep it coming baby. Having all the additional amenities at hand really adds to the quality of life and reduces the cost of living by having more things available to people close by. I say build it up. Don't stop. Keep it coming.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Those who came here with "balloon" money drove up rental and home prices for the lower middle class working people who traditionally lived here.
I just want to help with clarifying the statement about rent costs. It is confusing because the quote above states rents have been driven up by transplants, but then the previous quote I have posted below states the rents are good.

Quote:
Rents are good here.....
//www.city-data.com/forum/raleigh-durham-chapel-hill-cary/550849-unbelievably-high-rental-prices-triangle-area-2.html

Old 02-01-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I just want to help with clarifying the statement about rent costs. It is confusing because the quote above states rents have been driven up by transplants, but then the previous quote I have posted below states the rents are good.

//www.city-data.com/forum/raleigh-durham-chapel-hill-cary/550849-unbelievably-high-rental-prices-triangle-area-2.html
I'm not in a brand new yuppie magnet building. Now, if my place runs down, choices in the moderate range will be fewer.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
I'm not in a brand new yuppie magnet building. Now, if my place runs down, choices in the moderate range will be fewer.
You can come on over to Cary. My son has a really nice modern apartment in a great area for mid $600's. As a matter of fact, we found a ton of nice apartments for him between $600 & $700. We found others in the $500's, but not as nice.

I think that your first statement that rents are affordable is much more accurate than your second statement that rents have been driven up and are not affordable.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:25 AM

305 posts, read 713,372 times
Quote:
You can come on over to Cary. My son has a really nice modern apartment in a great area for mid $600's. As a matter of fact, we found a ton of nice apartments for him between $600 & $700. We found others in the $500's, but not as nice.
If Cary keeps renting places at such low rates, Cary won't be nice for very much longer.

But since Cary is sandwiched inbetween Durham and Raleigh (both becoming crummier by the day), I don't expect Cary to stay nice anyway.
Enjoy it while it lasts.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
If Cary keeps renting places at such low rates, Cary won't be nice for very much longer.

Finally, a point that may be valid. In one respect I would prefer the rents to be as high as possible, in order to keep the unwanteds out. The higher the rent, the fewer questionable people will rent. The same goes for home prices. That's why we refuse to purchase the most expensive home in the cheapest area. We always try to buy the cheapest home in a more expensive area. It makes a difference. Very good point.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:09 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
My son has a really nice modern apartment in a great area for mid $600's. As a matter of fact, we found a ton of nice apartments for him between $600 & $700.
Where?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Well even though I cannot afford some of what is around me, I am not jealous over those that have what they have. There is plenty that is affordable and I really love how the Triangle continues to improve. As far as I am concerned, they cannot rip down the old crap and replace it with new & shiny stuff fast enough. I say keep it coming baby. Having all the additional amenities at hand really adds to the quality of life and reduces the cost of living by having more things available to people close by. I say build it up. Don't stop. Keep it coming.
You might enjoy NJ. It's already like what you want for the Triangle and has the taxes already at crazy levels.

Quick, call Southwest Airlines.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:57 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
You should also take into account the quality of life, not just cost.

You think its crowded here, you think it's expensive here, it's not.

My commute is about 1/2 the time and distance and 100% less frustrating, I have a yard, place to park my car and my house is twice as big and 1/2 as much and the salary's are about 80-90% of where I moved from. I can go to a store and speak to someone that shares the same language as me and is friendly.

The only thing I would change is build more retail and services, and while it looks like they are, it seems for the time being the workers and equipment are idle.

There is a reason people move here, glad I didn't buy a house during the bubble cause I would be taking it on the chin like my friends.

Wash DC -> Holly Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary