Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:18 AM

535 posts, read 1,736,792 times

Advertisements

If you're feeling adventurous try getting stuff from the trucks that you see parked. If there is a huge crowd even better. I had fish tacos from one once, it was parked down the street from me. Fish, cabbage, corn tortillas and pico de gallo. Wash 'em down with a few beers or a Jarritos if you're a kid.

Best ones I had were from a roadside vendor on the way to K-38 in Baja. Fish tacos, beer and some smoke afterwards. Perfect end to a day of great surf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 07:56 AM

767 posts, read 1,843,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinegal View Post
I'm excited about this great find and will make a point to head out that way. Ive never been to Carrboro. Keep looking for something closer though! Raleigh or Cary. You mentioned it's a small place, but what's the atmosphere like? Hole in the wall, strip mall, or clean, cute and cozy? I don't like places that are too nasty looking regardless of how authentic. But small is fine!
I would call it a step above hole in the wall, not fancy in any way...but very clean and yes, the bathrooms were clean too. I was completely comfortable eating there.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:18 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,124,134 times
yay! the wife and i will deinfitely be trying this out. if it is as i hope it is, i finally have that one last thing i missed from SoCal (especially since i can find Stone Brew and Mission Chips now. Mmmmmmmmm!)

Mike

Old 02-02-2009, 12:03 AM

241 posts, read 932,322 times
Default Another recommendation from a native socalif-ian

Tacos Mexico in Apex:
209 E Williams St
Apex, NC 27502
(919) 362-8074

VERY good enchiladas, tacos, chips, salsa, guac, flan etc etc. They even have Mole. Reminds us of a family-owned mexican food place we went to in L.A. We are told this is more of a "Mexico City style" mexican food. (I have no idea what that means exactly... will have to look it up).

We also love Cosmic and go to Chipotle a lot since it's so close by (We used to trek out to Burbank or Pasadena for Chipotle and fight for parking... so this is quite a treat). One thing about Tacos Mexico... the booths are really uncomfortable because I think they were made by slapping two straight boards together and adding some thin foam. If you don't like being seated at a 90 degree angle, you might think about taking it to go?

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed

Old 02-02-2009, 03:12 PM

906 posts, read 2,376,249 times
This place in Raleigh is very good. It's by Wal-Mart on Spring Forest Rd/Wake Forest Rd

Muy Pronto Fonda y Birrieria Jalisco
1600 Ronald Drive
Raleigh
790-1999

Haven't been there in a while, but Las Margaritas Express was always very good too. Its not the same as Las Margaritas. This one is just a small taqueria in Mini-City, near Barbecue Lodge.

Dos Taquitos on Creedmoor is another good restaurant. I've not been to the one downtown yet (Dos Taquitos Centro) but it received a great rating from Greg Cox, the N&O food critic.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:16 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,945,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm looking forward to trying Fiesta Grill. I see they have Ceviche... yum.

Does anyone know if Fiesta Grill or Cosmic Cantina have fish tacos.... maybe as a special???
Fiesta grills ceviche is a huge bargain, although they used to only serve it on weekends (if I remember correctly). Don't recall them having fish tacos, although I think I would have ordered them if they had them.

No fish tacos at cosmic.

Chubby's taco's in durham has them, they are OK.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:00 PM

35 posts, read 111,148 times
How dare you mention authentic Mexican food without mentioning Chipotle, Moe's Southwest and Taco Bell. The fresh ingredients of Taco Bell, makes me feel like I am actually in Mexico, New Mexico that is.

All joking aside you do not need to go all the way to Carborro. In Raleigh, on Capital Boulevard there is a little hole in the wall with very decent Mexican food. A fresh salsa bar (carrots, radishes and onions) and the whole nine. I am not saying this place is the be all end all, I am just saying if you need a "rolled taco fix" or some fresh Menudo in addition to many other favorites, go to

Los Cuates‎ 3505 Capital or 4524 Old Wake Forest Rd. Owner is from San Diego.. 'nuff said!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:12 PM

169 posts, read 776,830 times
I've been to Fiesta Grill and I like it (keep in mind they're closed on Mondays!), but it's not "authentic Mexican food" as in what you would find in Mexico. Ask anyone who's been past the border of Mexico, the food they eat on a daily basis is quite different.

That said, I like the American versions much better than the authentic Mexican style cuisine, which is quite simple.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,376,387 times
Tonali - Durham, NC, 27707 - Citysearch

According to some of the ladies in my Tai Chi class Tonali's Restaurant in Durham is the place to go for organic Mexican food. It is supposedly a hole in the wall place where most of the staff don't speak English but the food is delicious.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:32 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,909,545 times
I still say Tereros is the best overall. It is a tad bit Americanized, but the consitency and amount of food for price can't be beat. We ate there the other night and my meal was not served on a plate, it was platter. Large enough to feed a small group of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary