Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:12 AM

72 posts, read 283,280 times

Advertisements

I commute from North Raleigh (Falls of Neuse) to RTP (Perrimeter Pkwy) via 540. It's almost exactly 20 miles and takes me 25-30 minutes depending on traffic. As long as I'm out the door by 8am traffic on 540 is not that bad providing there are no accidents.

I grew up having to ride the bus for an hour+ to school in the morning and both of my parents have around 45 minute commutes so it's really nothing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
I commute from my bed to my desk in my home office..about 20 seconds.
Well, you have the record I guess! I usually stop at the kitchen en route to make coffee, so it takes me about five to ten minutes to get to the office. Alas, the phone's email alerts me to any work issues I might have immediately when I wake up, so I guess you could say my commute is about two or three seconds.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:18 AM

635 posts, read 3,091,689 times
Lightbulb Working from home can be a mixed bag too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Well, you have the record I guess! I usually stop at the kitchen en route to make coffee, so it takes me about five to ten minutes to get to the office. Alas, the phone's email alerts me to any work issues I might have immediately when I wake up, so I guess you could say my commute is about two or three seconds.

Working from home can also be a love/hate affair depending on one's own preferences and work style.

I've worked from home and found that:

1) If one doesn't have a dedicated work space that can be sequestered from "home" and everyone knows when the work hours are, it can be hard to maximize work time.

2) Except for the best people at "networking" remotely, something is lost by not being in the office and networking in person and real time.

That being said, just like the tolerance for varying commute times, it really depends on the person, the job, and their ability to make working from home successful and satisfying.

For me it worked out best to have the option to work from home occasionally and also be able to get into the office conveniently and most often. I found the in person interaction extremely valuable and helpful in segregating personal from work time.

Al

Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
Thank you for your imput. I wouldn't be on any of the freeways just New Light to the 98 . .to Six Forks or Creedmoor into the area surrounding Crab Tree Mall. That really ain't that bad and the location of our home (hopefully to be) is in a very serene and peaceful area. I love the drive on Six Forks around Falls Lake so I guess it could be a lot worse. Oh, and I work 3-11 so guess no whining after all.
Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 AM

271 posts, read 700,543 times
I live in North Cary
North harrison meets NW Cary Pkwy. I work Perimter Park Drive in Morrisville. Its Great 10 Mins about 6 Miles Away.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:50 PM

10 posts, read 32,595 times
Default Knightdale

We just built a house in horton mill in Knightdale we love it it has a country fill but 15 min from clayton raleigh cary love it!!

Old 02-16-2009, 03:24 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Mayor Meeker says you should live near your work as he does.

He's right. My commute was 2 miles and normally 10 minutes dogging it.

Fine idea. Just trade down if you must to find a place.

What good's a fancy place if you waste a lot of your day and money on useless commuting.

For once I agree with our Raleigh mayor.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:33 PM

36 posts, read 128,949 times
I live in Holly Springs and commute to the border of Cary and Raleigh. Commute is nice - 25 minutes during the heaviest rush hour and 12-14 minutes any other time. Quality of life is through the roof as I don't have to endure the DC standard 60 minute commute (at 6AM) and 75+ minute evening commute!

I think this is part of the secret to why people are so friendly down here. I have little doubt the Pope would strangle someone after a week's worth of DC traffic!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyboat View Post
I live very close to where you're looking (in Devonshire, which is 3 miles up New Light from the 98/Six Forks intersection) & my commute into RTP is 30 minutes. As some others have mentioned as well, to me it's the quality of the commute, not just the length of time it takes. While it wasn't clear where exactly you'd be commuting to, there are several ways into RTP from up here that avoid a lot of the heavier traffic & are in fact quite beautiful (like driving over the lake). I'd much rather prefer a 30 min long non-stressful commute to one that's shorter but is constantly bumper-to-bumper. If you need any specific advice on living up in this area feel free to send me a message. My husband & I love living up here. Best of luck with your search.
I would have to agree, although the commute is not mine but my husband's. We moved the same distance from his job than we lived in cary, but the commute is completely different. It takes less time from wake forest, he goes the back way, doesn't have heavy traffic and it is SO much nicer to be out of bumper to bumper. It takes him 30 minutes to get to work and it is simply down time for him, and much more relaxing than dealing with us 1, 40, etc.

Leigh

Old 02-17-2009, 06:22 AM

656 posts, read 1,990,416 times
We lived in Crescent Ridge Subdivision about 5 miles down on New Light Road. We just moved but stayed within 7 miles of the same area - actually farther out.

We LOVE LOVE LOVE the area. We are from California and the commute to Raleigh did not bother us in the least since we were used to a 35 - 45 minute drive to work anyhow. My husband commuted from there to Morrisville and now commutes to where the RBC center is in Raleigh. He is perfectly happy doing it.

That area to live for us is so worth the drive --- It is so peaceful and away from all the congestion that living closer in would be IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary