Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 16,344 times

Advertisements

We are looking at houses in Durham (190k-250k). My husband and I have graduate degrees and are looking for a school district that will foster our child's abilities and provide her with a rigorous education. Where should we look?

Secondly, if this is only possible through the magnet system, how likely is it that she be admitted to the magnet of our choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 01:04 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,025,236 times
High Schools typically Jordan and Riverside perform the best on tests...determine from that what you will in accordance with your view on test scores' relationship to school quality.

Durham School of the Arts is excellent but as you pointed out, it's a magnet/lottery.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:45 PM

We have friends who are moving to Wake County instead. Specifically for better schools. Should we be looking there instead?

Old 01-12-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandaod View Post
We have friends who are moving to Wake County instead. Specifically for better schools. Should we be looking there instead?
It's an error to just say one county is better than another county for schools.

Check some of the archives on this board and you will see that schools, and in particular Wake County schools, are one of the hottest issues to discuss.

Whether we're talking about test scores, redistricting, busing , etc, it seems that there are people on both sides of the fence.

As I said, it would be an error to say that Wake County is just blanket-wise better than any other county. It depends on each individual school.

There are some GREAT schools in Wake County, and some very poor schools in Wake County. There are some GREAT schools in Durham county, and likewise some very poor ones as well.

I know this isn't the most helpful answer, but it's just not black and white. One thing people do say about Wake County is that you should not move to a specific home because of a specific school alone, because reassignment/districting happens more frequently in the growing areas of Wake County and you may be assigned to a different school down the road.

I know of someone who moved out of this area years ago, but moved back specifically to send her kids to Durham School of the Arts. That's pretty high praise right there.

Jordan High is a national top 500 high school...maybe even top 200 or 300 I think. I know Wake has ranked high schools also.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:52 PM

Thank you! This is helpful. Do you feel comfortable enough to mention what you would consider to be the better elementary, middle and high schools in Durham?

Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 PM

And lastly, we heard that the Hillside school has problems, but is a proud historically black school. Is the main problem the low "scores" or are there truly systemic problems like violence and drugs? Would a white kid be welcome? How successful is the IB program, and what proportion of the school is enrolled in it?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:16 PM

673 posts, read 2,267,803 times
Quote:
And lastly, we heard that the Hillside school has problems, but is a proud historically black school. Is the main problem the low "scores" or are there truly systemic problems like violence and drugs? Would a white kid be welcome? How successful is the IB program, and what proportion of the school is enrolled in it?
Ooooh, I'll answer this one!

We moved to NC last year (September 2007), and my daughter, a HS senior, attended Hillside High School for her senior year. Our family is Caucasian, and although my daughter was a "minority" at this school, we had no problems. In fact, my daughter had an excellent senior year!

Just like any other school across America, Hillside has classes that cater to the brighter students as well as to students that are struggling to keep up.

I had very positive encounters with teachers, administrators, and counseling staff. I was able to attend only one of the PTA meetings during this year, however, and I regret that I did not attend more or become more involved. While not heavily attended by many parents (and this was the case in our nearly all-white school system in Michigan as well), I was very pleasantly surprised to see the principal AND numerous teachers in attendance.

While we felt a little bit of a "culture shock" when we first stepped foot into Hillside, we quickly became comfortable at this school. The principal, Earl Pappy, is a very visible around the students and takes great pride in the school.

Feel free to send me a DM if you have additional questions.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Thank you! This is helpful. Do you feel comfortable enough to mention what you would consider to be the better elementary, middle and high schools in Durham?
Unfortunately I am not too familiar with those. I know that Creekside/Githens/Jordan is a pretty popular SW Durham trio amongst real estate hunters, though Creekside has issues with overcrowding.

Beyond that I will leave it to others to share...

Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,697,631 times
I think a lot of it depends on your child, different kids excel in different environments. Fortunately, Durham has a pretty liberal transfer policy, and a lot of great schools offering many different types of programs. I think it would be hard for me to tell you which was the best school until I knew more about your kids, and what made them tick.

I can tell you that Riverside is a great High School choice, as I know the principal fairly well, and my wife's brother has attended there the last 3 years.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,399,355 times
Quote:
We are looking at houses in Durham (190k-250k). My husband and I have graduate degrees and are looking for a school district that will foster our child's abilities and provide her with a rigorous education. Where should we look?
A wonderful place to live in Durham is around Woodcroft Parkway. Depending on where on Woodcroft Parkway, your high school will be Jordan or Hillside. Jordan is a really good school. I personally would avoid Hillside at all cost.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ft-durham.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary