Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:21 AM

5 posts, read 7,633 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in Manhattan and are considering a move to Raleigh. We love the conveniences and excitement of living here; walking/subway distance to everything, good restaurants, theater and culture, etc. However, we find a lack of "community" here and it goes without sayting that the cost of living is incredibly high.

We are wondering what the best neighborhoods would be to explore in the Raleigh/Durham area - preferably ones that have charm and character - safe and sociable. I did look at a few condo rentals in downtown but heard that it's a ghost town on weekends (ugh). I would also hope to pursue a job in the area of fashion / jewelry (preferably corporate) but think this may be a tall order. We heard Cary (?) is nice.

Any thoughts/advice would be most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:01 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Why are you considering Raleigh specifically? Have you visited this area before? When you say you're looking for something with more of a community feel, what exactly do you mean? Do you want more of a suburban atmosphere? Because we've got that in spades, but we definitely don't have the excitement that you'll find in Manhattan.

Based on the little bit of info you've given so far, I'm not sure this area would be a good fit for you right now. The housing may be less expensive here, but the lifestyle is VERY different.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 AM

746 posts, read 2,247,949 times
I think you would miss Manhattan terribly. The "community" feel isn't as strong as it is in NYC, from my experience. That changes if you have kids, however. If it's cost of living and religion bringing you here - that's a different story - cost of living here compared to NYC is a pittance, and religious groups and activities are many and diverse. (especially Christian). But bread? fugettaboudit. Ditto Bway and off Bway ... STOMP is here - I think I saw it 15 years ago in NY? Restaurants that are predictably wonderful are few and far between. The beat of the city is simply not here.

Don't misinterpret me - I love it here for what it is, but I do sometimes miss what it isn't. For me, the cost of living, particularly with kiddos, was a major (primary) consideration.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
First, please don't move here unless you already have a job; it's a horrible time to just plop down and expect to find something, when people are laying workers off in every industry.

Second, you won't find any of the "city" things you seem to be looking for and our public transportation is horrible. Living downtown would be the closest thing to "city" you could find, but you'd find it rather bleak, from what you're used to.

As for Cary, it's a "bedroom community" suburb--absolutely NO "city" to it; in fact, people move there to get away from the "city" stuff. Mostly it is neighborhood after neighborhood of McMansions or cookie-cutter housing developments thrown up as fast as the transplants can move here, taking down dozens of farms and wooded areas in the process. It's an ideal place to raise children, but that would need to be your primary goal.

In NC, Charlotte is the biggest "city", but I still wouldn't compare it to NYC by any stretch! Atlanta or DC are the closest in that regard.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 AM

My husband is interviewing for a job there...
So does anybody really LIKE living in Raleigh or do people just live there because they have to and it's affordable?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 AM

746 posts, read 2,247,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar0033 View Post
So does anybody really LIKE living in Raleigh or do people just live there because they have to and it's affordable?
It's a combination. We are here because my husband's job brought him here 5 years ago. Certainly we could have moved when he changed jobs, but we have established ourselves, made friends, and we have grown to love it here.

Anywhere you move will be a tough transition, particularly the older you get. But the transition, IMO, from NYC to anywhere else, is especially difficult. You will miss friends, you will miss bagels, you will miss your routine, you will miss the variety of things to do on a whim.

That's not to say that other parts of the country aren't wonderful, they just aren't NYC. I love that I feel safe here with my kids. I love that I don't have to sit in traffic for a zillion hours while taking them somewhere. I love that I don't have to scour for parking, or pay a mortgage to have my own parking space. I love that there's a walmart down the street. I love that there is open space, clean air, and not a lot of ambient noise. I love the parks and museums Raleigh has to offer, and I love the cost of them!

I love the activities that are family friendly here. I love the farmers market and the farms and the americana. I love most of my neighbors. I love raising my kids here. I love that the airport is a piece of cake to get into and out of and that parking is cheap. I love that a traffic jam here is a daily commute in NYC. I LOVE not paying a toll to go someplace (anywhere off Manhattan!)

Spend at least a weekend here to get a better idea of what it's like before you jump in.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Shar, there are plenty of people who like living in the Triangle - love it, even. It's all a matter of tastes and preferences. If you really do love the energy and excitement of the big city, then you'll probably find the Triangle to be far too sleepy and dull. If you prefer the suburbs, then the Triangle would be right up your alley. For instance, a lot of people from Long Island have moved to this area in recent years (people even joke that "Cary" stands for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees" ) and for the most part, they seem content with the move. If you're looking for a less expensive version of the Long Island lifestyle, the Triangle could be the right place for you. If you're looking for a less expensive version of your current Manhattan lifestyle, you should probably keep looking.

Note that I'm just addressing lifestyle concerns, not financial concerns. If your husband is currently out of work & you simply cannot survive in Manhattan anymore, then I can understand why you'd be willing to go wherever your husband can get a job. Just be sure to examine how the move will affect your career, too. And keep in mind that if you don't like it here, perhaps you can move back in a few years when things are better.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar0033 View Post
My husband and I live in Cary and are very happy. We're older, 50's and enjoy the quiet suburban atmosphere. We moved here from RI for a less hectic pace of life. I think Cary is an ideal place for empy nesters or to raise a family as is most of the Triangle. It may also be a good fit for younger childless couples who are looking for a peaceful suburbia. Our son and daughter in law live in Hoboken, work in midtown. They've been down to visit and while they think it is a nice place, they could never live here. So, I'll agree with the previous posters and encourage you to come down for visit and see what you think firsthand.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:35 AM

Thank you Ncer,

I appreciate your response and I think you've summed up what our concerns are. We've only lived in NY for 5 years though (originally from Toronto, Canada) so although it's very difficult to know how we might feel if we give up our lifestyle, we certainly spent many years without it prior to moving here.

We do plan to spend the weekend in Raleigh when my husband interviews to really get a feel for it.

Any recommendations on where/what we should explore?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:38 AM

Also thank you Mrs STeele -
I'm not used to this web-site yet so did not see 2 replies.
We live right in Manhattan (flatiron- yes we love it AND we pay for it) but I appreciate the Long Island reference and will definately check out the "Triangle".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary