Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:47 PM

285 posts, read 836,520 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys

I'm looking for some advice on a potentially tricky subject...

I live in a top floor apartment in Brier Creek. Its a great place, and we're ideally located. We really dont want to move from where we are at the moment

From time to time, I can hear the music/TV from the person living below me. Its usually on a weekend, but sometimes of an evening after work. During the week - if at all - its usually stopped by 10pm ish at the latest. During the weekend (like the Saturday just gone) it went on for a few hours in the afternoon, but was stopped by 6pm ish

I have been down and spoken to the neighbor, and he honestly doesnt know he's doing it - I think I just put it down to the poor build quality/lack of insulation in the apartments. He has been great and very apologetic, and I'm loathe to keep going down to him "every time" I hear something

The noise is usually music - specifically the bass and that low thumping that you hear (I'm sure you know what I mean).

I am torn because I know the music is not that loud (although it varies), doesnt go on for too long, and doesnt happen late at night - I know I'm luckier than most that have this issue. On the other hand though, it is really bothering me, and whenever I am out I feel myself starting to worry when its time to make my way home, as I'm concerned about the noise - this happens pretty much every day now.

Part of me does feel that I'm being oversenstive to this (my other half tells me this constantly!), but I feel that my privacy and right to enjoy my home are being taken away. As I say, the person below is great and I honestly dont think its a deliberate action, or that the music is even "that" loud - its more to do with the apartment building itself

Does anyone have any recommendations on action I can take, or anything/anyone locally that has a way to combat this? I'm debating about soundproofing, but I doubt that I'd be able to do this in an rented apartment (not sure about the cost either). I've had a look online at options and suggestions, and the best I can see is to invest in a large rug - but I'm not sure if that will help

As I say, if anyone has any pointers for local suppliers for anything that could help block out the noise it would be appreciated

And - before you say it - "get over it", "think yourself lucky", or "put up or move out" are all things the missus says to me on a regular basis!

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 04:02 PM

94 posts, read 248,561 times
If it's just the bass that is bothering you, tell him turn turn it down or turn it off. He shouldn't need bass jacked up to listen to his music. Be cool about it and be specific that it's his bass that is bothering you. If that doesn't help, then he's left you no other choice than to file a complaint to the apartment manager.

I've been there, done that. I know how much of a pain in the *** that can be. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:07 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Unfortunately, he does have a right to a reasonable amount of TV, music, whatever, and stopping by 10 PM is a reasonable hour.

At the same time, I know how once something like that gets under your skin, it's IMPOSSIBLE to ignore it.

You might need to ask to move to another apartment in the complex, but bear in mind it might be worse there. Generally noise from BELOW isn't as bad as noise from ABOVE (people walking around, babies crying, etc), so I don't know what your options are without being a total jerk to your neighbor.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,949 times
ditto the sentiment of the poster above [nikola tesla] Is apartment living your end-game, or are you looking for a house long term? Sounds like the neighbor is reasonable - and it also sounds like you are sensitive to a really obnoxious sound. I personally can't stand it, particularly when driving down the road and people have their car stereos completely jacked up.

The fact of the matter is that you LIVE there, as much as your neighbor does, and there are rules associated with living there -- if you can't get resolution, talk to the property manager. There is nothing more unsettling than not wanting to be "home" because it's not comfortable.

Good luck.

Last edited by NcerfromNY; 01-12-2009 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 PM

18,091 posts, read 15,670,593 times
earplugs or those sound cancelling earphones.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,310 times
Unfortunately, that's all too common with apartment living. You are very lucky that it's only during the day and not at inconvenient hours. I've dealt with many unhappy residents who have been royally inconvenienced from inconsiderate neighbors. While I definitely sympathize, there's really not much you can do aside from moving. Your neighbors aren't violating their agreement and your landlord is in compliance with yours. You *could* complain to management as the pp said, but honestly it won't get you anywhere. Unless they're in obvious violation of their lease or community rules (which include quiet hours), then management can't/won't step in. While you are entitled to "quiet enjoyment," as you noted, I don't know of any judge that will find that this is affecting that for you. That is really a tough thing to prove, and it really applies to huge problems, not the occassional music being heard during daytime and early evening hours. It stinks, I know, I agree, but it's apartment living and it's to be expected. I've worked in many communities and lived in many as well and I've never had any apartment be completely noise proof.

As far as soundproofing, you'd have to get written permission from management. Depends on the company, but typically alterations of that magnitude aren't approved because the community is trying to keep all of the apartments uniform. Plus it would be at your expense if approved. Put that money into finding a house to rent IMO.

Best bet, talk to your neighbors again about the bass. Alot of times the bass is really what's most bothersome, not the actual volume. Hopefully they'll be considerate and turn it down.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:20 PM

I agree - he really has been reasonable when I've spoken to him about it. I dont think he can control his bass - to be fair we had a look last time and I couldnt see where to control it.

I dont want to be an jerk about this, and I dont want to start complaining too much as I dont think its his fault really - just wondering if there are any suggestions as to how I could mute it as much as possible from my place - any local suppliers or people who may have ideas!

Cheers

Old 01-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
Unfortunately, that's all too common with apartment living. You are very lucky that it's only during the day and not at inconvenient hours. I've dealt with many unhappy residents who have been royally inconvenienced from inconsiderate neighbors. While I definitely sympathize, there's really not much you can do aside from moving. Your neighbors aren't violating their agreement and your landlord is in compliance with yours. You *could* complain to management as the pp said, but honestly it won't get you anywhere. Unless they're in obvious violation of their lease or community rules (which include quiet hours), then management can't/won't step in. While you are entitled to "quiet enjoyment," as you noted, I don't know of any judge that will find that this is affecting that for you. That is really a tough thing to prove, and it really applies to huge problems, not the occassional music being heard during daytime and early evening hours. It stinks, I know, I agree, but it's apartment living and it's to be expected. I've worked in many communities and lived in many as well and I've never had any apartment be completely noise proof.

As far as soundproofing, you'd have to get written permission from management. Depends on the company, but typically alterations of that magnitude aren't approved because the community is trying to keep all of the apartments uniform. Plus it would be at your expense if approved. Put that money into finding a house to rent IMO.

Best bet, talk to your neighbors again about the bass. Alot of times the bass is really what's most bothersome, not the actual volume. Hopefully they'll be considerate and turn it down.

Good luck!

Thanks - I think I agree with you. I'm used to my place back in the UK where they back properties out of brick instead of wood - I never had this issue back at my apartment back home, which is why I now think I'm spoiled!!

Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
I've not seen a sound system where you can't turn down the bass level with the adjustment controls.

Many new apt buildings are made very cheaply w/o insulation in the floors between units.

Perhaps the other resident might consider limiting the bass output.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:04 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
While it sounds like he is being reasonable, I know what it is like to be supremely annoyed by a sound that you cannot control. How about creating some ambient sound in your own apartment, such as running a fan, the TV or your own music, or one of those noise maker things that make sounds such as the ocean or rain, etc.?

In my last apartment, which was in a complex (I live in a BRICK quad now, and it is a million times better, even being on the bottom floor with hardwoods upstairs), I could hear my downstairs neighbor even when she was outside on her balcony. I never seemed to hear anything during the day, but often it would be at 2-3am on a weeknight. I also heard everything anyone said at the pool at night since our apartment overlooked it. It was because the building was built like junk - seriously, how much noise can fiberboard, vinyl siding and probably the cheapest insulation available really keep out? It was a royal pain, and we only lasted 1 year there.

I wish you the best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary