Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Durham, Durham real estate market, Durham North Carolina houses under 400k, walkable neighborhoods, homes close to parks

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootie the Brave View Post
I'm sure this will be considered "spin", but I'd like to point out that many people think education is something that can't be measured in EOGs, but instead in life experiences and richness.

Correct.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
you cannot offer one concrete fact that substantiates your claim.
See Judge Howard Manning.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:00 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,470 times
Well, then, girl put your records on, tell me your favorite song.

Oh, wait, you've already told us. Over. And over. And over. I think it's skipping.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:57 PM

519 posts, read 982,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
See Judge Howard Manning.
Judge Howard Manning's ruling affects 2 high schools in Durham County Public schools, as well as 17 other high schools in North Carolina, in regards to the Leandro ruling. His ruling does not affect any other schools in the DPS. Also, that ruling was quite some time ago and Southern as well as Hillside are still open. What good does it do for those students and the community if those schools are closed?

This source does nothing to substantiate your claims concerning the DPS system as a whole. Also, I am asking for a source that supports your "99.999%" statistic. One source that is not your opinion, your friend's opinion, your neighbor's opinion, or something you discussed at the water cooler. A fact supported by an accredited research, education, or journalistic publication. Seriously. Prove your claim. Don't accuse me of spin. I want a source to support your claim of "99.999%."

Seriously... what is your deal with DPS?

Old 03-23-2009, 03:02 AM

45 posts, read 125,826 times
Default A brief word in support of the embattled Charlton

We're relocating from out of state and have been trying to decide on where in the triangle to settle for several months now, with school quality being an over-riding consideration. We've probably spoken to literally hundreds of people with kids in many different districts--colleagues, friends, realtors, home-sellers, and in some cases random people that we've stopped on the street. And I think that it is an undeniable fact that DPS has a generally poor reputation overall, although people have good things to say about individual schools. Jordan HS and the Durham School of the Arts, for instance, seem to be highly regarded.

Conventional wisdom is apparently as follows: consider private schools if you live in Durham, go to public schools in Chapel Hill, and public or private schools in Raleigh depending on the area and your tolerance for redistricting. Now...whether that conventional wisdom is correct or not, I'll leave for others to debate. But the hearsay and offhand advice is remarkably consistent no matter who we've talked to.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgangrene View Post
We're relocating from out of state and have been trying to decide on where in the triangle to settle for several months now, with school quality being an over-riding consideration. We've probably spoken to literally hundreds of people with kids in many different districts--colleagues, friends, realtors, home-sellers, and in some cases random people that we've stopped on the street. And I think that it is an undeniable fact that DPS has a generally poor reputation overall, although people have good things to say about individual schools. Jordan HS and the Durham School of the Arts, for instance, seem to be highly regarded.

Conventional wisdom is apparently as follows: consider private schools if you live in Durham, go to public schools in Chapel Hill, and public or private schools in Raleigh depending on the area and your tolerance for redistricting. Now...whether that conventional wisdom is correct or not, I'll leave for others to debate. But the hearsay and offhand advice is remarkably consistent no matter who we've talked to.

Thank you for the honesty and support. Jordan High School is one of the better schools that Durham has for sure. If the rest of the schools were like Jordan, we would not even be having this debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary