Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:38 AM

133 posts, read 710,816 times

Advertisements

No reference to St. Paddy's Day or money (although I have nothing against either)

I'm referring more to foliage, lots of trees, lush green grass and all that stuff. Blue skies and nice clear water are also very nice.
I was looking through some of the pics that were posted on this thread, and I couldn't get over all the leaf-less trees and all that brown "stuff" on the ground. I suppose that's because the region is just getting out of its winter season...just not used to seeing that. Our climate here in HI doesn't really change much...maybe fluctuate some 20 degrees or so throughout the year. Lots of green and blue to be found here.

One of the main reasons why we're choosing NC over other parts of the country is for its temperate climate (or so I've read), and the scenic backdrop (from the pics that we've seen...mostly from sites/ads advertising the state).
So when does Spring kick in? We're visiting the area in a month. What should we expect (climate-wise)? The temps displayed on the Weather Channel website fluctuates quite a bit from day to day. I've been tracking in the past few weeks, and it goes anywhere from mid 40's to mid 70's...in the day. I'm assuming it gets much colder at night.
Any suggestions on "appropriate" attire? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 05:59 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
We are into spring right now!
Trees are budding for leaves.
Lots of stuff is blooming, pears and other ornamental trees, forsythia, daphne, winter honeysuckle is wrapping up, and still some pansies left over for a few months. Grass is green. Time for spring lawn work and mowing.

While the climate here is temperate, we do have four reasonably defined seasons. We do have a lot of volatility in temperatures, particularly in Spring.
Yesterday was 81 degrees. Today we are looking for 78 degrees.
Tomorrow, with rain, we likely will not get out off the 50's.

It's all good... I moved here from deep snow and deep freeze.

Oh, clothing...
be ready for cool or warm. Coming from HI, you will likely feel cold if you are here on a rainy March or April day. A light jacket is recommended, with a light sweater under if it is cool.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:27 AM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,077 times
hi2nc,

One of the reasons my wife and I moved to the Triangle was to get some more green. We were coming from Northern Virginia where the winter is very brown. But the triangle has so many pine trees, which are evergreens, that even in the winter the Triangle is always somewhat green. Here are some pictures I took last weekend in the Duke Gardens. You can see there are still some bare trees, but the ever greens create quite a bit of green just by themselves.

ok - this one isn't green

Old 03-15-2007, 08:17 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,004,259 times
A good rule of thumb I have found since we have moved here is to dress in layers. I always carry a light weight sweater with me even on the warmest days because I find that the AC inside is often on the cool side. Yesterday started quite cool. I wore capris a tank a short sleeved shirt over the tank and a sweater over that. By 5PM yesterday I was down to just the tank and capris!

Old 03-15-2007, 08:26 AM

98 posts, read 637,114 times
nice pics !! I have always enjoyed sunny days at Duke Gardens which is a little oasis there in Durham - I wonder how many people have never even been to walk around the gardens? well worth a Sunday afternoon visit

Old 03-15-2007, 10:32 AM

133 posts, read 710,816 times
Thanks for the tips...layered clothing it is then! Should be relatively warm in April, so a light jacket would probably be good enough. Coming from HI, anything in the 60's and below is "chilly."

Oh yeah, nice pics of the gardens. will be sure to visit that.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:22 PM

567 posts, read 2,140,664 times
Default Green - Duke Gardens

We were also attracted to the variety of trees in NC, particularly the shade trees, and the green rolling hills. Moving from flat Florida, it was so refreshing!

The pictures of the Duke Gardens are great!

I've enjoyed my time walking through there. I particularly like the Japanese-style garden. And I didn't realize how well-done they were until I had the good fortune to visit Japan. I was walking through a garden there and thought, "Wow! This is gorgeous! It looks like the DUKE GARDENS!"

HA!

Old 03-15-2007, 01:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Today....the high was 80 and the low 60...tomorrow, high of 50, low of 30. Spring brings about extreme fluctuations in temperature in NC...and really most of the eastern US.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:01 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Normal temps for Raleigh-Durham:

JAN
H 49.8
L 29.6

APR
H 71.8
L 46.4

JUL
H 89.1
L 68.5

OCT
H 71.8
L 48.2

National Weather Service

Old 03-15-2007, 02:16 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
hi2nc,

One of the reasons my wife and I moved to the Triangle was to get some more green. We were coming from Northern Virginia where the winter is very brown. But the triangle has so many pine trees, which are evergreens, that even in the winter the Triangle is always somewhat green. Here are some pictures I took last weekend in the Duke Gardens. You can see there are still some bare trees, but the ever greens create quite a bit of green just by themselves.

ok - this one isn't green
Is that last picture of a tree?? With pink blossoms?? Is it a dogwood???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary