Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:40 AM

50 posts, read 140,183 times

Advertisements

I was downtown yesterday with my wife and baby girl. I don't think I am going back any time soon. They need to do something about all the homeless people and vagrants. We were at the kids' museum across from Cafe Luna and I afterwards I suggested we walk through the park. Bad idea. There were shady looking folks wandering around talking to themselves all over the place. It was like that last time I was down there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 AM

551 posts, read 2,287,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecha51 View Post
I was downtown yesterday with my wife and baby girl. I don't think I am going back any time soon. They need to do something about all the homeless people and vagrants. We were at the kids' museum across from Cafe Luna and I afterwards I suggested we walk through the park. Bad idea. There were shady looking folks wandering around talking to themselves all over the place. It was like that last time I was down there too.

This just hits a raw nerve with me. I mean, OMG, you saw HOMELESS PEOPLE! Did anyone bother you? Or does it just make you uncomfortable? I'm willing to bet they're more uncomfortable than you.

And who, exactly, is the 'THEY' that need do so something about the homeless people and vagrants? What are you doing to help?

Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,194,078 times
And I agree--who is the "they" that should be doing somethiing about the homeless, and what exactly needs to be done? Find them homes? find them jobs? Feed them?

About downtown, I think what we really need is a pedestrian mall--Fayetteville Street would be great if you closed it off to traffic!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-08-2009 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: referring post has been deleted

Old 02-08-2009, 12:15 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Panhandlers yes, I can see that as a legit 'nuisance" and I always try to ignore and/or avoid pandhandlers when I see them up ahead; but you can't just write off a whole area because homeless people are there if they aren't bothering you. Are they supposed to make themselves invisible? Yeah many of them are probably drunks or junkies but many are probably people who are just down on their luck and unemployed (especially these days).

It is kind of disturbing how much our society has the ability to "dehumanize" people.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:05 PM

446 posts, read 1,394,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky View Post
This just hits a raw nerve with me. I mean, OMG, you saw HOMELESS PEOPLE! Did anyone bother you? Or does it just make you uncomfortable? I'm willing to bet they're more uncomfortable than you.

And who, exactly, is the 'THEY' that need do so something about the homeless people and vagrants? What are you doing to help?
If that's your thing, go cozy up with them....have a blast. I agree with the poster.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:10 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,308,348 times
So those of you who think that "something should be done" about the homeless people - what do you suggest? Should we round them up and put them in an enclosed area, like a zoo?

What the bloody &*$! is a person supposed to do when they're homeless?

I'm wondering how many of those who complain that "something should be done" actually bother to try to help solve the problem. Just remember, there but for the grace of God go YOU.

This would be the perfect opportunity to teach your children about compassion and service to your fellow man, rather than teach them to view the homeless with contempt.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:48 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
A free bus service, (trolley size), would be a good addition. It would allow for parking in one spot and then you would be able to travel all around the downtown area. In Austin they have this, (it's called the Armadillo and it is very popular) - it keeps downtown hopping day and night. They have enough of them, that you don't wait very long in one spot and can pretty quickly get back to your original parking area!
I guess a lot of people don't really pay attention to the goings on in our own city. A trolley service is starting soon: City of Raleigh | Downtown Circulator Bus Service Begins Feb. 13 With Kickoff Ceremony (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_411_208_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/news/public/News-PubAff-Downtown_Circulator_Bus_-20090205-12563297.html - broken link). It isn't the Armadillo yet, but it's a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I don't get the whole "downtown revitalization".
Seriously Vicki? I really appreciate most of your posts, but huh? As a realtor I would think you of all people should have the ability to "get" downtown revitalization. In case you haven't noticed, it's happening all over the country, not just here in precious suburban Raleigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecha51 View Post
I guess some of us on this forum have never ventured out of suburbia before into a real city. I have to feel bad for people who live such sheltered lives.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:52 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times
It's a simple solution for us. We choose to live where there are not homeless people walking all around, where there are not gang bangers on every corner and where we don't see crack houses. We choose to live where we are comfortable, yet we are still able to do things to help the less fortunate in the world. You can do both.

If you want more people to feel comfortable about living downtown, then you need to make it more comfortable for people. That's why it is dead there. No one wants to be there. Something needs to change and no, we can't make every single person happy over it. That's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I guess some of us on this forum have never ventured out of suburbia before into a real city. I have to feel bad for people who live such sheltered lives.
Why do city people think we are missing something if we don't like or don't feel comfortable with places that have higher crime levels or more questionable people? Life is short, so maybe we are just putting ourselves in a position to enjoy the finer things in life and avoid some of the nastier things.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:40 PM

50 posts, read 140,183 times
First off, I love how you enlightened ones counter my perceived sweeping generalization with a sweeping generalization about me--someone you don't know the first thing about. A suggestion: open the dictionary to the word "hypocrite" and commence reading.

Secondly, I don't know what happy fuzzy world you live in, but for your info I lived in and around New York City for over 30 years before moving south, and the suggestion that all homeless people are misunderstood teddy bears is a joke. I have been shot at in the South Bronx, I've seen homeless people push folks onto the subway tracks, I've seen more attacks of a verbal and physical nature than I care to. My wife is from a rough area in Queens and has her own stories. Again, forgive us for being protective of our infant in a questionable environment.

I never said all homeless were mentally deranged. But I did mention that the ones walking directly up to us were talking to themselves. Maybe you should stop singing Kumbaya for a minute and think about what this might signify. If you said mental issues you get a gold star.

I am not going to get into a pissing contest or justify trying to keep my family safe. But I'll leave you with this: I am the person you want spending money downtown. I have a lovely home with an acre of land outside of Raleigh. I have no pressing need to help the city of Raleigh out. I also have a good bit of disposable income. I don't care a lick what you think of me. But I can tell you that until conditions improve downtown, my family won't spend a dime down there.

You can now continue with We Are The World: City Data Edition.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:17 PM

425 posts, read 1,257,264 times
[quote=miamiblue;7378527]I guess a lot of people don't really pay attention to the goings on in our own city. A trolley service is starting soon: City of Raleigh | Downtown Circulator Bus Service Begins Feb. 13 With Kickoff Ceremony (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_411_208_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/news/public/News-PubAff-Downtown_Circulator_Bus_-20090205-12563297.html - broken link). It isn't the Armadillo yet, but it's a start.

Great news! I hadn't heard about this. Thanks for sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary