Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 10:40 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,654,067 times

Advertisements

I noticed that the stores near High House are not that busy. I really don't know how Lowes can support a location at Cornerstone and Preston Corners. The Kroger on 55/High House closed just a few months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 11:29 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igolfchip View Post
I moved here from Austin about a year ago and was amazed at a few things related to grocery stores:

1) # of big chains: Harris Teeter, Kroger's, Lowe's, Food Lion are all strong players here. In texas we had one big player (HEB) and two smaller (Albertson's and [SIZE=3]Tom Thumb)[/SIZE]

2) # of stores: Here in cary (high house area) there are so many stores and most of the time they are really, really empty considering the amount of perishables.

3) PRICES!: Yes, I know that food prices spiked due to oil, but many staples have not gone back down to their pre-oil prices (Milk for instance).

So, with the economy having its issues wondering what you think will happen to the grocery store business?

My guess? Grocery store closings and hopefully more price competition. For instance, Harris Teeter is almost as crazy expensive as Whole Foods and IMHO neither warrrant that amount of $.
I wouldn't be surprised if Food Lion goes under - but then again they are the only store in many rural communities.. so who knows?
I say this b/c their prices are AWFUL... considering they were once considered the "low price leader."

Old 02-08-2009, 11:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I doubt that considering Food Lion is the main chain in most small towns it is North Carolina base and carries alot of NC produce. Same for Harris Teeter it North Carolina base it not going no where. They may cut back on their out of state stores similar how Winn Dixie did. People shop these stores because they have a reason. Food Lion has been around for a long time it use to be called Food Town

Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 AM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I doubt that considering Food Lion is the main chain in most small towns it is North Carolina base and carries alot of NC produce. Same for Harris Teeter it North Carolina base it not going no where. They may cut back on their out of state stores similar how Winn Dixie did. People shop these stores because they have a reason. Food Lion has been around for a long time it use to be called Food Town
It's always been intriguing, the perception that many have on the Food Lion chain. Harris Teeter definitely appeals and markets to certain crowds, but there is a place for both chains and as you said, Food Lion isn't going anywhere.

For the record, it seems to me that Kroger was on a decline years before this current recession.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:10 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,830,309 times
I would say that our area is already in the middle of a grocery store shakeout. When all is said and done, I expect Wal-Mart, Harris Teeter, and Food Lion to wind up as the only major players in the market.

Near High House, didn't the Kroger on Hwy 55 already close? I think the one-two-three punches of HT at McCrimmon/Davis and Cornerstone/High House opening in the past 3 years plus all the terrible construction traffic on Davis killed it. Actually Kroger kind of seems to be pulling out of the Triangle market, or at least Cary. There used to be a store at Maynard/Kildare Farm but that closed too.

Lowe's Foods at Buck Jones/Walnut also closed.

I would say that the stores near High House were built in anticipation of the huge new subdivisions planned in West Cary. Development did get started out there - but it slowed or stalled due the economy, so now as of 2008 the market is overbuilt with enormous high end grocery stores compared with how many residents there are. That area was definitely due for a shakeout, and the Kroger is probably just the first. Will one of the Lowe's Foods be next?

Old 02-08-2009, 12:22 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
For the record, it seems to me that Kroger was on a decline years before this current recession.
I think you are right. If I'm not mistaken the only Krogers in NC are in the Triangle. The ones in the Triad and Charlotte area closed years ago.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:28 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
We have four harris Teeter stores within about 3 miles of our home. I go to two of them on a fairly regular basis and they are almost always slow. I was wondering the same thing, if they will all stay open. I predict 2 of them will close.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:53 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times
It took me awhile to realize that all Harris Teeters are not created equal. They really vary in size and quality. The new one on Tryon Road is fabulous, and some are not much better than your garden variety Food Lion.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:36 PM

766 posts, read 1,657,718 times
I have noticed a lot more sales lately. Harris Teeter does way more triple coupon sales than they used to. I was really surprised when they opened up a new one down the street in 2008. They still have the old one open less than a mile down the road.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:39 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

H-T is opening up a two story store at North Hills East later this year. Not sure what the plans are for the existing NH Teeter, but it would be a great spot for a Fresh Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary