Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2007, 02:31 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are thinking about adding an enclosed porch to our house. Can any of you nice, helpful people recommend a builder/handyman? We've had 1 estimate of $14,000 for a 12 by 12 porch (includes a new deck since our's isn't in the greatest shape). Seems high to me, but what do I know... Thanks for any info. you can provide !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 03:54 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I have had good experiences with:

Palmer Construction of NC, Inc.
David Palmer
7508 Clayshant Ct.
Wake Forest, 27587
Phone: 919-570-9517
Fax: 919-556-4799

Excellent work, very good prices.

Leigh

Old 03-15-2007, 05:27 PM

12 posts, read 58,074 times
I just got my 4th and final estimate for a 12 x 14 screened porch. I also need the deck built first, there is only lawn there now. Two different porch companies - Champion and Porch Enclosures gave estimates for 12 x 12 alumininum (kit) porches and each was around 16,000.

The G.C. I decided on is building 12 x 14 wood screen porch and deck, with shed roof finished with roof shingles for under 10,000. He has been very professional and has all the proper creditials. He's been a builder for 30 years.

I just got permit today, so building "should" start next week. I will be happy to let you know the result when it's finished.

Good Luck

Old 07-23-2007, 09:10 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Default Porch Updates Anyone?

I'm reviving this topic to see if others have recommendation for screened in porch builders. And any of you who have added them on, is there any info you wished you knew before the project began?

I think Lizardlips mentioned she was thinking of adding a SP. Liz, how's that going for you?

Also, any recommendations for a size. 12X12 sounds a tad on the small side. Ideally would like to have a table w/ chairs and a sitting area.

We currently have a deck that is 12 X 10ish and it's in good shape... 2 years old. Do they remove that and start all over? Or does it just depend?

I'm looking forward to enjoying the lighten bugs and crickets at night without getting eatten alive by the bugs.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
I'm reviving this topic to see if others have recommendation for screened in porch builders. And any of you who have added them on, is there any info you wished you knew before the project began?

I think Lizardlips mentioned she was thinking of adding a SP. Liz, how's that going for you?

Also, any recommendations for a size. 12X12 sounds a tad on the small side. Ideally would like to have a table w/ chairs and a sitting area.

We currently have a deck that is 12 X 10ish and it's in good shape... 2 years old. Do they remove that and start all over? Or does it just depend?

I'm looking forward to enjoying the lighten bugs and crickets at night without getting eatten alive by the bugs.

It depends. Much of the deck may be usable, and you may need additional structure.

The deck is probably not built so it will support a roof load.
The footers may not be large enough.
Or it may have a cantilever that is not adequate to carry the roof load to the footers.

So...it depends.

So...it depends.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:28 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Are you talking about a screened porch or an actual enclosed room? We had our porch turned into a sunroom with all around screens by Champion, and we really enjoyed them. In fact, my husband accidentally shattered a pane in the sunroom while mowing the yard ( a big rock flew up and hit the glass) and they replaced it free of charge.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:27 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Are you talking about a screened porch or an actual enclosed room? We had our porch turned into a sunroom with all around screens by Champion, and we really enjoyed them. In fact, my husband accidentally shattered a pane in the sunroom while mowing the yard ( a big rock flew up and hit the glass) and they replaced it free of charge.
We want to add a screened in porch to the back of our house where a 12 X 10 deck currently sits. I don't think we'll go the sunroom route. I'm really more of a porch person.

Mike, thanks for the info. By now I should know the answer w/ building is "It depends".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary