Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:07 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
For the love of all that is good and holy, Charlton Dude/Exit MA Now, shorten the location in your profile. It's messing with the width of your posts, and some of us can't read your posts without scrolling back and forth. Or maybe it's a sign from above to just skip them.
haha

Old 02-10-2009, 05:14 AM

451 posts, read 1,654,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
For the love of all that is good and holy, Charlton Dude/Exit MA Now, shorten the location in your profile. It's messing with the width of your posts, and some of us can't read your posts without scrolling back and forth. Or maybe it's a sign from above to just skip them.
Thanks for shortening the location, Charlton Dude. Posts read fine now.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:00 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Yeah, all the ITP folks are so hip and diverse, I mean, who else still uses the term "oriental"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .-. View Post
I visit the many Cary parks so touted about in your appends. Rarely do I see a black person. I seen what must have been one day a large number of kids I presume from some neighboring school running at Bond park. There were a few oriental, but I didn't catch a single black person. I'll be the very first this isn't at all scientific ... but as the saying goes "seeing is believing"

Old 02-10-2009, 07:37 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The funniest thing is that I (the "short" one to whom he refers) am 6'3"
Watch it bubba! I'm 5 feet tall and the "best things come in small packages"!!!

Vicki

Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 AM

447 posts, read 1,718,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Yeah, all the ITP folks are so hip and diverse, I mean, who else still uses the term "oriental"?
Whats ITP?

I am actually in the process of trying to figure out if Oriental is derogatory, I was in Vegas last week and part of the City Center Project is Mandarin Oriental Hotel. There is also Oriental Trading company. As far as I can tell so far it is not a derogatory term, but it is outdated.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:05 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
I am actually in the process of trying to figure out if Oriental is derogatory, I was in Vegas last week and part of the City Center Project is Mandarin Oriental Hotel. There is also Oriental Trading company. As far as I can tell so far it is not a derogatory term, but it is outdated.
I believe it's considered derogatory when referring to a PERSON, but not to a THING (Oriental rug, etc).

Old 02-10-2009, 08:13 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I believe it's considered derogatory when referring to a PERSON, but not to a THING (Oriental rug, etc).
Yes, this was the lesson my Taiwanese friend gave me when I first met him! Oriental vases and rugs are fine; the people are Asians.

I didn't read this whole thread but see many people referring to ethnicity, race and nationality. Those are not the only traits that "diversity" encompasses. It also includes age, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, disabilities, cultural mores, etc. I know, I just took the diversity training for work!

My life is enriched by being surrounded by different types of people. A homogenous society would not afford me the opportunities to learn nearly as much about my world as a diverse one does.

Last edited by miamiblue; 02-10-2009 at 08:21 AM..

Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 AM

447 posts, read 1,718,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Yes, this was the lesson my Taiwanese friend gave me when I first met him! Oriental vases and rugs are fine; the people are Asians.

I didn't read this whole thread but see many people referring to ethnicity, race and nationality. Those are not the only traits that "diversity" encompasses. It also includes age, gender, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, disabilities, cultural mores, etc. I know, I just took the diversity training for work!

My life is enriched by being surrounded by different types of people. A homogenous society would not afford me the opportunities to learn nearly as much about my world as a diverse one does.
Cool beans, that is the info I was looking for. I use Asian but Oriental had been popping up so much lately I was starting to wonder.

And yes, most people in the forum brought up that diversity covers more than race. It was promptly ignored for some reason.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
I think the term takes on certain assumed connotation depending where you live. Not to say diversity doesn't encompass all those things, of course it does. But, for example, if someone asks about diversity in RTP, my experience has been they usually mean race and nationality. They're not really wondering if everyone is too old, or if there are too many men, etc. Particularly given the history of the South, I think they are asking how race and culture work in this part of the South today (usually. I'm sure there are exceptions). Oh, and political views diversity. There are a number of questions I've seen asked on that as well.

Now, if you go to the Utah forum and look at all the questions referring to diversity, you'll see what they usually mean is religion. Is this area all LDS (Mormon) or not? Again, b/c of the history of Utah, this is what concerns many it seems.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 AM

161 posts, read 602,299 times
Yes, what constitutes diversity depends on the context. For example, the Triangle City-data forum is very diverse: We have urbanites, suburbanites, liberals, conservatives, moderates, libertarians, short posters, long posters,

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-11-2009 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary