Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:23 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I end up living where I do because of what I want in a home and location.
I think all the people you are referring to in your original post, who are looking for diversity, would tend to agree with you here. If this is how you really feel, and that it applies to everyone (not just you), then this thread is completely pointless. Why are you questioning their wish lists?

Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 AM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times
I think the use of the word "diversity" is way more of a Southern thing because in my area (North East) people are a lot more direct. If a black person (or should I have said "diverse person") is looking for a home is a predominately black neighborhood, they will say just that. If they want a mix, they will look in a city. My girlfriend is Jamaican and she told me she picked her neighborhood because she wanted her daughter to have some black friends to play with (not just white). When I read diverse on here, people are predominately insinuating black, asian, hispanic, white (at least to me they are). My parents are Italian and when they looked to downsize, they looked in the Bronx at a predominately Italian neighborhood because they wanted to be around people with common heritage and upbringing. Why is that always so offensive to people? Sometime people just want to live around people they feel are "like them". I know people on here will fight me on my comments.
Sorry folks, just talking straight without all the fuffy nice words like "diverse".

Old 02-11-2009, 08:50 AM

460 posts, read 1,274,385 times
It's not a Southern thing. Many of the threads speaking of this are started by people from somewhere else looking for places to live...
and maybe you should have talked "straighter" and said your parents want to live in a segregated area...not the fluffiness of 'common heritage and upbringing'

Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
I think the fact that when the word "diversity" comes up and so many peoples' minds immediately zero in on just race says a lot...

Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
I think the use of the word "diversity" is way more of a Southern thing because in my area (North East) people are a lot more direct. If a black person (or should I have said "diverse person") is looking for a home is a predominately black neighborhood, they will say just that. If they want a mix, they will look in a city. My girlfriend is Jamaican and she told me she picked her neighborhood because she wanted her daughter to have some black friends to play with (not just white). When I read diverse on here, people are predominately insinuating black, asian, hispanic, white (at least to me they are). My parents are Italian and when they looked to downsize, they looked in the Bronx at a predominately Italian neighborhood because they wanted to be around people with common heritage and upbringing. Why is that always so offensive to people? Sometime people just want to live around people they feel are "like them". I know people on here will fight me on my comments.
Sorry folks, just talking straight without all the fuffy nice words like "diverse".
I agree with you 100%. My parents are from the Bronx and always grouped neighborhoods by ethnic makeup.

However, the problems stem from wanting a certain neighborhood to being racist against certain ethnic groups. I wish it weren't so. As the old saying goes "it only takes one apple to spoil the barrel".

Most of our laws are written because someone broke them. Mickie Dees had to put "coffee is hot" on their cups because some idiot spilled coffee on himself and sued them.

Q Tips have wording on their package that you are not to insert them into any areas of your body. I'm afraid to know why!

As a Realtor, FAIR HOUSING prevents me from even discussing this with my clients. In some ways, I find it hinders me. But, it is THE LAW. LEGALLY, I cannot discuss "country of origin". However, it doesn't prevent me from picking on my New York clients because I AM allowed to discuss STATE of origin!!!

The law is there because someone was hurt by the absense of it. So we obey the law.

Vicki

Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
in my area (North East) people are a lot more direct. If a black person (or should I have said "diverse person") is looking for a home is a predominately black neighborhood, they will say just that.
But actually, I think it is illegal to "just say that"--despite the fact that it is quite evident by seeing the residents, whether it's a "black neighborhood" or not. As Vicki says, even if they WANT that kind of demographic, real estate agents aren't allowed to play to it...which seems silly to me.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:25 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Quote:
It's not a Southern thing. You're talking about people who want to be around people "like them." Many people on here asking about diversity are white but would like to be, or would like their children to be, in an area where there are people who are NOT "like them" around. They want their kids to have exposure to different religions, races, nationalities, etc. They want their kids to be raised where being gay is accepted, etc. If you look around the U.S., most of it is not like this. Most of it is segregated, whether intentionally or not.

You also say "if they want a mix, they move to a city." Well this is not NYC, hence the reason people are asking.

I, for one, definitely wanted diversity. I wasn't looking to find people "like me", I was looking to find people of many different backgrounds, from many places, with different experiences than I have.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:26 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
I think the fact that when the word "diversity" comes up and so many peoples' minds immediately zero in on just race says a lot...
I agree. It says that most of the country is not "past" race. White people might think it is, but many who are not white would disagree. Particularly in the South, I think it's a very reasonable place to focus when moving into the area.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:21 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
My 02¢. I also disagree that the use of "diversity" is more of a southern thing. People do come to these boards and ask where the ______ neighborhood or area is. As said upthread most of the "Is there diversity?" posts come from people in the northeast or midwest.

There was a similar thread on the Charlotte board last summer. One poster wrote - "Having grown up in North Jersey, diversity is just the "politically correct" term for "how integrated the area is"........"Many newcomers will fear an area that is "diverse", thinking (relative to where they came from) that future property values might decrease, and many minorities fear that they will be the "only one" in their neighborhood."

I think these post sum up how things can be different here compared to other parts of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains
It's like Em and Ani said above "Charlotte is much more successfully integrated than most of the Northeast." We just don't think like you guys up north apparently do (about race and living in the same areas) down here because we are so used to living in mixed neighborhoods. Most of our neighborhoods are truly only segregated by the color green. For 20 years I have had Indian neighbors, Philipino neighbors, black neighbors, white neighbors, Mexican neighbors - you name it. We just don't care about our neighbors races here - it does NOT devalue our property to live in a mixed race neighborhood like I guess it does in the neighborhoods of other cities up north. Here we want our neighbors to be of like VALUES, no necessarily like colors . We want them to care about the community, keep their yard neat, volunteer at the local schools, BE good neighbors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
As usual, you all are wonderful to post the info and clear up my perplexity. It appears there are a lot of reasons to ask that question.

Call me naive but I just assumed everyone is exposed to many different types of people (and lifestyles) no matter where they live. We have people from all over the country in my neighborhood - and different ethnicities and sexual orientations, as well. I go to the stores and I see all types of people - different socio-economic strata as well as ethnicities . . . we are all just doing our thing - some people are more friendly than others . . . seems to have nothing to do w/ ethnicity as to how friendly people are . . . we are all just people, LOL! So I guess the question is somehow lost on me.

I was raised in the South and as a child, I was confused as to why people were "concerned" that their "neighborhood values" might tank b/c black folk might move in. Never made much sense to me as a child and sure didn't make any sense to me as an adult. I was relieved when such discussions dissipated and people seemed to figure out we are all just human beings here, regardless of ethnicity.

So now it seems people ask about diversity and I am so taken back - I thought the whole point of integration was to get past people thinking about - or even concerning themselves with - ethnicity. I thought we were now two generations past those kinds of discussions. I know that some people are into "voluntary" segregation . . . and I totally get that. I can imagine if I moved to Germany, I would perhaps want to find other Ex-Pat Americans to hang with or live near.

I guess I just never have had to think much about this as an adult, b/c I have always had people of different backgrounds and ethnicities around me . . . and it was not something to be addressed. We worked together as well as socialized as couples, individuals, and parents w/ kids in school - different backgrounds and ethnicities . . . so I guess I am surprised that people are so concerned with this.
Overall, I think that many if not all of the observations made can apply to the Triangle as well. I apologize if I am off base about "diversity" in the Triangle.

Questions about diverse neighborhoods: what is the point?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:47 PM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
It's not a Southern thing. Many of the threads speaking of this are started by people from somewhere else looking for places to live...
and maybe you should have talked "straighter" and said your parents want to live in a segregated area...not the fluffiness of 'common heritage and upbringing'
I knew directness would not sit well with the folks on here. Hey, I want to live in a neighborhood with mostly parents with small children since I have a small child. Is that segregation? If so, what is wrong with it? And I guess you have a problem with my friend who wanted to be in a family neighborhood with other black families. Well, guess what - you won't win this battle. It is in most people's human nature to gravitate to like people. I am just being honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary