Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:42 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
People always ask about things that are important to them. IMO, It appears that people making the "Is there diversity" posts are either

A) seeking diversity and fear that NC is very segregated and/or unwelcoming to different cultures or races.

B) Wanting a non diverse area because of their personal preferences.

Both are looking for a clearer picture of the area. People like the OP, who don't have those concerns, aren't going to ask about diversity.
This is probably the most realistic answer.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:00 PM

122 posts, read 210,039 times
I read the original blog and just wanted to post because this issue comes up a lot where I live. I live in NOVA near Wash DC where there is every color, religion, language, and nationality. I grew up here and have many friends of many different races. I look at the person inside not their color. Those people that want to be friends with someone because they look different are racist in the opposite way.

Just because you grew up in an area that was 90% white and not very educated doesn't mean that living with different races will make things any better. A lot of cultures coming in here are much much less educated than the uneducated white folk you are describing. I am personally tired of living in cultural diversity since I cannot communicate with a third of the people that walk into my office. And if they bring translators (which is 50 % of the time) do not speak English well either. I want to live around people that are similar to me regardless of their race because I take pride in my own American culture and don't want that to be washed out by other invading cultures. I am so tired of meeting people especially men who want this multicultural backwash. Leave these wonderful truly American cities like Raleigh alone. And travel a lot if you want to experience culture!

Old 02-15-2009, 02:16 PM

28 posts, read 136,779 times
I guess I'm one of those men who appreciate what you call "multicultural backwash."

Old 02-15-2009, 03:45 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesheal View Post
I guess I'm one of those men who appreciate what you call "multicultural backwash."
Nice to meet you! I am proud to be considered Multicultural Backwash myself!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:10 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
I read the original blog and just wanted to post because this issue comes up a lot where I live. I live in NOVA near Wash DC where there is every color, religion, language, and nationality. I grew up here and have many friends of many different races. I look at the person inside not their color. Those people that want to be friends with someone because they look different are racist in the opposite way.

Just because you grew up in an area that was 90% white and not very educated doesn't mean that living with different races will make things any better. A lot of cultures coming in here are much much less educated than the uneducated white folk you are describing. I am personally tired of living in cultural diversity since I cannot communicate with a third of the people that walk into my office. And if they bring translators (which is 50 % of the time) do not speak English well either. I want to live around people that are similar to me regardless of their race because I take pride in my own American culture and don't want that to be washed out by other invading cultures. I am so tired of meeting people especially men who want this multicultural backwash. Leave these wonderful truly American cities like Raleigh alone. And travel a lot if you want to experience culture!
That was refreshing as hell. Nice to meet you!

As with anything else, it's a question of degree. Sadly, we have shifted from going overboard in one direction to going overboard in the others ie from not being accepting enough to overly so, often due to some guilt trip from the earlier times (as if 2 wrongs make a right ). Both extremes are idiotic, really.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:31 PM

129 posts, read 671,218 times
interesting post....curious statement from previous poster..she does not want to be washed out by other invading cultures....if you are sure of who you are and your culure, you would have no fear of being "washed out." my family came to America when I was 7, grew up in NY, and was made to feel proud of our ancestry while embracing our new life in America..I love the customs taught to me by my family, but also love having being raised as an American. I would feel like a stranger in the country my parents came from. Why is it that here in America we are so fearful of other cultures? why are we so hung up about learning other languages, when in other countries people learn 2 -3 languages by the time they graduate college. This is ridiculous. Also, many people say they are okay with others of diverse background as long as they are kept at a distance ( wave hello, work with them) but how many will have these same people of diverse background in their homes for dinner? or welcomed into their families if their kids were to date them? then diversity takes on a different meaning, doesn't it?
the only thing we can tell by looking at someone who is different from us is that they are different, we do not know anything else about that person..skin color alone or on its own is not a good indicator as to who that person is , what race they are from etc..it takes getting to know that person and this can only happen if we are truly open to accepting others and being comfortable with who we are. I personally do not have any problem with people who are racist, or who are not comfortable with other races, it is their problem , not mine. Whether they accept it or not, America is already diverse.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:01 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,834 times
Couldn't help but notice that way too many of these diversity posters are new with one or two posts only. Never to be seen again. Their is also a telling lack of individuality in content and style. I would expect much more variety in such a intellegent creative and diverse group. Could lead a person to think that they were all written by the same person or small group of ax grinders trying to keep the race pot boiling. Really, who are you?

ax grinding pot boilers - I apologise for that

Old 03-03-2009, 01:52 PM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times
I find that more judgement is made on how someone carries themselves/dresses/speaks than the color of their skin. And people I know that I consider racist (to some degree) do have friends of color. Color seems to fade when you get to know someone that is a decent human being.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:14 AM

20 posts, read 43,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlagirl25 View Post
"Truly American" cities? "Invading cultures"?

Wow.

If nothing else, at least you now realize how Native Americans felt when white Europeans (such as yourself) *invaded* THEIR land!

Diversity is not going away.
Learn Spanish.
Deal with it.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:02 AM

519 posts, read 982,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoFille View Post
"Truly American" cities? "Invading cultures"?

Wow.

If nothing else, at least you now realize how Native Americans felt when white Europeans (such as yourself) *invaded* THEIR land!

Diversity is not going away.
Learn Spanish.
Deal with it.
Learn Spanish? I am all for diversity, but that would be like telling the Native Americans to deal with it and learn English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary