Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 08:32 PM

150 posts, read 506,936 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My mom is visiting and loves to cook. She is very interested in finding a place to purchase a book(s) on local (local to NC or even this part of NC) meat rubs and sauces. Since we are so new to the area, we are not familiar with where to start looking. I would greatly appreciate any insight ya'll can provide.

Thanks so much,
Christinabean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 09:52 PM

415 posts, read 1,110,206 times
Get thee to A Southern Season immediately! Lots of local stuff, including (I would imagine) cookbooks and the like.

It is a really cool store in general and can double as an interesting outing :-)

It's in Chapel Hill (very close to I-40) and they're open until 7 p.m. every day but Sunday, when they close at 6 p.m. They even have a restaurant and wine bar inside. Believe me - you could spend a couple of hours wandering around in there - much more if your mom loves to cook!

Jenny_B

Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Downtown Raleigh is the NC Museum of History. The museum store is loaded with all type of NC products, including sauces, cookbooks, etc.

I'm not much on visiting museums over and over again but I sure love their store!!!

Their website is www.ncmusuemofhistory.org.

Vicki

Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
The Rusty Bucket (website) in downtown Apex carries a few things including Pepper Dog Salsa made in Apex (website), and Southern Twang grilling sauce made in Raleigh (website). The grilling sauce is especially good!

edit: I just reread the OP and saw you were asking about books and not the sauces themselves.. so I fail at reading comprehension!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:04 PM

150 posts, read 506,936 times
Thank you to each of you!

Jenny-I went briefly to A Southern Season with a friend last year and didn't get enough time to appreciate everything-Doh! I can't believe I forgot about A Southern Season! Tomorrow we are heading out there first thing then.

Vicki-what a great idea! I love that museum, and I remember my mom loved the store as well on her last visit-as well as the whole downtown area, which is fun to walk around. Excellent- not only will we achieve our goal, but we will enjoy the area for the afternoon.

adlnc07-thank you for your suggestions- this is perfect as well. She is interested in books, but also in getting the sauces to try out something local-plus the more we try, the more we will feel at home here-so thank you for your great suggestions! We'll keep ya' posted!

Thank you so much!!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:19 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
The Farmer's Market has some local cook books as well.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:51 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Is Simple Pleasures still in Raleigh? It is(was?) very similar to Southern Season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary