U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 06:42 AM

3,901 posts, read 5,075,520 times

Advertisements

Holy Smokes!

There are no openings other than a handful of Teacher and Teaching Assistant positions. What a change from just a few months ago! I can remember when every category of job classifications would fill the computer screen with current open positions.

More evidence of the severity of the economic situation.

The District must be watching every cent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 06:46 AM

9,042 posts, read 12,364,785 times
Good for Wake County! The growth is slowing to a crawl, so they should watch their pennies. Hopefully, this will mean fewer tax increases and fewer people leaving as a result.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:50 AM

502 posts, read 1,665,642 times
I just heard on the radio yesterday that they had a hiring freeze on everything but critical vacant teaching positions, until the dust settled on how much aid they will get from the federal government.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 AM

8,269 posts, read 23,959,342 times
They started a hiring freeze last week which runs through June.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:21 AM

2,835 posts, read 6,979,391 times
IMO its just temporary, new schools are coming on line this fall like the New Heritage High School so unless the WCPSS Administration and School Board members are going back into teaching they will need to hire. The Federal Stimulus package will pump Billions of dollars into school systems around the country so NC will get its fair share of that free money.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 AM

20,056 posts, read 17,322,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
IMO its just temporary, new schools are coming on line this fall like the New Heritage High School so unless the WCPSS Administration and School Board members are going back into teaching they will need to hire. The Federal Stimulus package will pump Billions of dollars into school systems around the country so NC will get its fair share of that free money.
I don't know about that. I think NC as a whole would only get $1.2 billion of that money, and Wake County itself a very small portion considering the amount of counties in the state, and the school system an even smaller portion. By the time we begin talking about WCPSS, we're talking about a tiny tiny fraction of money.

Also, I think the money will disproportionately go to much more needy areas of the country, like California and Florida who are suffering far worse than the triangle. I think the triangle, being relatively prosperous compared to the rest of the country, will be figuratively "footing the bill" to help out others.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:36 AM

502 posts, read 1,665,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
The Federal Stimulus package will pump Billions of dollars into school systems around the country so NC will get its fair share of that free money.
Yeh... you gotta love that "free money" they are giving out.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:31 PM

2,835 posts, read 6,979,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I don't know about that. I think NC as a whole would only get $1.2 billion of that money, and Wake County itself a very small portion considering the amount of counties in the state, and the school system an even smaller portion. By the time we begin talking about WCPSS, we're talking about a tiny tiny fraction of money.

Also, I think the money will disproportionately go to much more needy areas of the country, like California and Florida who are suffering far worse than the triangle. I think the triangle, being relatively prosperous compared to the rest of the country, will be figuratively "footing the bill" to help out others.
$1.2B out of $800+ Billion. I think Raleigh being the NC State Capital will do OK. I think we will get $1.2B just for being the Capital where the money will come to and get distributed to the other counties. This money is for schools, light bulbs, government new cars, and Alaskan style bridges, we need all of those right here in the triangle!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,737,941 times
Just read a warning report by a very respectable economic professor I have known for years. He said to prepare for 25-30% unemployment by summer 2010. It's real folks! All the printing of fake cash is not going to stop this. It's all over the entire world now. I've been screaming to everyone to prepare, or suffer. Those are your two choices. Locally, you need to get in the frame of mind of networking, get close to your family, talk and plan for how you will cope and deal with this as a team. I don't know when people are going to get it. This mess is real and nothing our government does will stop it.

1. 100,000 people per day are loosing their jobs nationwide.
2. 10% of the country is already at 15% + unemployment
3. China has fired 20% of its professional working class workforce with more to come.
4. 50% of states face bankruptcy this year
5. California won't pay on debt this year and is 77 billion in the hole as we speak.

The game, as YOU know it, is over!

Locally, you best network with family and trustworthy friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>