Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,725,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Well, we do have smart and educated people that live here already believe it or not....they are going to be looked at before your resume even gets opened.

I note that people from other areas are always so surprised that they aren't just welcomed with open arms by employers here...that they must of course be better then locals for some reason.

We have one of the best educated populations in the Nation. Our local universities put out top-notch graduates in many fields.

Your misconceptions (which are many) of the area not withstanding, employment here is competitive and a local address is a huge competitive edge.

Oh, and if you really aren't going to be happy in a place that is different then you are leaving or come to look down your nose at the locals, then do yourself and everyone else a favor and don't come here.
Thanks for quite a truism. While it's not necessarily the case that the OP feels this way, he wouldn't be the first Northener to come in with with an attitude of "Well, here I am, your problems are solved! Lucky for you, you have me instead of having to hire one of those local yokels!" And then they scratch their heads and say "Wow, why won't anybody hire me? I'm everything they need!"

Hmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 07:46 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,382,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momneedsinfo View Post
The people and weather are reason enough to move..compared to CT its like living in a different world, We went (home) to CT for X-mas this year and in such a short time I forgot how miserable the people in CT can be..But I would be to If I was still paying all that money to live in such a miserable state.
As far as getting around.. I am still exploring but there is soooooooo much to see there are so many unique restaurants you just have to be open to trying them. What I love is the restaurants in the area all post there health scores on their walls so you can see how clean they are.
I could go on and on about all of the wonderful things we have experienced since we have been here but I will just say this.. I AM HOME. I wouldn't turn back for anything..Keep in mind I moved here Blind..no friends no family and we have met many people. Also there is endless things to do and the drive isn't nearly as bad as CT.
Great post and this is what we found moving from Massachusetts. People were rude, in a bad mood and always more than willing to stomp on you to get what they want. Here it is completely different. I think it has to do with so many of us starting over in a strange land. Most wouldn't dare come with the attitude of up north. You start over with everything here and assimilate to some extent. I like this much better. Plus there is soooo much more to do here, everything is closer, you do much less driving, the cost of living is a joke compared to up there when you consider "all" aspects and the weather is top notch.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:14 PM

25 posts, read 115,821 times
Default where to rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by momneedsinfo View Post
I moved from Manchester CT in June 2008, So my opinion is based on being a newbie to the area but I will tell you what I think so far...First of all the schools... we are in Wake County raleigh/knightdale area. There is this website that will tell you all about the schools; grades and how well the rate. I used this to decide on our location, you may look at some of the numbers and think they arent great but in reality when you compare to the CT schools they are way better. We love the schools and my kids are thriving.I have kids in Elementary and middle school. The people and weather are reason enough to move..compared to CT its like living in a different world, We went (home) to CT for X-mas this year and in such a short time I forgot how miserable the people in CT can be..But I would be to If I was still paying all that money to live in such a miserable state.
As far as getting around.. I am still exploring but there is soooooooo much to see there are so many unique restaurants you just have to be open to trying them. What I love is the restaurants in the area all post there health scores on their walls so you can see how clean they are.
I could go on and on about all of the wonderful things we have experienced since we have been here but I will just say this.. I AM HOME. I wouldnt turn back for anything..Keep in mind I moved here Blind..no friends no family and we have met many people, we are renting before we buy and our complex is wonderful, Always having a potluck or block/pool party to get the residents to know each other.. Also there is endless things to do and the drive isnt nearly as bad as CT. The Free musuems downtown are amazing, If they were in CT you would pay $20 a piece to get it..

I think anyone can be happy here : )

momneedsinfo

I live in putnam county ny,carmel to be exact.Not to make a long story long but i will be visiting the Raleigh area soon and if i move there i want to rent for some time before i decide to buy.This is the biggest move of my life as i have been born and raised here in NY. I have a 4 1/2 year old little girl that is my world and she is very outgoing and caring.She has no siblings.My wife and i want to find a really nice area to rent before we decide where to buy.Your rental area sounds really wonderful.Could you give me an idea of where to look to rent,your area sounds great for my wife and daughter. It sounds like you have your priorities exactly where i would like mine when i move there.Thankyou in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary