Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 11:45 AM

158 posts, read 471,284 times

Advertisements

My neighborhood is pretty good. Some people I know however think it's amazing that we have more recyclables than trash... If you're recycling correctly I don't think this is special at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 12:10 PM

43,031 posts, read 76,539,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10ACE View Post
In Cary, we only have the small green bins.
I have an old Rubbermaid waste basket that we use when we (I) forget to take the bin to the street and we have excess recycling stuff.
They always take it for me.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:40 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,725,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
I agree! Amount of recycling is a personal choice. Hard to believe sometimes but we still have person rights in this country. We personally recycle everything we can and frankly I let the neighbors personal garbage collection habits up to them. When mandatory recycling of everything is the law than I'm sure most will confirm but you will always have ones that don't/won't. So I would encourage you NOT to stop recycling it is the right thing to do for yourself and all of us. This is an imperfect world so some things take time and generations for change! I am 100% confident that one day we will all be 100% recycling!
In Chapel Hill, at least, it is illegal to have certain items in the trash -- I'm certain that corrugated cardboard is one, there's probably others as well. Other towns have laws that you can't throw aluminum cans in the trash, at least for municipal garbage pickup. So it's not that unusual.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:51 PM

121 posts, read 380,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
I agree! Amount of recycling is a personal choice. Hard to believe sometimes but we still have person rights in this country. We personally recycle everything we can and frankly I let the neighbors personal garbage collection habits up to them.
Actually, recycling for a lot of common refuse items is law.

Recycling of aluminum has been state law in NC since 1994. It will be state law to recycle plastic bottles as of October 1st.

In Durham the ordinance mandates the recycling of steel, aluminum, glass, newspaper, and cardboard. I'm fairly certain that other Triangle cities have similar ordinances.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:53 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,138,591 times
Quote:
I though just plain recycling was to boring so I spiced up the op! I was wrong. I spoke to the truck driver today and he said the bigger the house the smaller the volume of recycling.
Maybe the bigger the house, the more people eat out!

Keep on talking trash!

Vicki

Old 02-13-2009, 01:26 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,797,733 times
Perhaps people don't drink soda or get their news on the internet/tv and don't use a lot of paper/plastic. I recycle a lot, but I know a lot of people especially the youth that just don't care. Just think how much aluminum we'd recycle if the kids at NCSU recycled their bud light cans.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:37 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,120,248 times
Quote:
In Cary, we only have the small green bins.
Actually this spring Cary is going to issue us all big recycling bins (the same size as our trash bins) but is going to start picking up recycling every two weeks instead of every week. BUD (http://www.townofcary.org/depts/pio/bud/bud.htm#Recycling%20Rollout%20Carts%20Are%20Coming - broken link)

Old 02-13-2009, 02:46 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,725,303 times
Yes, I confess to being absolutely obsessive-compulsive about recycling, and unfortunately I live slightly outside the Raleigh limits, so we have to use a private trash/recycling company, one that still doesn't take cardboard/pasteboard/white paper. So, I end up putting that stuff in my trunk and dropping it at a friend's house who is IN the city limits, on his recycling day

But, it does amaze me how lazy people can be...at work, we have bins on most of the halls, and at the end of the day (we have to lock our offices, so people put their trashcans out in the hall for the custodians), I walk through and find half a dozen bottles/cans in trash cans just on ONE hall--that has a recycling bin on it [I take them out of the trash, to recycle, but it annoys me that I have to]! Are folks really too lazy to walk halfway down the hall to recycle (or to keep a box in their office and then dump it once a week into the bin)??

Old 02-13-2009, 03:05 PM

319 posts, read 1,475,594 times
My partner is obsessive about recycling. We have noticed that most of our neighbors can't even close their garbage roll out containers on trash day. I've noticed tons of aluminum cans and plastic containers in their plastic bags. I plan on asking my HOA to remind folks to recycle in their next newsletter. Maybe your HOA can do the same.

I had about twenty of my neighbors over last week for a neighborhood watch meeting. They ALL threw their plastic cups in the trash can. I had to dig them out a rinse them for recycling. It confirmed to me that they just aren't aware of how important it is to recycle.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:15 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,320,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yes, I confess to being absolutely obsessive-compulsive about recycling, and unfortunately I live slightly outside the Raleigh limits, so we have to use a private trash/recycling company, one that still doesn't take cardboard/pasteboard/white paper. So, I end up putting that stuff in my trunk and dropping it at a friend's house who is IN the city limits, on his recycling day

But, it does amaze me how lazy people can be...at work, we have bins on most of the halls, and at the end of the day (we have to lock our offices, so people put their trashcans out in the hall for the custodians), I walk through and find half a dozen bottles/cans in trash cans just on ONE hall--that has a recycling bin on it [I take them out of the trash, to recycle, but it annoys me that I have to]! Are folks really too lazy to walk halfway down the hall to recycle (or to keep a box in their office and then dump it once a week into the bin)??
Francois, to recycle a word the simple answer is 'YES'. IMHO to many people think why recycle when as I'm driving home I can just flip it out the car window or toss it out the window while driving over the Neuse River bridge on Falls of Neuse. I fish around there at times and every once in a while here comes a missile. I guess the challenge is to see if the bottle/can will hit the water, who knows why.....but C'mon please trash your 'cans' and your 'butt's' where they belong! People below Falls Dam use the Neuse River water for drinking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary