U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:21 PM

24 posts, read 138,590 times

Advertisements

So which beach do you locals prefer to go to on a little weekend outing? We have never been to any NC beaches....only Myrtle Beach or further south. We are planning a weekender next weekend. We will spend 2 days in Raleigh driving around scounting out the city, then head to the beach for 2 days. So which one do we want to go to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2006, 06:41 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,688,195 times
Wrightsville beach by wilmington probably.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:50 PM

212 posts, read 1,022,897 times
Topsail is great but Nags Head is my favorite. Just lots of good memories in Nags Head and Kill Devil Hills, and points North and South! A longer drive out hwy 64 but I never seem to mind.

Old 06-22-2006, 06:55 PM

1,539 posts, read 5,303,175 times
I am not a fan of Myrtle Beach. Parts seem very run down and too commercialized. I love the Outer Banks. The Duck and Corrolla area are my favorite. When I go I rent a rather large home in the Pine Island neighborhood right on the beach. If you want to go for the day try Wrightsville Beach. Just astraight shot on 40, and you'll be there in 2 hours. Also not a fan of Carolina Beach. Stay on the Wrightsville side. It is a nice day trip.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:36 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,063,867 times
My favorites are Oak Island and Topsail Island. The Outer Banks are nice, too. I haven't been to Wrightsville Beach, but I hear it's nice. Like Debbie, I don't care much for Carolina Beach.

Have a great time!

Old 06-22-2006, 10:54 PM

787 posts, read 3,441,827 times
Atlantic Beach in Morehead City is nice along with Emerald Ilse, Swan Quarter, Indian Beach to name a few. If you go to Atlantic Beach or the Crystal Coast as they call it, be sure and check out Fort Macon, the old Civil War fort down there. But watch your step. There are places that just drop off a lower level and I am sure that it is far enough to kill someone if you're not careful. The last time I was down there was about 3 years ago and there is no fencing around the perimeter of this place. Also check out the Sanitary Seafood Restaurant. Great seafood. There are all kinds of time shares down there as well. If you go to Beaufort, you can hitch a ride in a small boat to the lighthouse. That is fun as well. And they have an aquarium and an amusement part too. Have fun. From Raleigh you would take 40 East out of town. When you see the Garner/Goldsboro exit to 70 into Clayton, just follow Hwy 70 E until you get to Morehead City. I should about 175 miles perhaps.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:19 AM

56 posts, read 315,110 times
Default U.S.Citizen

Wrightsville Beach is to crowded and hectic for my taste. You also have to pay for parking. Don't get me wrong, Wrightville Beach is very nice. On the other hand Oak Island has 56 or 58 beach accesses with free parking at almost all accesses and, plenty of space to put your blanket. Historic Southport close by for a evening stroll and some good food. Best thing of all.
Laid back.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:48 AM

24 posts, read 138,590 times
Thanks for the responses! I guess for our short trip we will go to Wrightsville since it seems to be the closest. We actually like the crowdedness of Myrtle Beach, so I am sure Wrightsville will be fine with us! I am also looking forward to visiting Outer Banks soon too!

Old 06-23-2006, 05:49 AM

291 posts, read 1,709,614 times
I have heard people say wrightsville is crowded but I have never experienced that. It is beautiful.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:04 AM

56 posts, read 315,110 times
Default U.S.Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by salatheel
I have heard people say wrightsville is crowded but I have never experienced that. It is beautiful.
You have to go to each to compare. That was my opinion after living on
both. There is without doubt, a difference between them. Both ARE beautiful.

Carebear3030, if you like Myrtle Beach, then you might be alittle disappointed
if you are looking for all the "tourist attractions" that you found in MB.
Neither Wrightsville or Oak Island or any other beach in the area is like MB,
except for the water, sun and sand. I hope you enjoy your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary