Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:00 AM

305 posts, read 713,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Maybe you missed the parts when I said I like:
  • Fayetteville Street
  • Some of the well maintained McMansions around Five Points
  • The Shops at Oberlin Court
  • North Hills
  • Some of the mature landscaping
I have mentioned lots of things I like about Raleigh, but that "overall" I like Cary much better. I have also mentioned things I do not like about Cary. I do, however, love this great Valentine story at the Cary Starbucks. Happy Valentines day to you and all my wonderful friends here on City Data.
Forever contrary for the sake of being contrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:47 AM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,238 times
Here's a brief version, courtesy of wikipedia.

On February 27, 1992, Stella Liebeck, a 79-year-old woman from Albuquerque, New Mexico, ordered a 49¢ cup of coffee from the drive-through window of a local McDonald's restaurant. Liebeck was in the passenger's seat of her Ford Probe, and her grandson Chris parked the car so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. She placed the coffee cup between her knees and pulled the far side of the lid toward her to remove it. In the process, she spilled the entire cup of coffee on her lap.[7]
Liebeck was wearing cotton sweatpants; they absorbed the coffee and held it against her skin as she sat in the puddle of hot liquid for over 90 seconds, scalding her thighs, buttocks, and groin.[8] Liebeck was taken to the hospital, where it was determined that she had suffered third-degree burns on six percent of her skin and lesser burns over sixteen percent.[9] She remained in the hospital for eight days while she underwent skin grafting. Two years of treatment followed.

Attempts to settle

Liebeck sought to settle with McDonald's for US $20,000 to cover her medical costs, which were $11,000, but the company offered only $800. When McDonald's refused to raise its offer, Liebeck retained Texas attorney Reed Morgan. Morgan filed suit in a New Mexico District Court accusing McDonald's of “gross negligence” for selling coffee that was “unreasonably dangerous” and “defectively manufactured.” McDonald's refused Morgan's offer to settle for $90,000.[4]
Morgan offered to settle for $300,000, and a mediator suggested $225,000 just before trial, but McDonald's refused these final pre-trial attempts to settle.[4]

Old 02-15-2009, 11:18 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,918,786 times
From one extreme to another. Most people now days would have been drowned by attorneys wanting to sue. So this is a breath of fresh air!

However, I still say paying $5, plus tip for a drink that costs .25 cents to make is nuts, but hey, whatever floats your boat. Wife and I purchased a high end Italian Espresso maker 5 years ago. We paid $1000 for it and figure it has paid for itself 8 times over by now. Plus no getting in your car and driving and the drinks we make are superior to Starbucks and the coffee we use is better anyhow. But this is an entirely different story. It only take 5 minutes to learn how to make an latte or any other drink you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary