Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinJudy View Post
do herbs tend to get sold out? so, that it is better to go earlier, rather than later?
I don't know, but I doubt it. This is a pretty big event so unless you are looking for some really hard to find stuff I think you should be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:40 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
I went 3 times last year.
Why? We bought a bunch of things, and the plants were healthy. After planting them, I decided to go back for more... it was convenient, since I live near downtown, and the layout made it easy to find what I needed.
I was pleased to find eucalyptus on the 2nd trip, and that is what sent me back the 3rd time! So, although I thought I had seen everything the first time, there was quite a bit I had missed.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:35 PM

206 posts, read 596,655 times
oh wow I'm going to this. I linked my fiancee to this and she screamed "I want to go to the Duck Parade!"

Old 04-19-2009, 11:38 AM

I just got back from the Herbfest. My wife and I got some great advice from the volunteers on what particular kind of herbs matched our needs. Most of the herbs we were looking at cost $3.50 a pot. Here are a few quick pictures of the Herbfest:

Lone Rider Beer was there too

Old 04-19-2009, 11:44 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
Looks great, NRG! What did you end up getting? Besides beer, I mean.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Looks great, NRG! What did you end up getting? Besides beer, I mean.
Nothing fancy, just some Oregano, Parsley, and Thyme. I didn't realiz there were so many varieties of each. I needed help understanding what each was best used for. I got them in the ground and look forward to seeing them grow all summer long and using them in our recipes.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:41 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I didn't realiz there were so many varieties of each.
NRG, I'm glad you mentioned that there are multiple varieties of things. I mistakenly grew Lemon Thyme (didn't read the fine print) when I really wanted (German?) Thyme.

We drove by Friday afternoon and could not find a place to park so I'm going back during the week and should have better luck. I just hope there's still plenty left to choose from.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:36 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
NRG, what kind of parsley did you get - flat leaf, or curly? The swallowtail butterflies like to lay their eggs on the flat leaf, and you can get some really pretty caterpillars. They'll eat the parsley, but it will come right back. That stuff grows like a weed.

Another herb you just can't kill is chives. I'm on the same plant I bought three years ago, and finally divided it this year. I just leave it out over the winter and ignore it. It dies down, but comes right back in the spring.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:01 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,406 times
Went up there Saturday. Have to say, extremely disappointed. There's nothing there that you can't find elsewhere - just about anywhere. I was hoping to find something different, like some Fino Verde, Serata, or Pistou basil, but to no avail. Oh well, it's cheaper and easier to grow your own from seed.

My disappointment is my own fault, because I had expectations based upon their own website "HerbFest is generally recognized as the largest herb and perennial festival East of the Mississippi providing the largest quantity and diversity of herbs found anywhere" - when in reality there are two vendors at the Raleigh Farmers Market, each with a much more diverse selection, chaper prices, and friendlier staff.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:17 AM

^^

Yeah it was smaller than I expected too. I still enjoyed it but I didn' notice anything you couldn't find at the Farmer's Market. I am just happy to make a purchase from someone other than Home Depot. All in all a good event IMO but I agree the wesbite makes it sound like a bigger deal than it probably really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary