Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,082 times

Advertisements

Hi i need some information for the first time home buyers like the Legal requirements ....as per nc state law...i am married and filing my taxes jointly but i wish to buy the house only with my name on it any help ....My wife is a home maker i am nto sure if this makes any difference...
Appricaite your help ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 05:10 AM

43,275 posts, read 77,073,002 times
You will be able to buy the property and have it deeded only to you.

However, if you later wish to sell the property, you will find that your wife will have to agree to sell since, by law, she will have an interest in the property.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:26 AM

983 posts, read 3,987,327 times
And if you were to drop dead, it will make life MUCH easier on your wife if her name is on the deed.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
And if you later divorce, the fact that her name is not on the deed does not mean the property is not marital property.

Lots of issues at play when it comes to spouses and real property - real estate law, estate law, divorce law. Presumably there's some reason behind your desire to not put your wife's name on the deed. To confirm your objectives and ensure they can be met, it's best to consult with an attorney.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:31 AM

128 posts, read 453,012 times
I'm assuming from the way you framed your question that you want to put your name only on the loan documents, perhaps due to a lower credit rating for your wife? You can do that (or at least you could when we did it) and also have her name on the title, if that is the way you wish to go, too.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:18 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordWrangler View Post
I'm assuming from the way you framed your question that you want to put your name only on the loan documents, perhaps due to a lower credit rating for your wife? You can do that (or at least you could when we did it) and also have her name on the title, if that is the way you wish to go, too.
When I bought my house I used my credit and income to buy the house, but NC state law requires the wife to also be on the deed, or so I was told.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 AM

103 posts, read 414,326 times
NC State law does nto require her to be on the deed or on the loan, but she will have to sign the deed of trust and the note, as she does have a marital interest in the property.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:37 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,044 times
I have a question along the same line. I'm currently single and buying a house. In the state I came from, if I were to get married while I owned my home (that I bought before getting married), I'd have to get my new husband's permission to sell and he'd be entitled to some of the profit. Can anyone tell me the ramifications of buying a house as a single person and getting married before selling?

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2009, 08:51 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,238,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
I have a question along the same line. I'm currently single and buying a house. In the state I came from, if I were to get married while I owned my home (that I bought before getting married), I'd have to get my new husband's permission to sell and he'd be entitled to some of the profit. Can anyone tell me the ramifications of buying a house as a single person and getting married before selling?

Thanks!
It is the same situation in NC.

You can buy while single but once you are married, spouse owns his share. It will require the spouse's signature to sell and spouse would be entitled to his share of the property. If you had a pre nup, that would make things somewhat different but you'd have to get an attorney to explain that.

Vicki

Old 02-17-2009, 09:24 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,044 times
Thanks, Vicki!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary