Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Couple considering moving from Royal Oak Michigan to Durham North Carolina area, seeking location to live; safe area, walkable with shops, clubs, dining, downtown atmosphere

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 04:20 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
CD,

The OP is not asking if surrounding towns are safer.

That seems to be an obsession that you and Scientist27709 have. But I don't believe it was in the OP's list of things they were looking for.

You have made it widely known that you hate cities and you don't want to live in one. Put another way: just what CITY within the Triangle would you suggest they choose to get the amenities they have asked for?

I believe you've said elsewhere that DT Raleigh scared you, all those homeless people and global-warming movies. And you wouldn't live in Chapel Hill, too crazy-liberal for you. And you'd prefer to bulldoze what downtown Cary has.

Let me guess: she could live in a suburban area and drive into a city when she wants, and be safer than June Cleaver in Kevlar. Neat! But also not what she asked for.

BCR, if you spend a little less time ranting against people's opinions that are not the same as yours, you would have seen my post above that suggested the OP try out Chapel Hill. Just because I do not like Chapel Hill, doesn't mean someone else won't. I expertly analyzed the OP's needs and suggest a great place for "them", which is not "my" town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Oh yeah! I walked back to my car four blocks away leaving The Pinhook at 7pm last night. I was so scared to see parking valets outside Revolution, where an entree can be $30! I was afraid some street-wise, street-tough physician or college professor was going to get out of their BMW and cut me or something.

And I knew well enough to stay away from the dangerous teeming crowds coming in to see Anthony Bourdain at the performing arts center!!!

So cleanerjohn, what might you say to someone like me who lives in (right north of) downtown Durham? Am I crazy to live in somewhere DANGEROUS and walk around after dark there?

I think not.
Again on this one. It seems that if anyone has a different point of view or a different comfort level with crime, then they must be wrong or misinformed. It is alright for someone else to have a different opinion ya know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 05:51 PM

25 posts, read 126,906 times
In my opinion Durham like Flint, MI!! I would be careful if I were you. I grew up right near Royal Oak and the only thing I like about Durham is Duke.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:28 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claireabelle View Post
In my opinion Durham like Flint, MI!! I would be careful if I were you. I grew up right near Royal Oak and the only thing I like about Durham is Duke.

Well thankfully that is just your opinion and not fact. Those Flint #'s are quite scary compared to Durham.

Durham had 24 murders last year, Flint had 27. Keep in mind that Durham’s population is almost twice Flint’s.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Flint: http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/CrimeCity.asp?state=MI&city=Flint
Durham: http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/CrimeCity.asp?state=NC&city=Durham8

Flint 3rd most dangerous 2007 http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html
6th 2008 http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/CityCrime2008_Rank_Rev.pdf

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3179442/
"Durham City ranked 22nd for violent crime out of 29 cities nationwide. Raleigh and Mobile, Ala., tied for the lowest violent-crime ranking in cities surveyed"

SillyJKC,
I grew up in Durham (since '88) and have never had a problem with crime or felt scared. I also don’t seek the more dangerous parts out because honestly there is no reason to be in that area (some parts SE of downtown, but that is a generalization). I think most of the rumors you hear are from people who are not familiar with the area and are not use to diverse cities. Durham is great and I hope you have a chance to check it out and see why those of us who live here love it!

By the way, I grew up with a Hillsborough address but very close to the 27712 area. This part of Durham is very quiet, yet convenient to downtown. I grew up off of St. Mary's Rd. which is partially in Durham County and the rest in Orange County. It continues to downtown Hillsborough and is a beautiful road kind of out in the country. I recommend checking out Hillsborough while checking out Durham because it is a great small town and very close to Durham. And of course as others have mentioned there are great walkable neighborhoods in Durham with beautiful homes surrounding downtown.

Good luck to you!

Last edited by Yac; 05-05-2009 at 05:23 AM..

Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 AM

190 posts, read 1,075,423 times
Having spent a LONG time in Michigan and travelling to many areas in the state, I can tell you that I find Durham NOTHING like Flint!!!! Not even remotely! The OP needs to look around at the different areas of the triangle and decide what is best for them.... I spent a few years renting in Raleigh and Wake Forest, and purchased my home less than a year ago in.... Durham. For me, its the best place to live!!! Good luck!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:20 AM

91 posts, read 115,687 times
Exclamation Durham safety

Then u must read this:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ty-durham.html

In my opinion Cary, Morrisville and Chapel Hill are better options. However, different people have different opinions and I respect everybody's right to differ from what I say. Nevetheless, this thread will give u a much better insight. Happy moving, S27709

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyJKC View Post
My husband may be getting a job in Durham and we are completely ignorant about North Carolina. We are not nervous about the move, rather excited about the possibility! We just wonder where would be the right area to live that offers quaint neighborhoods, good schools as we have small children, and a walking district.. a nice downtown area with bars, restaurants and shops that we can stroll, sit outside, have a drink and a bite... summer festivals and art fairs... stuff like that? If anyone is familiar with Royal Oak and can offer us direction on an area similar to that? We would be grateful. We don't want to be far from a downtown. Suburbia is not our "thing" and I know there are plenty of places in North Carolina that will make us happy and we don't mind if he has to drive thirty minutes to work... but not more than that preferably. Is there a downtown area of Durham like that? If so, what area would be suitable for us to live in close to down town? Thank You for any advice you may have!

Jennifer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary