Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:58 PM

39 posts, read 91,148 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I will be moving from San Francisco to Durham this summer. We're expecting our first child in a month, and we plan to put him in daycare starting in or around September (when he's about 6 months old).

I'm starting a postdoctoral research position at Duke, and we're looking to live within a mile or two of campus. Thanks to some very helpful feedback on this board (and from others), we've decided to focus our housing search on Old West Durham, Watts Hillandale, and Trinity Park.

The Duke Children's Campus seems to be a very nice childcare facility, and is very convenient -- but the waitlist is preposterously long, and it's pretty expensive. I'm wondering if anyone knows of other childcare options in the same general neck of the woods -- near Duke's campus or in the aforementioned neighborhoods.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 02:37 PM

635 posts, read 1,616,589 times
I would start your search here: Duke HR - Duke Child Care Partnership

Old 02-18-2009, 02:40 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Asbury Preschool is good and located directly across the street from East Campus in Trinity Heights.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:27 AM

4 posts, read 14,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Asbury Preschool is good and located directly across the street from East Campus in Trinity Heights.
With all due respect, I fail to see in what way Asbury is "good". It's located in a dark, depressing basement. The director is the acting cook for 'a few weeks' because the cook, if you can call what that position does cooking, quit. The staff, all touted as having bachelor's degrees, are there as part of Americorps. None of them, as far as I could tell, are interested in children, but are working off their school loans. While there on one of our several visits in the last few months, I personally witnessed what fell just short of abusive behavior. It wasn't enough to call the authorities, but it was enough to make me realize that I want my child to be in the hands of someone who loves children.

The differences between Duke and Asbury are numerous, obvious, and important. Visit both and you'll immediately understand. My wife and I just got into the Duke infant room after 3 months on the wait list. I suggest you look at Primary Colors, First Presbyterian on Main, Bright Horizons Independence Park, and Duke. Asbury and Duke Nursery and Preschool were very conveniently located for us and less expensive, but I am very grateful we didn't have to put our child in either place.

Ironically, if the original poster had joined the wait list at Duke when this thread was started, they'd have a spot at Duke right now. We joined the list in April and got a spot in July.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:08 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
You mentioned borderline abusive behaviour at Asbury when you were there. Will you please exand on this for me. I have a child there and am disturbed to hear this. A DM with details would certainly be appreciated.

Yes, the cook is out on short-term disability and it is challenging for them at the moment, but Moderator cut: language happens. She does cook when she's there. The menu in her absence has not been typical of their normal menu, which is based on nutritional guidelines and to which they strictly adhere. I cannot say I always endorse their meal choices, however they do strive to serve a balanced menu.

My child's teachers have always taken an interest in him at Asbury. They have worked with us and others in an outreach program to help with some developmental challenges he's had. This is not the sort of thing that folks who don't care take the time to do. They do have one Americorps volunteer who works there, but its certainly not the entire staff as you implied.

Certainly the facilities are old and unimpressive, but they simply lease the space from the church for the preschool's use. I believe the church's membership has been lagging, and donations down, thus there aren't a lot of funds available for facility improvements. Asbury recently received a 4-star rating from the state...not an easy thing to do. The primary reason they did not receive a 5-star is because they don't have sinks in all the classrooms...a facility issue.

FWIW, our child has been at Asbury for a year now and we've been pleased. Is it perfect...no. But we recognize that nowhere is. However I think it is a good preshool and I continue to recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtuttle View Post
With all due respect, I fail to see in what way Asbury is "good". It's located in a dark, depressing basement. The director is the acting cook for 'a few weeks' because the cook, if you can call what that position does cooking, quit. The staff, all touted as having bachelor's degrees, are there as part of Americorps. None of them, as far as I could tell, are interested in children, but are working off their school loans. While there on one of our several visits in the last few months, I personally witnessed what fell just short of abusive behavior. It wasn't enough to call the authorities, but it was enough to make me realize that I want my child to be in the hands of someone who loves children.

The differences between Duke and Asbury are numerous, obvious, and important. Visit both and you'll immediately understand. My wife and I just got into the Duke infant room after 3 months on the wait list. I suggest you look at Primary Colors, First Presbyterian on Main, Bright Horizons Independence Park, and Duke. Asbury and Duke Nursery and Preschool were very conveniently located for us and less expensive, but I am very grateful we didn't have to put our child in either place.

Ironically, if the original poster had joined the wait list at Duke when this thread was started, they'd have a spot at Duke right now. We joined the list in April and got a spot in July.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-24-2009 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Language

Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 AM

4 posts, read 14,919 times
I don't mean to offend you. If I have, I apologize. I can't, in good conscience, pretend to not notice that your message is a string of justifications and excuses for the lousy conditions at Asbury. It's unfortunate that not all day care is of the same quality.

I urge you to visit Primary Colors or Kin or Duke or Bright Horizons Independence Park and compare them to the dark, dingy basement at Asbury. If you think the difference between these and Asbury amounts to a couple of sinks, I suggest that others who read this not take your advice and investigate the other options I've listed.

I found it very enlightening that the director of Asbury, whom I personally found to be likable, is working in the kitchen for a few weeks. I would like to believe that the duties of the director are important. So are those of the 'cook', though the food preparation at Asbury could hardly be called cooking. I assume that each of those roles is suffering while one person does both jobs. I find it comforting to know that if someone is out for weeks at my kid's day care, they'll manage it in a way that doesn't decrease the quality of the center, which I think Asbury's approach does.

Per your question, I saw one of the child care providers at Asbury carry an infant into the infant room and drop him on his face onto the crib mattress from a height of about 24 inches. That day I spent about 30 minutes in the infant room. In that time, there was an infant in a swing facing the wall from about a foot away. That child spent that 30 minutes staring at the wall, not sleeping. Not very stimulating, especially given the darkness of the basement.

I don't mean to pick on Asbury. There are plenty of other low quality care facilities in Durham. For instance, there's Durham Nursery and Preschool.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:39 AM

66 posts, read 143,482 times
I have a 6 month old daughter, and I am probably going to go back to work when she is 18 mo. I checked out the Primrose Center in Hope Valley Farms. I was surprised by how nice of a center it was. I would definitely recommend them, and we are thinking about enrolling our daughter there. It is beautifully maintained and the providers I met seemed very involved and caring.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:03 AM

39 posts, read 91,148 times
Hi again, OP here. We've checked out all the childcare center options in central Durham and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on in-home daycares in Durham. We want to make sure we cover all the bases and check out as many options as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:05 AM

66 posts, read 143,482 times
My husband is an employee at Duke U. and I actually had the university email me a list of in home daycares. DM me if you want this list. I am probably going back to work in January 2010 when my baby is one. As I posted earlier, we are probably going to go with Primrose in Hope Valley Farms - a beautiful daycare. However, I have heard good things about the in home daycares. The list I have gives loads of info, including star ratings, locations, hours, contacts, etc. You could visit the various centers and see for yourself what your thoughts are. I hope I can help you!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,130 times
Default Wondering how your experience has been at Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtuttle View Post
I don't mean to offend you. If I have, I apologize. I can't, in good conscience, pretend to not notice that your message is a string of justifications and excuses for the lousy conditions at Asbury. It's unfortunate that not all day care is of the same quality.

I urge you to visit Primary Colors or Kin or Duke or Bright Horizons Independence Park and compare them to the dark, dingy basement at Asbury. If you think the difference between these and Asbury amounts to a couple of sinks, I suggest that others who read this not take your advice and investigate the other options I've listed.

I found it very enlightening that the director of Asbury, whom I personally found to be likable, is working in the kitchen for a few weeks. I would like to believe that the duties of the director are important. So are those of the 'cook', though the food preparation at Asbury could hardly be called cooking. I assume that each of those roles is suffering while one person does both jobs. I find it comforting to know that if someone is out for weeks at my kid's day care, they'll manage it in a way that doesn't decrease the quality of the center, which I think Asbury's approach does.

Per your question, I saw one of the child care providers at Asbury carry an infant into the infant room and drop him on his face onto the crib mattress from a height of about 24 inches. That day I spent about 30 minutes in the infant room. In that time, there was an infant in a swing facing the wall from about a foot away. That child spent that 30 minutes staring at the wall, not sleeping. Not very stimulating, especially given the darkness of the basement.

I don't mean to pick on Asbury. There are plenty of other low quality care facilities in Durham. For instance, there's Durham Nursery and Preschool.
Hi - I've sent you a private message, but I've wondered how your experience has been at Duke Children's Campus. I am considering a spot there.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary