Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,801 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating from college in May and getting married in July, and my fiance and I are trying to find an area somewhere in the Triangle to live in until we figure out where we want to live permanently. We LOVE downtown Durham, especially the Brightleaf and American Tobacco areas, but I've lived there my entire life, and I'd kind of like to find a new area to explore.

I've started researching Raleigh, but I'm coming up dry when it comes to areas with the same kind of feel. I see there are some historic residential neighborhoods, but we're looking for something more urban (he's moving here from New York City, so that's the compromise). The closest thing I've seen to what I'm talking about is The Cotton Mill, but we don't want a condo.

Is the Internet hiding these areas in Raleigh from me? Or are they just not there?

If you know of any cool apartments hidden away in downtown Raleigh (or anywhere else nearby you think we'd like) in the $1000/month price range, we'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,140,628 times
just off the top of my head, check out oberlin court and 712 tucker st, and also craigslist if you want an individual apt.

i hope your fiance isnt moving to raleigh thinking it's going to be "not quite NYC, but maybe like Chicago or Boston," cuz as i'm sure you know, raleigh is TINY and not really urban

(i'm still moving there, just sayin...)

Old 02-20-2009, 07:45 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,617,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmcclenny View Post
I'm graduating from college in May and getting married in July, and my fiance and I are trying to find an area somewhere in the Triangle to live in until we figure out where we want to live permanently. We LOVE downtown Durham, especially the Brightleaf and American Tobacco areas, but I've lived there my entire life, and I'd kind of like to find a new area to explore.

I've started researching Raleigh, but I'm coming up dry when it comes to areas with the same kind of feel. I see there are some historic residential neighborhoods, but we're looking for something more urban (he's moving here from New York City, so that's the compromise). The closest thing I've seen to what I'm talking about is The Cotton Mill, but we don't want a condo.

Is the Internet hiding these areas in Raleigh from me? Or are they just not there?

If you know of any cool apartments hidden away in downtown Raleigh (or anywhere else nearby you think we'd like) in the $1000/month price range, we'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance.
Well, I am taking a stab in the dark here and assuming you are referring to loft style residences since you don't want a "condo". The truth is, condos come in many forms, and they can resemble townhouses, apartments and lofts, so if you could specify what exactly you would like to find, that might help us give some suggestions. There are not really many apartment complexes in downtown Raleigh proper, but there are a few in the Glenwood South/Hillsborough St/Cameron Village vicinity.

If you are looking for a loft, while I've only seen photos, it seems as though Cotton Mill might be loft-esque. I am sure that some owners rent their condos out. It is not in the core of downtown, but definitely walkable to that area, plus there is a nearby stop on the new downtown Circulator bus route (free).

If you want to be closer in, there are some condos on W Martin St and Harrington in the warehouse district and also at Founder's Row near Moore Square and City Market. There aren't many units there, so I wouldn't set my heart on finding a rental in that particular complex, and I have no idea what they would rent for. There are some newer luxury condos in the core, such as the Dawson, Palladium Plaza, etc. I have seen units advertised for rent in some of these buildings, but they are probably over $1,000/month.

If you don't have to be within the core, I would suggest looking in the Glenwood South and Cameron Village areas, since they are definitely close enough to walk downtown. A few straight-up apartment complexes are Boylan Apartments, Cameron Court, Raleigh Apartments, and the yet-to-be-completed 712 Tucker that Gucci mentioned (although I have a feeling these will be fairly pricey). The first three are older buildings and may not have things like washer/dryer in the unit. I believe that the Boylan Apartments were recently put on the Historic Register and were renovated in 2006. I wouldn't entirely rule out condos, since they are all different and you might find something you like. There are a bunch in the Cameron Village and Fletcher Park areas, and some are rented out within your price range. You are going to have to do a lot of searching on craigslist and driving around to look for "For Rent" signs to find some of these places.

You are not going to find a NYC urban feel in Raleigh, but you will find some nice walkable areas.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:05 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,705,915 times
The Five Points area (of Raleigh) is a little bit like downtown Durham, but is also among the more expensive neighborhoods.

Since you are right over in Durham, just take a few weekend days and come explore.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,801 times
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

What I meant when I said that we didn't want a condo was that we're only interested in renting, not buying anything. My fiance has also lived in Chapel Hill so he's familiar with the area, but we both like the idea of living in a walkable area,which means that it really doesn't have to be downtown.

We're definitely going to come explore now that we know where to look. Thanks so much for all of your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary