Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 10:31 AM

5 posts, read 12,680 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving from Boston to Durham in May because I want to live near family members in Clayton and I like everything I've read about Durham. I've heard Chapel Hill is much better for living car-free, but it really doesn't appeal to me (too small and collegiate--I want a university town but more of a city.) I love the photos I've seen posted of Watts-Hillandale/9th Street (thanks Bull Rising!) I am wondering how it might be to live there and get around by bus/bike or walking. Or if there are other neighborhoods that would be workable. The places I would be going would be Duke University, the Whole Foods, any nature spots in the area (Eno River, Tobacco Trail, Duke Forest?) 9th street, and if possible a gym with a pool. I would be prepared to take taxis a few times a month, ride a bike if it isn't too hilly or trafficky, or take public transportation.

I do have some idea what I'm getting into, having been to Raleigh a lot :-)
I'm going to be looking for housemates in an older home, not apartment complexes. But I've never been to Durham so have no idea how it is laid out. I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 10:47 AM

18 posts, read 56,486 times
having also moved from boston, lt me tell you it is not at all the same convienence we experienced there. there are a few place you could go but without a car will be an adjustment in the amount of things you can do.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:07 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,724,900 times
Let me second what jess1803 said. It is much more difficult to live without a car here than it is in Boston. Up there, beyond the extensive train and bus system, there was (if you lived in Boston or nearby suburbs) easy ZipCar availability if you needed a car to head out somewhere for the day, and a lot of local car rental places if you needed a vehicle for longer. The whole area, Durham included, lacks the same sort of extensive public transit system (much fewer lines of service, and less frequent service), and it's not nearly as convenient to find a car if you just need one for an hour or two. Plus, things are so much more spread out around here.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:19 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,028,643 times
Sumari69, where will you be working? Your commute should be a major consideration, whether you come here with a car or not.

Bull City Rising used to live in Boston & he lives in the area that interests you the most. I know he's taken the bus to work before, but I can't tell you exactly where he's employed. Hopefully he'll see your post & he'll comment here. You might also look up his blog (just look up his screen name in any search engine).

Old 02-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Default best neighborhoods in Durham for living without a car

Thanks--I know it will be nothing like Boston. I have lived in Richmond VA as well, and though the transportation wasn't good, it was good enough for my purposes. I will be working at Duke or at NCCU. Boston is so incredibly good for public transit...I wish I could take the cold climate but it is just too much for me.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:01 PM

P.S. One thing that might help is, I don't shop at big box stores (or much at all.) My aunt and uncle in Clayton can always come up sometimes and take me to stores. So, basically, as long as I could get to work and get to some outdoor places (trails, ponds, woods) and get to shops/restaurants on 9th street I'll be happy. One thing I'd like to know is, how hilly is it? Do you see many people cycling?

Old 02-20-2009, 12:15 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,071,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumari69 View Post
P.S. One thing that might help is, I don't shop at big box stores (or much at all.) My aunt and uncle in Clayton can always come up sometimes and take me to stores. So, basically, as long as I could get to work and get to some outdoor places (trails, ponds, woods) and get to shops/restaurants on 9th street I'll be happy. One thing I'd like to know is, how hilly is it? Do you see many people cycling?
A quote from a recent local transportation focus group:

Person 1: "I like it here because its not too hilly for bike commuting."
Person 2 (me): "Its also not too flat!" I'm also a bike commuter.

Its quite true, this is an area of rolling hills. There are some flat stretches, but the general rule is either a slight incline or decline. On the plus side, there are very few sustained climbs, especially in the city areas where its more flat than not. FWIW, I've found Durham to be quite bike-friendly, especially relative to neighboring towns.

For what you're looking for, the neighborhoods around Duke's East Campus will most likely be best. I certainly think going carless in that area is reasonable, especially if you've done it in Richmond. The biggest frustration you'll have is the rather infrequent bus service (usually every 30 minutes).

Old 02-20-2009, 12:17 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,028,643 times
Forgot to say this before: there are Zip Cars on Duke's campus now (as well as at UNC in Chapel Hill, but I don't think that helps you much). You do not have to be a university student or employee to join the program.
Zipcar : Organizations : Duke University

Old 02-20-2009, 12:40 PM

thank you all! This is very helpful. I'm very glad to hear about the biking. I have a really good shared housing possibility in Watts-Hillandale so I'm particularly hoping that would work. I did find Bull Rising's blog so I'll check that out.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,222 times
I would live in Trinity Park or Old West Durham. You can walk to 9th street & whole foods and get on the American Tobacco Trail pretty easily. I love Durham, I hope you like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary