U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,854 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new to this so bare with me please !

I am interested in moving to clayton and any and all info would be helpful. I want the benefits of city living with the comforts of country living. Schools are very important neighborhoods that have children (mine are 4 & 5 ) friendly people in town and neighbors are a plus activities for chilren and adults etc any info is appreciated.
also what is the weather like and what are the property taxes like.
thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 02:25 PM

9,845 posts, read 29,202,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblaze View Post
Hi,

I am interested in moving to clayton and any and all info would be helpful. I want the benefits of city living with the comforts of country living. Schools are very important neighborhoods that have children (mine are 4 & 5 ) friendly people in town and neighbors are a plus activities for chilren and adults etc any info is appreciated.
thanks in advance
Silverblaze,

Welcome to the forum. I don't live in Clayton but there are others on this site that do and I'm sure they will be along shortly to chime in. In the meantime you can use the search function (upper right hand coner of screen) to look for old posts about Clayton. I'm sure you will find a wealth of information starting there. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2009, 05:54 PM

615 posts, read 1,451,716 times
We moved to Clayton last year from New Jersey and love it. As you said, its semi-"country" living but within 20 minutes of Raleigh. A nice downtown with small shops, comedy club, restaurants etc. It is also 10-15 minutes from the bigger shopping centers like Walmart, Target, Kohls etc...with tons of chain-type restuarants(Fridays, Chiles, Outback etc.)

Nearby lakes(15-25 minutes) include Lake Benson(walking trails, playgrounds, softball fields etc.), Tucker Lake or Silver Lake( both great for summer swimming w/ rope swings, water-slides etc.), Jordan Lake and tons of small ponds/rivers all over the county for fishing. Dh Kayaks many of them.

There are many small parks dotted here and there, and it has most of the same activities for kids as most small towns do(Soccer, softball, dance classes, gymnastics, karate, cub-scouts, activities at your neighborhood rec. center , community pools, etc.) Local churches(some huge, some small) also always having things going on for the entire family. The C3 church is one of the largest in the Clayton area with thousands of people attending and something going on every weekend(dances, charity events, picnics, etc.)

There are many planned communities in Clayton with neighborhood pools, schools, daycares, playgrounds, walking trails etc. Average new home prices from $150k-300,000 on nice treed lots(no basements here though). Most schools get high ratings on Greatschools.com. Most neighborhoods are people who have relocated from out of state.

Property taxes on avg. :$1300-$1900 annual.
Weather--Coldest months are Jan. and Feb. with about 4-6 inches of snowfall per year(if that). Enough to make it seasonal and fun.(snow is gone/melted usually in 2-3 days)But most days, even in the winter, are usually in the 50's. I'm a teacher and there has only been 1 or days in my almost 2 years here that I have not been able to take the kids outside for recess due to cold weather.

Mild in the fall(thru early Dec.) and spring--(60's & 70's)... VERY low heating bills.
Summers are Hot-- 80's & 90's.(May-Sept.) That is when we head to the beach..LOL(About 90 minutes away).

I think I covered most of your questions. Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:34 PM

431 posts, read 1,284,623 times
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblaze View Post
Hi,

thanks in advance
We just moved to Clayton last month from Long Island....made three long trips for vacas/visits to make sure it was what we wanted...

There are so many developments here that there is basically something for everyone...from small communities to large ones with golf courses, swimming pools, fitness centers, walking trails ....there are open areas/wooded lots and in between....

We are thrilled with the schools....we have 3 boys 13, 11, 5 so that was #1 on our list.....we chose here to avoid redistricting.....people are very friendly and welcoming....as the pp said we have plenty of shops/stores/resturaunts fast food/sit down, banks food stores ....big box...etc....
most things take 5 to 15 mins to get to.....we're not lacking for anything...there are plenty of activites to do.....the boys have been bringing home flyers for signups for baseball/soccer from all different places and we have some local parks that offer plenty to do also..,

Its worth taking the time to visit when you can.....you need to see for yourself and see if its the right fit...

It was for us.....as I said we've been here for a month and it feels like home already....
Suzanne

Old 02-20-2009, 09:12 PM

keep all info coming can anybody tell me about the following subdivisions
Williams Ridge
Smith ridge
North farm
Lions gate
Emerald Point
magnolia Village
Georgetown
Brittany woods
Cobblestone
Ives Landing
Flowers Plantation

Old 02-21-2009, 09:04 AM

143 posts, read 687,994 times
I live in Smith Ridge. What would you like to know about it? You can PM me if you want more info!

Old 02-21-2009, 09:54 AM

10,714 posts, read 21,826,559 times
If you are from Long Island or New Jersey, you'll probably love it, since it seems that that's where everyone who's moved to Clayton in the past few years is from.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:09 PM

223 posts, read 544,611 times
I don't know many of those subdivisions and you definitely need to visit to get the right feel. Lionsgate and CObblestone are right off 70 and close to everything. Georgetown is just outside of downtown Clayton. Magnolia Viallge and Flowers are bit further out of town but there is agrocery store nearby. Ives Landing looks pretty new and is zoned for Smithfield schools for middle and high school. You would probably want to look for schools that are within Clayton if you can. One big thing to consider is whether a proerty is within city limits or not. If it is, you will pay additional property taxes and will have to buy your electricity, water, sewer and trash from the Town of Clayton. This adds some additonal costs for sure. Not everyone from Clayton though is from Long Island or NJ- there are many also from Michigan, Mass, Maine, NH, Florida and California. The Fonville Morrisey website is very helpful in getting information about the neighborhoods in terms of which schools they are zoned for, etc. For those with a family, there is plenty to do as children's activities will keep you busy. There is plenty for the kids to do sports wise, dance, cheer, art, music, whatever their interests will be. Plenty of places to eat, basic shopping with additional shopping 20 minutes wither way on 70- Smithfield outlets or White Oak shopping. Malls are about 30-40 with Crabtree or Triangle. For adults, there is a comedy club in town as well as the Clayton Cneter which has various shows throughout the season for different tastes. Raeigh has theatre. Movies are within 20 minutes. Many of the neighborhoods have social groups like Bunco or book clubs, supper clubs, whatever to other things to do. I personally think it is a nice town.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:33 PM

hey everybody thanks for all the info its a great help, when i finally make the move I will be moving from south Ala.( I hate it hear ) a very small town very poor school systems etc and there is a town with more shopping etc about 20 miles from me but still not alot to offer I am leaving a 3000sqf home on 12 acres for more of a city life and I cant wait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary