Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:58 PM

147 posts, read 426,935 times

Advertisements

The base salary newmom mentioned is the base salary for NC. What you have to take into account is the stipend that is added to the base depending upon which county you are working in. I have been out of the game for six years. I do not know what the stipend for Wake County is, or for that matter what it is in Johnston County. I know it varied quite a bit and was much higher in the larger counties. I also know that the smaller counties, such as Johnston County tend to have a better reputation for being teacher friendly. The larger the county the more BS you are going to have to deal with.

I would also be very careful what areas of certification you let them know you hold. I was certified in two areas, once they knew they could place be in the BEH class, I was pretty much type cast for that area only. I would have preferred to stay with learning disabilities education. Also NC is a non-union state. The teachers association down here has no teeth, but plenty of bark. I wish you all the best in finding a position. I would choose the smaller counties myself with less political BS, but is $$$ is a major factor the Wake County will be the better route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 11:48 PM

194 posts, read 325,154 times
To find out about teacher salaries - go to Wake County Public School System
You find exactly what salary level you would be entering at in Wake County.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:21 AM

451 posts, read 1,651,680 times
You did not mention if you plan on teaching at the elementary, middle or high school level. If you're at an elementary school I believe your child can attend that school, even if they are not assigned there (Wake county at least), so that may alleviate one concern.

But really, why so concerned about redistricting and bus routes for a child you don't even have yet? You're at least 5 years away from that being a reality. A lot can change by then. Also, nothing says you have to live and work in the same school district. I'd just try getting a job first, get some experience in this area, get to know the people in this area, and then feel free to switch schools or districts to whatever suits your needs at the time.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:23 PM

615 posts, read 1,501,180 times
I will echo what kjchess said below. I work in Johnston County and know many that came from Wake county(and still live there..but work here) to avoid all of the "bs" that goes on there. THey say its worth the pay decrease to them.
HOWEVER...I also know teachers that left Johnston to GO to Wake for more pay. THe few I still keep in contact with are less than happy with their move as far as working conditions(year round+ administration bs), however are happy with their pay increase compared to what they had here in Johnston.

SO I guess you just have to determine which is more important to you and your family.

<<<<The base salary newmom mentioned is the base salary for NC. What you have to take into account is the stipend that is added to the base depending upon which county you are working in. I have been out of the game for six years. I do not know what the stipend for Wake County is, or for that matter what it is in Johnston County. I know it varied quite a bit and was much higher in the larger counties. I also know that the smaller counties, such as Johnston County tend to have a better reputation for being teacher friendly. The larger the county the more BS you are going to have to deal with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary