Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:05 AM

194 posts, read 490,844 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are interested in a home in Preston and wondering if anyone has heard of negotiating the upfront club membership to the Preston Country Club in the negotiation. We were thinking of asking the realtor to do this off of his cut, since we are not working with a buyers agent.

Anyone have input?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 10:19 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3muskateers View Post
Hello,

We are interested in a home in Preston and wondering if anyone has heard of negotiating the upfront club membership to the Preston Country Club in the negotiation. We were thinking of asking the realtor to do this off of his cut, since we are not working with a buyers agent.

Anyone have input?

Thanks
Is the agent working as a dual agent, for you and the seller? If so, I'd ask if he has given a discount to his sellers or if he is taking the full commission (typically split between the listing agent and the selling agent).

I have often negotiated the membership fees for my buyers...usually asking the builder to pay.

Never hurts to ask!

Vicki

Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Isn't the country club separate from the various housing developments (a separate legal entity)? If so, how does one include the fees in a house deal?

Old 02-22-2009, 02:35 PM

280 posts, read 741,269 times
Can the sellers transfer their Preston country club membership to the buyers ? or would it be a new membership ?

Old 02-22-2009, 04:15 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Isn't the country club separate from the various housing developments (a separate legal entity)? If so, how does one include the fees in a house deal?
Buyers can ASK for anything. They ask for closing costs to be paid by the sellers. They ask for furniture sometimes so why not ask for the seller to pay membership to the YMCA or the CC?

As long as the lender allows it, should be fine.

Vicki

Old 02-22-2009, 04:53 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Buyers can ASK for anything. They ask for closing costs to be paid by the sellers. They ask for furniture sometimes so why not ask for the seller to pay membership to the YMCA or the CC?

As long as the lender allows it, should be fine.

Vicki
That is the key, the Preston membership fee is steep enough that most lenders *these days* I think would balk at any significant discount rolled into the price of the home. My guess is it's a "no-go" unless we're talking a 1 Mil+ home in Preston, but like Vicki says, it cannot hurt to ask!

I do remember a new home builder (not in the Preston neighborhoods but nearby) offering memberships to Preston at one point, my assumption was that he wasn't having to pay full price for those members however.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:54 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
That is the key, the Preston membership fee is steep enough that most lenders *these days* I think would balk at any significant discount rolled into the price of the home. My guess is it's a "no-go" unless we're talking a 1 Mil+ home in Preston, but like Vicki says, it cannot hurt to ask!

I do remember a new home builder (not in the Preston neighborhoods but nearby) offering memberships to Preston at one point, my assumption was that he wasn't having to pay full price for those members however.
I know Drees was doing that for Coles Creek. You could ask for a decorating allowance to cover it. Our lender currently allows up to 6% of the purchase price in concessions, but some are more strict.

Last edited by sls76; 02-22-2009 at 05:05 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
I know Drees was doing that for Coles Creek. You could ask for a decorating allowance to cover it. Our lender currently allows up to 6% of the purchase price in concessions, but some are more strict.
Yeah, there is more flexibility with new construction because the builder can take a hit on materials or services... Those still equate to a tangible asset that is worth a market price (even though the builder provided it at a discount). At the end of the day the bank just cares that the sale price isn't more than the value of the home.

If the OP is buying an existing home, I can't see a bank allowing for any substantial discount towards the membership from the buyers. $3-4K towards the fee possibly since that's just like throwing in some cash to close, but we're talking a Preston membership. That's only 10% of the fee. It might work coming from the realtor's commissions.

All speculation on my part. One just has to ask and see!

Old 02-22-2009, 08:00 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I believe that Highcroft Village has been doing this too, as long as you apply within 60 days.
The home must appraise for the total purchase price with the membership bringing "No Additional Value."

Old 02-23-2009, 04:15 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
Yeah, there is more flexibility with new construction because the builder can take a hit on materials or services... Those still equate to a tangible asset that is worth a market price (even though the builder provided it at a discount). At the end of the day the bank just cares that the sale price isn't more than the value of the home.

If the OP is buying an existing home, I can't see a bank allowing for any substantial discount towards the membership from the buyers. $3-4K towards the fee possibly since that's just like throwing in some cash to close, but we're talking a Preston membership. That's only 10% of the fee. It might work coming from the realtor's commissions.

All speculation on my part. One just has to ask and see!
I know that the lender we work with allows up to 6% of the purchase price in concessions. On a $500k house, that's $30k. A social membership to Preston is about half that. I was suggesting that if you can't work out a deal with the realtor (I have no idea how that would work), ask for a decorating allowance to cover the initiation fee. Of course the seller and the lender have to agree and the house has to appraise appropriately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary