Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:15 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,654 times

Advertisements

Several of my friends and people I have talked to here in the new york area are from north carolina. They have told me in the past that the Raleigh area has gotten more 'New Yorkish' over the past 10 years.
The population is on the rise, there are more transients moving in and the rudeness/fast pace of life has been drawn in from new residents. All the conclusions people make about the south being slow, friendly and calm seems to not be the case according to my friends. ANY COMMENTS OR STORIES FROM PEOPLE IN NORTH CAROLINA METRO AREAS??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
It's rather New York-centric to suggest that Raleigh, or anywhere, has become more "New Yorkish." Yes, like many areas of the country that have been experiencing growth, the Raleigh area has drawn people from outside the region, some of them even from New York. I would say that the region changes the people more than the people change the region, however. In my experience, people who move here tend to acclimate to the culture here pretty well, and learn to appreciate a slightly different way of doing things and of interacting with people.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:48 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Bad driving habits, crime, and other rudeness have increased over the 20 years we've been here.

Not only New Yorkers are to blame. Lots of transplants from many areas flooded here like lemmings.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:53 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Bad driving habits, crime, and other rudeness have increased over the 20 years we've been here.

Not only New Yorkers are to blame. Lots of transplants from many areas flooded here like lemmings.
You crack me up!!! I hope you are staying warm! From now on...at least once a day, you must say something NICE without throwing in the negative! Come on, I know you can do it!

Vicki

Old 02-23-2009, 02:10 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,240 times
Default reply

We have hade a huge influx of yankees move here over the last 10 years. Yankees have been moving here steadily since the 1960's. It is a trend that will probably continue with the conditions in many areas up north.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:43 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
My family moved to Raleigh from California in 1974. At the time, the majority of those moving to the area were coming from IBM towns in New York state...not so much the city. As time passed and more companies grew or expanded in the area, transfers from other areas started appearing. They included Canadians from Northern Telecom (now Nortel), Jerseyites (is that a word?) for pharmaceutical jobs, Californians from the Silicon Valley tech industries, etc. As the city's population boomed through the 80's and 90's and areas in Texas stumbled, an influx of Mexican and Mexican American laborers found their way to the Triangle from Texas to fill the demand in construction. The universities brought in more International students and residents and the tech industry has grown the Indian and Chinese populations from the ground up over the last 30 years.
As the Triangle has gained more national exposure and has built its "brand", those who come to the area are coming on their own instead of being tranferred. I think that's a big difference now than in decades past. I have seen a lot of Florida plates as well as those from Michigan, Massachusetts, Texas, NJ, NY and the surrounding Southern states.
My experience hasn't been that the area has become more rude as much as it's become a blending of peoples and cultures. To me, that was much more evident in the 70s than it is today. Then it was all about the juxtaposition of New Yorkers and Southerners. And, even then, I found that the two cultures influenced each other rather than one of them dominating the other. I think that gives the Triangle a really balanced culture that has broad appeal to many people and continues to change as time passes.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:45 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

That's why I prefer Cary instead.

I am not sure if the OP meant Raleigh or Raleigh area, but we are in Cary and moved from the northeast. I am a country redneck type. I don't like anything about New York.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:18 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Definitely the "Southernness" of the area has been heavily diluted over the past 40 years with the steady influx of outsiders (mostly Northerners). In some ways, this has been a good thing (making the area more "cosmopolitan", more types of restaurants, more progressive politics, etc) but in other ways, definitely the "Southern gentility" has been affected, rather severely in some areas. I have to chuckle at Charlton Dude's saying "that's why he prefers Cary" because without a doubt, Cary is the most transplant-heavy area in the whole metro! Other places such as Clayton seem to be direct pipelines to NY/NJ as well, so I would imagine that areas like Cary and Clayton have less "Southernness" than other parts of the Triangle.

As a native of Raleigh, I find that Raleigh itself has a good mix; you will hear all kind of accents in almost any locale, whether it's work, a restaurant, a doctor's office, etc. There is still a large native poopulation here, and by now, even a second-generation of children of "IBM Yankees" who moved here in the 1960s (the original "RTP transplants"), but those children are now grown up and consider themselves natives, with aspects of both Northernness and Southernness. In Cary, I almost never hear a Southern accent anymore, and I do find the traffic more aggressive, etc there. I haven't been in Clayton in awhile so I can't comment.

It does seem to be the thing (from numerous anecdotes I've heard) for people from Long Island (which I consider NYC) to move here and then invite 20 of their closest friends to all move down here as well (presumably in a nearby neighborhood) so it may be that there are "pockets of LI" in certain parts of the area.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:46 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I have to chuckle at Charlton Dude's saying "that's why he prefers Cary" because without a doubt, Cary is the most transplant-heavy area in the whole metro!
I was not stating that Cary did not have transplants. I was commenting on Saturnfan's statement that Raleigh has transformed into a place that has bad driving habits, crime and other rudeness. I find Cary to be quite the opposite of how he is describing his town of Raleigh, thus that is why I prefer Cary. The description of Raleigh is coming directly from a resident of the city, not from me.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,810 times
All I can say is that I'm glad that IBM brought its lemmings down from NY to create what people know as RTP today. If it hadn't, I wouldn't be here, because my husband wouldn't have been relocated to the triangle 6 years ago. That said, IBM brought with it a talent pool that other, less known companies were able to fish from, and that fueled the explosion together with the factors we've all talked about ad nauseum on this board, of the triangle.

People are people wherever you go - bloom where you're planted. If you get transplanted, you'll bloom again. Why some people have to see growth and progress as a constant negative I'll never quite get. None of us "own" the region of the country we're from, so why is there this constant feeling of territorial behavior?

If you have more people, there will be congestion. And people will get frustrated. Like, Duh. [insert pithy valley girl comment here]. Crime grows with population, and also grows in times of economic downturn. OK ... I guess if you are so darn unhappy with all the changes and what the area now represents from your perspective, why are you staying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary